• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Has always been our Achilles Heel, well maybe not always but certainly since our last premiership.

And I can’t help but think , regardless of what you think about Seibold , that he’s really addressed this issue in 2024.

Those let go , and those brought in ( Brooks aside ) have all been about better depth.

Because let’s face it , there have been times we’ve looked like world beaters , then we’d cop a few injuries and we instantly then looked like wannabes.

What do you reckon everyone , better depth this year or so so ???

In almost each case the changes strengthen the squad
out .................................in
Cooper Johns ..................Luke Brooks
Harper ..........................Talau
Keppie ..........................James
Kelma ...........................Waddell
Weekes ..................... . Paulo
Boyle ............................N Brown
Tuipulotu .......................Faulalo

Gordie and Humphreys are just about ready, that helps our depth. Also, fair players such as Parker Matterson, Lawton, Woods may not even get a run this year.

Last edited:

Gordie and Humphreys are just about ready, that helps our depth. Also, fair players such as Parker Matterson, Lawton, Woods may not even get a run this year.
Be surprised if the last 4 mentioned get a run , but they might with a lot of injuries.

Gordie & Humphreys probably fighting it out for a bench spot

Interesting times indeed

On reflection, Keppie's spot is probably gone to Lodge. Brown takes Tuilagi's spot in the squad, Aitasi James takes Boyle's spot. Either way there is more experience and a bit more quality.

At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, I'm not convinced any of the new players (except Brooks) are an improvement on who we've moved on. That's not to say we should have necessarily kept the players but until I see them actually play a trial game, I'm reserving judgement. Needless to say, I'm hoping we at least get a 50% strike rate. Bring on the footy so I can see what we've got!!

At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, I'm not convinced any of the new players (except Brooks) are an improvement on who we've moved on. That's not to say we should have necessarily kept the players but until I see them actually play a trial game, I'm reserving judgement. Needless to say, I'm hoping we at least get a 50% strike rate. Bring on the footy so I can see what we've got!!
I think that all the new players have the potential to be improvements on those players who have left.
Some of the replacements are massive improvements, though.
Johns ............................Brooks (massive improvement)
Harper ..........................Talau (potential improvement)
Keppie ..........................Lodge (massive improvement)
Kelma ........................... Brown (improvement)
Weekes ..................... . Paulo (improvement)
Boyle ............................James (improvement)
Tuipulotu .......................Faulalo (potential improvement)

Has always been our Achilles Heel, well maybe not always but certainly since our last premiership.

And I can’t help but think , regardless of what you think about Seibold , that he’s really addressed this issue in 2024.

Those let go , and those brought in ( Brooks aside ) have all been about better depth.

Because let’s face it , there have been times we’ve looked like world beaters , then we’d cop a few injuries and we instantly then looked like wannabes.

Good call Mark and throw in the battle of Gordie/Humphrey with either imo off the bench from week 1 the team looks far stronger imo....especially when Lodge gets back Rd 2 or 3
If we see a recharged Brown and Schu finally hits some potential, this I feel will be the happiest Silvertails site in years @:eek:

I think that all the new players have the potential to be improvements on those players who have left.
Yep, I have no doubt some of them have the potential, I just need to see them in action.

Brooks - yep, I'm not concerned about him. Let's hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.
Talau - the only games I've seen him play last were ordinary. I wait to see the improvement.
Lodge - he wasn't on the list above and my only concern with him is that his knee holds up (and he doesn't go off the rails)
Brown - he is a wait and see for me at this point. But there's no doubt Kelma was mostly ordinary.
Paulo - not sure the player for player there is fair coz Weekes just didn't really get a decent go at one position. Whereas Paulo is really just a winger (I think). Paulo (like Brown) couldn't get a 1st Gde gig at the old club so again, I have to be convinced.
Boyle - ahhhh, the mystery man. Again, James is untried for me so again, I wait to see what he's got. Certainly Boyle just couldn't stay on the park.
Tips - he certainly had a go and had his moments in 1st Gde. Faulalo still needs to demonstrate to me that he can cut it in 1st Gde.

I'm not bagging any of these blokes, I just want to see them play first coz I'm just not convinced. I'm a hard task master, I guess.

