D#% khead Bill Harrrigan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well we all know Harrigan hates Manly, always has.

While i agree that Refs shouldnt be able to be talked into a decision, player should be able to highlight an obvious reffing error. And that was a penalty.

I think its time that the Captains call be introduced so the captains can hold the refs accountable for their mistakes.

Bill Harrigon was the beginning of the referees being greater (in their opinion!) than the game they control. Somewhere along the way, first as a referee and then as referee's boss, the role of the guy with the whistle changed from facilitating fair play and keeping the game from getting out of hand in an impartial manner to that of a powerful force with more influence on the result of any given game than that of any given player.

IMHO, the best referee is one you never notice. Now, we have not one but two in bright pink to stand out, running around with their thoughts being broadcast to the viewing public as though they are the most important men on the field. They're overly dramatic, egotistical and far too influential with regards to the result of a game: up to and including the GF.

Hollywood Bill always came across as a bloke jealous of the players, and intent on being the "star" of the show. The current generation of pinkies adore being the centre of attention, safe in the knowledge that a game or even season changing mistake carries little to no punishment (yeah dropped to reggies for a week... then reinstated!!! FMD!!) whilst players and fans are left feeling a little hollow (if not gutted!) by the fact that they were beaten not by a better team, but by an incompetent, possibly biased, certainly overly officious twerp with a Hitler complex.

Anyhow, if you can't be bothered reading my mini rant, Bill's a jerk!

KOMORI said:
Bill Harrigon was the beginning of the referees being greater (in their opinion!) than the game they control. Somewhere along the way, first as a referee and then as referee's boss, the role of the guy with the whistle changed from facilitating fair play and keeping the game from getting out of hand in an impartial manner to that of a powerful force with more influence on the result of any given game than that of any given player.

IMHO, the best referee is one you never notice. Now, we have not one but two in bright pink to stand out, running around with their thoughts being broadcast to the viewing public as though they are the most important men on the field. They're overly dramatic, egotistical and far too influential with regards to the result of a game: up to and including the GF.

Hollywood Bill always came across as a bloke jealous of the players, and intent on being the "star" of the show. The current generation of pinkies adore being the centre of attention, safe in the knowledge that a game or even season changing mistake carries little to no punishment (yeah dropped to reggies for a week... then reinstated!!! FMD!!) whilst players and fans are left feeling a little hollow (if not gutted!) by the fact that they were beaten not by a better team, but by an incompetent, possibly biased, certainly overly officious twerp with a Hitler complex.

Anyhow, if you can't be bothered reading my mini rant, Bill's a jerk!

Wow! I couldn't have said it any better myself!

dont knock bill. he is what we want from refs, consistency. He has been a dickhead for 2 decades. You just cant get more consistent than that

Can't agree Komori. He was the fittest and fastest ref. The best SOO games of all time we're reffed by him and his decisions always felt right. The refs back then we're paid peanuts and he was justified in seeking a better deal. He has always had an issue with Tooves and Manly to which I give him the customary finger salute. But he was streets ahead of most refs over more than the 4 decades I have been watching.

6/71 said:
Pretty sure Choc told Chez to stay down. It was clear as a bell on tv. If an opposing player told someone to stay down, or stayed down themselves, this forum would errupt.

It didn't cost Parts the game but it obviously gave us the opportunity to put together something special which the boys did.

Hopefully telling the boys to lie down doesn't become a common occurrence. It's a grubby tactic.

Seemed to me like Choc was taking the piss and making a point to the referees, ie. Moi Moi stayed down to milk a penalty so Cherry should too. Cherry was already on his feet when he said it, and there's no point telling somebody on his feet to stay down.

During the first half bill harrigan did say that wolfies no try should have been awarded as they should not be looking at it frame by frame (apparently its in the rules, well bills rules). He also said when the penalty count was 5 to nil that all penalties were legitimate and the count could have been more to manly. The forward pass when a try was on he also claimed should never have been called back.
His biggest problem is that he thinks he's never wrong. I heard him speak at a conference for school leaders and he claimed he has never made a mistake, which was why he got as far as he did according to him (I've always told my kids that we learn from our mistakes, don't know how bill deals with his kids making them).
The crap with refs calling players by their first names started with him, as did the studying of players who give away penalties!
Though I hate him, he was ok on the radio and the bias didn't come out until the DCE hit, which he admitted was high!

Bill Harrigan was the start of the game no longer being a sport, but a TV product. The cement truck should have flattened him in 1987.
Did He have no problem with Fui Fui staying down after a nothing tackle from Glenn Stewart and receiving a penalty?

