DCE at 9 our X factor for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Reserve Grader
Des should play DCE at 9 while Fainu is out.

As NRL turns into touch football, hookers are becoming more like running halves. A 9 who can play quick (Cook/Grant) and also ball play/kick (Smith) is priceless. Sadly, Api came closest to that in 2020.

DCE at 9 would keep oppositions guessing. He might also regain his running game.

The main drawback is extra defence, but he's targetted heavily at 7 anyway. With DCE at 9, we could have another forward on bench to help with rotation/tackling workload. Also gives us another end-of-set kicking option (like Smith at Storm).

If Des was really innovative, he could rotate DCE/Foran during match.

My team for 2021:

8. Jake
9. DCE
10. Marty
11. Haumole
12. Jetski
13. Sironen

7. Foran
6. Schuster
5. Saab
4. Walker
3. Suli
2. Tuipulto
1. Tom

14. Jorge Tafua (edge back-rower/back cover)
15. Paseka
16. Alolai
17. Keppie (to rotate with Sironen)

18. Cust
19. Funa
20. Boyle
21. Davey

Outside of Jorge on the bench I kinda like this idea. You could play Foran in the middle. Schuster left and dce right. Have each of them fill in at hooker depending on where on the field the play dies. As we have jake as a first receiver often in backline plays it would give us some serious strike across the field.

DCE could be very good here in rotation, and he is one of the best defenders in the team already. I don't dislike the suggestion, not sure if I like it either.

I always had the same thought and he will be brilliant at dummy half.
I know it won't happen but it will solve our hooker problem until the Fainu situation is resolved one way or the other.

Remember that Tooves moved to hooker and Andrew Johns was moved there in Origin so it isn't so unusual. It will make for a more balanced and stronger team. DCE at hooker, Cust/Foran at half and Foran/Schuster at 5/8.

Plenty of kicking options and throw in Jake, plenty of playmakers as well.

doubt that Daley would be too keen on the idea but he is a complete professional and no doubt would do it if it would benefit his side . Unlikely to eventuate though

Many great 1/2s find themselves at 9 ,in the latter stages of their career i.e Des , Mona's, Tooves that come to mind and in fact early in their career i.e vomit ....Smith ,and those that go the other way i.e Cronk. (BTW I don't put Hunt in that category or class)
In any case the roles are quite interchangeable and I think if we had another really good 1/2 DCE would be outstanding at 9 and in fact would well and truly cover for Fainu .He has speed,vision,smarts,strength,great passing and elite defense .All those characters go to help him be the Manly, SOO and Aust 1/2 as well,so maybe you are weakening one position to strengthen another ?
It is a bit out there but if it keeps Foz and Schuster on the field along with DCE while also keeping Croker away from 1st grade ,and Cust on the bench as relief/cover for all 3 of them its probably worth looking at .You could also argue these days esp with the 6 again rule that the teams thrust and direction comes from the 9 and with the fact that Schuster and Foz have good kicking games and Foz in particular is a great game controller (better i think than DCE) DCE could be a revelation at 9.
So an out of the box idea but not a ridiculous one ,although I do draw the line at Jorge on the bench I'm sure we have so many others to choose from ,I think its Blacktown/ESL for Jorge from here on in . Also I guess if it worked out and Fainu's case didn't work out then it would give us some time to then really go out and get a new 9 ,as there is no grantee Foz will be there in 2022 and so it would be DCE back to 7
An interesting concept to ponder in the off season ,but what amazing attacking array we would have right across the park esp when you throw in Walker!!.

For DCE I don't think it is a late career reason, it is because of the "total football" game that is the new reality. You want your best 3 or 4 players to have the ball in their hands.

Many great 1/2s find themselves at 9 ,in the latter stages of their career i.e Des , Mona's, Tooves that come to mind and in fact early in their career i.e vomit ....Smith ,and those that go the other way i.e Cronk. (BTW I don't put Hunt in that category or class)
In any case the roles are quite interchangeable and I think if we had another really good 1/2 DCE would be outstanding at 9 and in fact would well and truly cover for Fainu .He has speed,vision,smarts,strength,great passing and elite defense .All those characters go to help him be the Manly, SOO and Aust 1/2 as well,so maybe you are weakening one position to strengthen another ?
It is a bit out there but if it keeps Foz and Schuster on the field along with DCE while also keeping Croker away from 1st grade ,and Cust on the bench as relief/cover for all 3 of them its probably worth looking at .You could also argue these days esp with the 6 again rule that the teams thrust and direction comes from the 9 and with the fact that Schuster and Foz have good kicking games and Foz in particular is a great game controller (better i think than DCE) DCE could be a revelation at 9.
So an out of the box idea but not a ridiculous one ,although I do draw the line at Jorge on the bench I'm sure we have so many others to choose from ,I think its Blacktown/ESL for Jorge from here on in . Also I guess if it worked out and Fainu's case didn't work out then it would give us some time to then really go out and get a new 9 ,as there is no grantee Foz will be there in 2022 and so it would be DCE back to 7
An interesting concept to ponder in the off season ,but what amazing attacking array we would have right across the park esp when you throw in Walker!!.
Making a pretty good case , again very unlikely but you might even start influencing Des soon if you keep on making some valid points

D C E actually made a pretty good fist of playing at 9 from the bench for QLD at SOO a few seasons ago . Different team make up at Manly now then in that SOO line up though .

Yeah yeah nah yeah yeah nah yeah nah

No chance that will happen ever. He would be good there no doubt. Probably better then half the hookers running round at the moment but same goes with him in the halves where he played for the last ....... years. Cust will be the 9 and croker our 14 or back up hooker (i shudder at the thought) we will get someone before the season starts. Should of kept levi on minimal coin. With a full team in the park he isnt that bad. Now we have two reserve grade halfs playing hooker. Cust i think will surprise alot of people at hooker. Croker was decent as 14 when levi came off. They were his best games even Des mentioned him once after a game. He seems to like the kid he certainly tries. A failed project des move him on

The million dollar question is would DCE be any good at hooker without a first grade standard half with a kicking game and a world class number 6 to help him out ?. He would just get marked out of the game otherwise, he can't perform miracles

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10