DCE Man of the Match

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Really impressed by Kite today. Lots of involvement and not just during the standard timings from a front rower. A good play with about 7mins to go when we received a turnover ball about 40mtrs from out line, and a few of our forwards looked like they were ready to walk it up, but Kite provided an option for the first play and got us going forward. Real leadership in that play, and I hope we see this Kite turn out on a consistant basis.

Duff said:
DSM5 said:
The pack were all good, as were the whole team. Wolfy showed skill in his kick for DCE to score. A lesser player would have gone out. King annoys me at times with his poor handling and lying in the ruck. He should know better. Hopefully these problems will be rectified along the way. Is Big G on the outer, or just not considered in view of the fast track?

Nothing to do with the fast track for George as he was left at home before they knew what the weather would be. Interesting that Nood was still out. Maybe Tooves wanted George to get a certain game in reggies rather than possibly not play firsts if Nood passed his fitness test.

Whatever the reason, this will be quite interesting.

From what I hear, Joe was never going to play. He paid his own way over to Auckland to see family.

IMO Rose was dropped because of his fitness. He's gotten progressively worse since he did his knee early on in 2010. Before that he was playing at a rep level, but he came back from the injury overweight & has been declining ever since.

I thought DCE was OK. My Man of the match was T-Rex just shading Choc.

Our big boppers can get a bit exposed off a good play the ball, but thats not really different to any other team and Johnson is going to make plenty of people look like they've got concrete shoes by the time his career is over.

I think we beat any team in an arm wrestle. If its just set for set I don't think anyone can beat us but today was a perfect example of being vulnerable after giving away penalties and not respecting the ball.

I thought DCE was solid but would not have picked him for MOM. In saying that I could not really pick a standout from a number of other players who all played well.

What did you think of Snakes efforts chiming into the backline today TC ??

Hamster Huey said:
Really impressed by Kite today. Lots of involvement and not just during the standard timings from a front rower. A good play with about 7mins to go when we received a turnover ball about 40mtrs from out line, and a few of our forwards looked like they were ready to walk it up, but Kite provided an option for the first play and got us going forward. Real leadership in that play, and I hope we see this Kite turn out on a consistant basis.

I have been critical of Kite in the past for his high knee lift and the roll over effect of protecting this flaw has affected his go forward. From skipping before the line to time his knee lift earlier or running sideways to prevent up and under tackles causing him to raise a knee to brace himself before impact have contributed in killing his youthful go forward leg drive.

Yes he tries to ball play too much and is probably asked to do so but i have to admit today he did impress me--- you could really tell he was putting in an extra leadership effort to start the season and set a good example----really encouraging signs----good to see.

Manly does have many high knee lifters in the squad not something i really like to see and surprised we don't get pinned more often for it.

Chip and Chase said:
What did you think of Snakes efforts chiming into the backline today TC ??

No comment----- i've been told from higher powers to keep my mouth shut or i will be refused entry into Brookie. Off to Belmore i guess to watch Manly games in a private box on a nice high contrast 55inch AMOLED screen with all you can eat Kebabs.

Lyon was MOM for me.
Kite was not mentioned in my 321 by Hampster Huey is right. I liked Kite's play today too.

tookey said:
Must have been watching a different game if you thought Lussick played better than DCE.

I agree Tookey, dce played the full game scored a great try and made plenty of vital
Last man tackles he did kick out on the full, lussick played limited time drop the ball and always looked as though he would drop it more times trying to get a pass away,
Not your best call technical coach ????

I thought Ballin was awesome today. (Besides the bad kick) Seems as if he's playing a completely different style of footy and i like it.

Manly Daly said:
tookey said:
Must have been watching a different game if you thought Lussick played better than DCE.

I agree Tookey, dce played the full game scored a great try and made plenty of vital
Last man tackles he did kick out on the full, lussick played limited time drop the ball and always looked as though he would drop it more times trying to get a pass away,
Not your best call technical coach ????

The point i was trying to make and the reason i used the "lesser extent" comment was there were many others above Lussick who deserved MOM in the forwards and those forwards deserved it more than DCE.

In the end 88m and 17 tackles in hot conditions with lots of lateral unappreciated defence was more worthy output than what DCE did considering both halves made some poor red zone plays and the kicking games were not of a high standard which is what they are paid to do.

From the backs Foran and Lyon were easily ahead of DCE but i thought the forwards stood tall so i limited my preferences to them.

Lyon clearly deserved MOM & any number of players were good also including T Rex, DCE, Johnson. Dont see how Darcys name was included, Kite was better than him & could have earned the top votes also..

Todays effort was a great example of a team effort.

12 men at a vital stage. We had it covered

Glenn off hurt for a good part of the first half. We had it covered.

Matai of injured most of the second half. We had it covered.

A great Warriors attacking display. We had it covered.

There was probably only 5 or 6 guys who had no chance at all of MOM honours.

This was a good game to get away with. There wont be many teams travel to NZ this year and bring the 2 points home.

I hope that the one dud kick from Ballin yesterday does not discourage him from pursuing this roll.
I think it would be awesome to have Ballin as a genuine kicking option.
It is so handy to have a genuine dummy half who also has a great kicking game.
It will take a lot of pressure off DCE and Foran if he can continue to develop this into his game.

T Rex MOM for mine without a doubt. Choc was next and Lyon had some good moments too. Sign up Rex long term before his market value goes through the roof ....his form is going upwards at a massive rate....and by the end of this year he could almost be our main man.

Only worry for me is our wingers defence ...Williams was great in attack ...but to me neither of our wingers are great readers of the play nor great in the collision. Can see us leaking a few tries out wide this year. But all in all a great win great start to the year.

Clint said:
I hope that the one dud kick from Ballin yesterday does not discourage him from pursuing this roll.
I think it would be awesome to have Ballin as a genuine kicking option.
It is so handy to have a genuine dummy half who also has a great kicking game.
It will take a lot of pressure off DCE and Foran if he can continue to develop this into his game.

They just have to practise it so it isn't telegraphed so badly. It was clear from the positioning that Ballin was taking the kick and the slow play the ball meant the markers were on to him quickly.

Perhaps the smarter option was for DCE or Foran to recognise that likely pressure, run a little wider to receive and over-call the play.

Kicking a clearing kick from the ruck needs a relatively quick play-the-ball to be effective and I'm sure if Ballin is in line to do this more often, they'll get the timing right in future.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6