Croker Creativity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
I just want to preface this with “I like Lachlan Croker”. But… I feel he is purely an honest workhorse and goes as hard as anything but he is not an engaging or creative hooker, he gives great service but does not dart and engage markers enough to draw in defenders, Karl Lawton is not the answer as he is pretty much a carbon copy of Croker and does not do this either. We need to swap out Lawton for GCKT and bring in a player that ups the tempo in attack when he comes on when and troubles tired big lads while Croker has a rest. Croker is fine in his role early on but we need to swap him out a 2/3rds of the way through the first half and the middle of the 2nd half to bring our big lads onto the ball to get defenders on the back foot which will give Turbo and Koula room to move. Hooker is one area we have not changed in years and it is what is holding us back imho.

Last edited:
The discussion has been done to death. When we're winning and playing well he's much improved and on the fringe of origin. When we're losing and not playing well he should be dropped. Discussion in a nutshell.
Lawton should be dropped not Croker, If you read the post you would understand. He is singled out when we lose because our attack disappears when croker has tackled himself into a standstill. Thats why we need to inject GCKT to up tempo.

We have 430 pages on Croker and his creativity or lack of.
Im not one of these add it to the 430 pages guys, i couldn’t be f’d reading through mountains of dribble to make a point. New threads don’t cost anything so get over it.You ‘no new thread nazis’ are why most people don’t bother on here anymore, its too much hassle reading and clicking to find where the current statement is at. Pain in the arse.

Lawton should be dropped not Croker, If you read the post you would understand. He is singled out when we lose because our attack disappears when croker has tackled himself into a standstill. Thats why we need to inject GCKT to up tempo.
I've read the post, you're not saying anything that hasn't already been highlighted in the thread highlighted by @XV-1

Im not one of these add it to the 430 pages guys, i couldn’t be f’d reading through mountains of dribble to make a point. New threads don’t cost anything so get over it.You ‘no new thread nazis’ are why most people don’t bother on here anymore, its too much hassle reading and clicking to find where the current statement is at. Pain in the arse.

You only have to read the last page. It supports your view and very easy to add your viewpoint. That is actually easier than starting a new thread.

However, you say you are too lazy to even read one page or so you like seeing your name at the top of a new thread?

I just want to preface this with “I like Lachlan Croker”. But… I feel he is purely an honest workhorse and goes as hard as anything but he is not an engaging or creative hooker, he gives great service but does not dart and engage markers enough to draw in defenders, Karl Lawton is not the answer as he is pretty much a carbon copy of Croker and does not do this either. We need to swap out Lawton for GCKT and bring in a player that ups the tempo in attack when he comes on when and troubles tired big lads while Croker has a rest. Croker is fine in his role early on but we need to swap him out a 2/3rds of the way through the first half and the middle of the 2nd half to bring our big lads onto the ball to get defenders on the back foot which will give Turbo and Koula room to move. Hooker is one area we have not changed in years and it is what is holding us back imho.
Definitely the speed and creativity around the ruck is an area for improvement.

Humphries ball distribution from dummy halve yesterday was very ordinary, though his willingness to defend is an attribute similar to Croker, he is still developing in this role.

Gordies defence yesterday was terrible, though his running game and ball distribution in my view is the best that we have available in the squad, if he can start getting the areas of his game that need improving up to the required standards, he would be my pick at 14.

Its a difficult one as I agree Lawton is not the answer to come on at dummy halve.

There is a lack of quality number nines in the comp, Grant, Cookie and API are the standouts for me,

Croker has improved out of sight , one of the first picked these days.

But agree with , at times , lack of creativity which possibly boils down to him being shagged after doing so much defence.

So , it’s Lawton you need to be arguing about not Croker.

I thought Gordon was “ the man “ but gee he looked pretty big average on Saturday when I watched the BWSE game.

Maybe Humphreys should be given a run , couldn’t hurt.

If we win a premiership with Croker at 9 it will be because everyone else played out of their skins. I'm hoping Humphreys can force his way into the jersey by season's end but the problem is Croker does the tough stuff so well, so he's hard to replace.

Doubt it has been any lack of creativity [ or perceived ] on Croker"s part that has been the main factor in the side generally failing on the weekend or for segments of the Eels game .
Seems to be generally accepted the tradeoff between Croker "s commendable stoic and competitive mid field role as a 9 and not being the most dynamic 9 in asking questions with the oppositions defensive line .
Being rested more so this season and don "t think that the side loses that much having Lawman coming on instead .
Really good try saving effort by Lawton against the Dragons and handy mid field player with his overall ability .
Just can not see Humphries or Gordie offering any improvement with the present 9 arrangement .
Just so many things went wrong outside of froggy "s control on the weekend and also for the Eels setback .
As others has suggested , it is what it is with the current 9 situation unless some notable and highly priced alternative 9 is considered from elsewhere and can not see that happening any time soon and with the present team cap balance

Yeah I probably should have used the title ‘we need a good sidekick for Croker’ I wasn’t saying his creativity is a problem more that we need someone to complement him and his style. I really like him as a player and his contribution to the team is huge both on and off the field by all accounts, but we just can’t seem to go to that next level and I think a good attacking hooker would balance it up.

Yeah I probably should have used the title ‘we need a good sidekick for Croker’ I wasn’t saying his creativity is a problem more that we need someone to complement him and his style. I really like him as a player and his contribution to the team is huge both on and off the field by all accounts, but we just can’t seem to go to that next level and I think a good attacking hooker would balance it up.
I have no issue with this being a seperate thread and it’s just my opinion, but I don’t think Croker is an issue anymore. He is steady and does a job. I think our attack struggled on the weekend because of tactics, rather than who was out there. We can blow the best defence wide open with our list of attacking stars, we just need to stop looking for easy tries. There’s no building pressure, just constant shifting to the edges. It won’t work against Saints, let alone Penrith. We have to earn the right to shift to the edges.

Why not try Humphries at starting and Gordan on the bench?
We need to start giving our junior a run otherwise we’ll continue to buy every other teams rubbish.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8