6/71 said:
Pretty sure Choc told Chez to stay down. It was clear as a bell on tv. If an opposing player told someone to stay down, or stayed down themselves, this forum would errupt.

It didn't cost Parts the game but it obviously gave us the opportunity to put together something special which the boys did.

Hopefully telling the boys to lie down doesn't become a common occurrence. It's a grubby tactic.

It's not whether a player stays down or not that should be the determining factor in a penalty being awarded. Was DCE hit high ? 100% yes. Compare that to Gift on Fui Fui. Shouldn't have even been a penalty let alone a reportable offence.

I will always maintain that the main objective should be to, as near as practicable, eliminate refereeing errors. I have no issue with decisions going against Manly if they're right.

No one has said Peats should have been called for a double movement.

You can hardly complain that the referees didn't make an error so your team can get a leg up they don't deserve. We'll you can, but you look like a moron doing it.

bones said:
Bill Harrigan was the start of the game no longer being a sport, but a TV product. The cement truck should have flattened him in 1987.
Did He have no problem with Fui Fui staying down after a nothing tackle from Glenn Stewart and receiving a penalty?

The Fui incident was conveniently forgotten by Bill, he did however mention anincident from last week in the last minutes when Merrit was hit across the chest by Choc and tried to stay down but got back up straight away as the ref was yelling "milking, milking". Harrigan said Merritt could have stayed down and received a penalty, but what d@ckhead Bill didn't know was that Merritt was told to get up.

simon64 said:
6/71 said:

No one has said Peats should have been called for a double movement.

That's because it was 100% a fair try.

6/71 said:

It's only a grubby tactic if the player wasn't severely hit in the head by a tackler. What it was is a failure and mistake from the referees and touchies to see it in the first place.

No one saw the Gift 'hit' on Moi Moi as it never happened. Staying down in that situation I have no time for those doing it.

He doesn't mention the absolute blatant offside from the first set bomb by parra all 3 chasers were in front on the kicker yet they don't get called.

As for the tactic it's pretty clear choc says it tongue in cheek to stay down, I didn't think he had that in him to be honest.

I think buhrer argued the best case with the ref saying if he stays down you give a penalty.

What was obvious was that as soon as the game gets close and within 10 minutes of the end they put the whistle away, I hate that they don't ref the game on it's merits but ref to the penalty count, score and clock

"Milking it". What is that? If the referee sees the ball carrier is holding down the tackler then HE SHOULD GIVE A PENALTY against the team with the ball!!!!! That would quickly end "milking it".

At the moment the teams doing it either get rewarded by a penalty or just get called "milking it". Either way, there is no harm to them, so they keep doing it.

And it makes a joke of Toddy & co at the NRL saying the ruck needs speeding up. The players "milking it" obviously don't see it that way.

All the referees are doing by having to decide is he "milking it" or is it a penalty for a hold down, is putting more pressure on themselves.

Put "milking it" in the rule book and make it a penalty against the team doing it. That would fix it up quick.

Brissie Kid said:
"Milking it". What is that? If the referee sees the ball carrier is holding down the tackler then HE SHOULD GIVE A PENALTY against the team with the ball!!!!! That would quickly end "milking it".

At the moment the teams doing it either get rewarded by a penalty or just get called "milking it". Either way, there is no harm to them, so they keep doing it.

And it makes a joke of Toddy & co at the NRL saying the ruck needs speeding up. The players "milking it" obviously don't see it that way.

All the referees are doing by having to decide is he "milking it" or is it a penalty for a hold down, is putting more pressure on themselves.

Put "milking it" in the rule book and make it a penalty against the team doing it. That would fix it up quick.

Spot on, I cannot believe players aren't penalised for holding a defending player in the ruck, that is penalised everywhere else on the field, but apparently the rules don't extend to the ruck.

Players that are judged to be milking should be penalised.

The logic of the referees and the NRL is bizarre.

They will never have a crackdown on the attacking teams ever, whether it is playing the ball properly, walking off the mark or "milking it" in tackles.

They don't want to give more penalties even if by doing it the reward will be having to give less penalties and a producing a better game.

They want the attacking team to do whatever they want and the defence to be bystanders.

Someone should ask the NRL what is the right way to tackle a fully loaded Moi Moi coming straight at you???? Go around the knees and get a concussion??? Or do what Gift bravely did and sit him on his backside?

I was listening on the radio yesterday. At one stage a commentator pointed out that Parra players were all clearly offside but the ref knew Manly were leading the penalty count 6-2 and didn't want to blow out the count. Is that in the rule book Bill?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2