Difference in halves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
A question for those who understand the modern game: is there a difference between the 7 and 6? Current tip for Origin halves from Gallen is Hodkinson and Pearce - both play number 7 for their clubs. All the talk about 2016 halves for us is non specific re the 2 roles. Back when Cliffy and Tooves were playing, the roles were completely defined. No longer the case? Interested in how it works now Thanks!

The 7 and 6 used to play on the same side of the ruck in the old days. The 7 would routinely pass to the 6.

But these days they live on opposite sides and play similar roles. I'd have no qualms having two 7's. DCE would play the exact same role with 6 on his back.

Even the 9 is basically a dummy half. The days of a genuine hooker are dead and buried.

There's no longer a difference.Once upon a time the halves had speed now they don't even have that.The only thing the halves have now is a kicking game, & a bit of organising in attack.

The 7 and 6 used to play on the same side of the ruck in the old days. The 7 would routinely pass to the 6.

But these days they live on opposite sides and play similar roles. I'd have no qualms having two 7's. DCE would play the exact same role with 6 on his back.

Even the 9 is basically a dummy half. The days of a genuine hooker are dead and buried.
Yeah they could probably stop calling them a hooker seeing as no one actually hooks and most teams just have a back rower in the middle of the prop with like the fullback of someone locking the scrum, then they move those forwards out wide. Actually lock is a crock of **** too. Should be called "casually placing hands on second rowers backs and pretending to stick head in" but maybe that is just a tad too long.

The only names of positions that are still correct are FR/SR on technicalities only and wing and fullback.

They play both sides of the ruck depending on position they are attacking on field . The fullback comes in like the halves more these days. Cherry Evans plays a lot of how he sees it , off the cuff sort of.

Makes me wonder if the game isn't slowly being sold down the toilet. I can think of no other football code that has such ill defined positions But then no other code changes rules in such a reactive way and so often.

Makes me wonder if the game isn't slowly being sold down the toilet. I can think of no other football code that has such ill defined positions But then no other code changes rules in such a reactive way and so often.
Well, Gridiron has the most defined positions I can think of. They have blokes who never touch the ball whose sole role is blocking the equally fat opposition bloke. That's a ridiculous game.
I think RL has gone backwards with players sticking to one side of the field. It stifles creativity. How would Cliffy go if you restricted him to sticking to a 'play book'?
I think the Kiwis showed how easy it is to defend predictability, and how much more exciting - and rewarding - some ad-hoc footy can be.

The only question is who gets priority to call the shots. Both will be left to play what they see, but there needs to be a primary 'controller' the majority of the sets. Look to Pearce taking on the 'senior' role (7) and Hodkinson play more ball-running options (6), with the odd interjection when opportunities present themselves.

Certainly nothing unsettling about the proposal as both will still play their natural game.

I'll have to meet u at the beachcomer for a beer and talk some manly Goss.

On the Matty Johns show the other night, Matt was of the opinion that there is still a difference. The half-back is still the alpha dog when push comes to shove.

Only difference is really - todays 6 & 7 stands either side of the ruck.
The halves dont link up enough as the modern coaching structures robotically design where players must be at all times - this is why the quality players with vision & creative skills are so rare & in demand.
The most effective like Thurston who usually lives on the left , will switch with the vision theres numbers or an opportunity to attack the other side - usually picking the key moments against a retreating defence.
Another component is to have 1 half who controls the game with the stronger passing/kicking game - example is Hodgkinson/Wallace & the other offering more a running game, often sniffing around the forwards who offer an offload - example of type is Blake Austin/Maloney.

So could Mitchell Pearce and Adam Reynolds play halves in the same team?

Well, Gridiron has the most defined positions I can think of. They have blokes who never touch the ball whose sole role is blocking the equally fat opposition bloke. That's a ridiculous game.
I think RL has gone backwards with players sticking to one side of the field. It stifles creativity. How would Cliffy go if you restricted him to sticking to a 'play book'?
I think the Kiwis showed how easy it is to defend predictability, and how much more exciting - and rewarding - some ad-hoc footy can be.
You are quite right. Look at us when we move right to left! Half our team can't even pass that way!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6