Des Hasler earns a place among the greats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Des Hasler earns a place among the greats

Phil Rothfield Sports Editor-at-large The Daily Telegraph October 03, 2011

Last Tuesday night the Men of League organisation, through a panel of experts, named the top five coaches in the game's history.

They were, in order, Wayne Bennett, Jack Gibson, Bob Fulton, Phil Gould and Harry Bath.

Personally I'd now put Hasler at No.4 and Gould at five.
Who else has won a premiership by a record-breaking scoreline of 40-nil against a team (Melbourne Storm) that spent $1million more than him on the salary cap?

Who else has lifted a broke and busted club like Manly were in 2004 to become the team and club of the last decade and the pride of the league?

Who else in the coaching ranks has built such an indestructible bond with his players?

Who else could have turned around the disaster of their 2009 season launch and use the bitter wash-up as the ultimate motivational tool?

He took on NRL boss David Gallop on behalf of his players and built the strongest camaraderie and team spirit in the game.

Yesterday's victory was so typical of Manly's season-long form and consistency.

Every single player contributed from fullback to front-row and the men on the bench.

What about fullback Brett Stewart with that first try, bursting on to the inside of Daly Cherry-Evans' pass.

Will Hopoate made more metres than any other player on the field. He is a massive loss to rugby league.

Michael Robertson scooped up Glenn Stewart's grubber kick to dash away to set up Cherry Evans' try just before half-time.

The centres Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai were both outstanding and inspirational with their bloodied heads wrapped in bandages. And the halves - what more can you say about Kieren Foran and Cherry Evans.

Outstanding kicking games, slick passing, great leadership.

And the forwards ... where do you start ... Churchill Medal winner Glenn Stewart absolutely awesome, Choc Watmough a real powerhouse, Brent Kite a typical workhorse performance.

And that's the thing about this Manly team.

They're not a team of champions but a champion team. They play for each other like no other side does and Hasler has them playing with machine-like authority every week of the season.

The Warriors lost no admirers with their stirring second-half comeback as Shaun Johnson set the stadium alight.

What a player.

What a superstar.

Too bad the Warriors didn't really start playing their spectacular ad-lib footy until they were down 18-2 and the chance of a comeback victory was almost impossible.

They threw everything at the Sea Eagles who had just enough fuel in the tank to defend their line and hang on for a richly deserved victory.

Much-loved Eagle drops in to get the Lowe-down 

THE most welcome visitor at Manly's final training session at Brookvale on Saturday morning was the club's former chief executive and much-admired Graham Lowe, who quit mid-year for health reasons.

And the most notable absentee was the current chief executive David Perry, who the players have little time for since he sacked Peter Peters for that appalling crime of calling the extremely attractive Megan Barnard a good sort.

Great read thanks BE. Thanks Phil Rothfield for a nice article. Summed it up well

Read some of the drivel that's been posted to that blog by the usual assortment of drongos. Especially some 'ex-international baseball umpire' from Aroona? Where is Aroona?

Pittwater Legend said:
Old Phil has a bit of a soft spot for us. I have no idea why.

It just that he doesnt hate us that makes us feels he likes us.

Great read!! They really are a champion team, coached by an all time champion. Back in the dark days during the early 2000s I never thought I would be celebrating 2 premierships in 4 years!!

For most of us Manly supporters Des had been the best coach for a few years. How he has not won coach of the year yet is beyond me. Finally everyone else is catching on. They are a bit slow on the uptake aren't they :)

We had better ask for another $2M for all the bronze statues we need outside the redeveloped Brookie. I remember being in a throng of supporters who surrounded Des after his last game in '96 and chanting "Dessies a Legend", little realising the extended impact he would really have for Manly. Incredible achievements.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8