Paulo - not sure the player for player there is fair coz Weekes just didn't really get a decent go at one
Paulo is a big upgrade because he is a big fast winger with 55 NRL games including 7 finals, a grand final, and he can improve a wing spot for us. Whereas Weekes doesn't fit anywhere in our backline and only has a handful of NRL games under his belt.
A much better fit for Manly's current needs.

Paulo is a big upgrade because he is a big fast winger with 55 NRL games including 7 finals, a grand final, and he can improve a wing spot for us. Whereas Weekes doesn't fit anywhere in our backline and only has a handful of NRL games under his belt.
A much better fit for Manly's current needs.
Yeah, I'm not saying he has some upside, I just don't think matching him Weekes is necessarily a fair comparison. I just hope Paulo has the confidence to take on the high kicks coz that's been a problem of ours for some time now and I think that was one of his problem areas in the past..

My take is that we haven’t lost any one of note. But we have signed some decent players and others with potential.

Brooks and Lodge are good players, better than the ones we have released.

Brown is a proven performer but has injury concerns, not a big risk given who we’ve let go.

The others, again, we haven’t lost anyone of note so it’s not a big risk.

All in all an upgrade to the balance and depth of our squad.

Yeah, I'm not saying he has some upside, I just don't think matching him Weekes is necessarily a fair comparison. I just hope Paulo has the confidence to take on the high kicks coz that's been a problem of ours for some time now and I think that was one of his problem areas in the past..
Taking bombs or high kicks is actually one of Paulo’s strengths & his speed is up there. Fit & healthy, our backline this year is definitely one of the fastest if not the fastest.
Trbo
Saab
Koula
Garrick
Paulo
Speed to burn!

Taking bombs or high kicks is actually one of Paulo’s strengths & his speed is up there. Fit & healthy, our backline this year is definitely one of the fastest if not the fastest.
Trbo
Saab
Koula
Garrick
Paulo
Speed to burn!
Yes that's a beautiful looking backline isn't it. Great odds against your Penrith and Broncos. I also fancy our new look forward pack to at least hold the middle and to hopefully dominate. Again just need a bit of luck with injuries. Surely the injuries gods must be sick of us by now!!!!

Trbo
Saab
Koula
Garrick
Paulo
Speed to burn!
There is certainly speed in the back line and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. I must be mistaken about his catching abilities. Do you know what his issues were at Souths and Roosters? That is, why he couldn't get a 1st Gde spot?

Good morning feathered friend @Mark from Brisbane , I hope you are keeping healthy and Happy

In regards to the depth in the squad
It is all about Not what you have but What you do with it
Nothing great about the Seibold era so far
Respect is earned by results and not excuses
Any Tom, Dick ,Harry and Anthony can come up with excuses
Am I a hard marker ?
Fcking Oath I am . I am a High Expectation ,High standards Proud Manly Supporter

Lower our Legendary clubs Great standards and we stand for Nothing Great
1707342800681.png

There is certainly speed in the back line and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. I must be mistaken about his catching abilities. Do you know what his issues were at Souths and Roosters? That is, why he couldn't get a 1st Gde spot?
Tupou and AJ definitely had a wing each locked up at their respective clubs. But in saying that I guess Saab has one locked up here, not too their extent yet.

And the best part, most at bargain prices apart from Lodge and Brooks.

Good morning feathered friend @Mark from Brisbane , I hope you are keeping healthy and Happy

In regards to the depth in the squad
It is all about Not what you have but What you do with it
Nothing great about the Seibold era so far
Respect is earned by results and not excuses
Any Tom, Dick ,Harry and Anthony can come up with excuses
Am I a hard marker ?
Fcking Oath I am . I am a High Expectation ,High standards Proud Manly Supporter

Lower our Legendary clubs Great standards and we stand for Nothing Great
View attachment 25927
Very true Bozo....but I think Mark's point is at least we have the "cattle" in 2024 to try do something with, which we havn't had that in previous years once injuries struck - we slid 100mph....

Last edited:
He had a first grade spot at the Bunnies and played well enough to be poached by the Roosters. The signing of Dom Young to partner Tupou on the Roosters wings left him as surplus to requirements.

G
He had a first grade spot at the Bunnies and played well enough to be poached by the Roosters. The signing of Dom Young to partner Tupou on the Roosters wings left him as surplus to requirements.
Gotcha. Was there never an issue at the Rabbits? I have this niggling thought that there was something they didn't like about his play. I thought it was his hands. Anyway, we have him now and I hope he shines if he gets the first crack.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8