Don't deserve finals footy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
One team that does deserve to be in the finals is the Warriors. At this stage of the season, they've performed better than any Manly team in the last decade. They don't have many 'stars', but the whole team is playing to their potential under Andrew Webster. We scoffed at Dylan Walker when he said he joined the Warriors to help them win a premiership. I hope he succeeds (as well as AFB & Luke Metcalf). All aboard the Wahs train!

We just dont play a style of footy that gets teams into finals or win finals. If it worked , then fair enough, but it hasnt. Toms ability has masked our need to get with the programme

Recruitment and retention.

When AFB was starting to shine and show potential the club seemed to make an out of know where decision to even further extend Kapow.

I suspect it was player manager drive getting concerned for Kapows future and then a year or so later just not enough funds for both moving forward.

Top Alpha Pigs. Arguably even more important than than an elite halfback.

Recruitment and retention.

When AFB was starting to shine and show potential the club seemed to make an out of know where decision to even further extend Kapow.

I suspect it was player manager drive getting concerned for Kapows future and then a year or so later just not enough funds for both moving forward.

Top Alpha Pigs.
Yes, in the year we let AFB go, he was rated by his NRL peers as the best prop in the game. He is very agile for a big man and has great upper body strength (similar to Leota, JFH, JWH etc.)

Yes, in the year we let AFB go, he was rated by his NRL peers as the best prop in the game. He is very agile for a big man and has great upper body strength (similar to Leota, JFH, JWH etc.)
At the time, I was devastated he left, but I'm still not sure the club had any choice other than to let him go. He wanted out of Sydney and there's no point forcing anyone to stay on. But I knew we'd miss him - I was sure we could build a great pack around him, as the Warriors have done. Still love watching him play and wish him and the Warriors well.

If comparing like for like let's take this year and our position on the table and adjust for loosing the last 7. Where are we then? Let me crunch the numbers for you.
2022 - we finished 11th - 9wins 20 points.
2023 - we finish ? - 9 wins 21 points.
Now take into account the 2 extra rounds in 2023 and points we get from the bye.
Rough maths says we actually won 2 more games in 2022 than this year all things being equal. Take away points for the extra bye and its even worse.
Doesn't look so good does it?
No, your 'rough maths' doesn't look very good at all!
Fyi last year Manly had 24 games, this year we will have 24 games. We're already ahead of last year (albeit by a single point for the draw) but still have 4 games in hand

As a staunch Manly fan, Thurs nights result was of course disappointing.
The Roosters have some decent players & they simply outplayed Manly on the night.
Although he & the coaching staff have some things to figure out, Schuster's try was a reminder to supporters of what he can do when he's 'on'.
Manly don't have many players that can create solo tries like that.
I feel that the team is pretty much where they deserve to be on the ladder atm.
I'd like to see them put in effort for games coming up & not just fade out.

We just dont play a style of footy that gets teams into finals or win finals. If it worked , then fair enough, but it hasnt. Toms ability has masked our need to get with the programme
Yes - very slow combined with predictable is a team defendings dream !!

It almost looks to me as if we need to win all remaining games to make the 8. Even three from four may not get us there.

The game against the roosters was so crucial.

We probably should hand in our licence based on our last 10 years and prospects for the future. We have some commercial viability as the silvertails that teams love to hate, but it’s growing old. If we don’t find a wealthy party to buy us out and build a juggernaut, I would honestly say we are farrrkkked moving forward.

Here’s my bold prediction. We will never win another premiership under the current Pencil administration, unless there is some left field atomic bomb dropped. We will cozy up next to the Tigpies waiting for a miracle. I expect we will either disappear entirely from the NRL, merge or relocate.

It almost looks to me as if we need to win all remaining games to make the 8. Even three from four may not get us there.

The game against the roosters was so crucial.
Yes unfortunately with our loss, and Knights and Sharks winning, that's game, set, match folks. Mathematically, we would need to go undefeated from here on in.

Shame to be out of contention with a month of footy left to play.

Last year, we had rainbow gate, and self-imploded during the club's worst end to a season. Yet this season, we may only finish with 1 or 2 extra wins, and a lower position on the ladder. How is that possible? Seibold is so proud of the kids though. So lame to be Manly these days. Another putrid season

Yes unfortunately with our loss, and Knights and Sharks winning, that's game, set, match folks. Mathematically, we would need to go undefeated from here on in.

Shame to be out of contention with a month of footy left to play.

Last year, we had rainbow gate, and self-imploded during the club's worst end to a season. Yet this season, we may only finish with 1 or 2 extra wins, and a lower position on the ladder. How is that possible? Seibold is so proud of the kids though. So lame to be Manly these days. Another putrid season
possibly the dolphins diluted the talent pool somewhat allowing us and everyone else a few extra wins.

nothing really has changed though. can beat lowly teams, have a big moment or 2 and meander through the middle

a lot of people predicted 10-14. the new coaches, structures and unity language titillated some hopeful fans

i also thing rainbow gate was blown out of proportion as an excuse.

Spoony will never get close to Des.
Well that’ll be interesting won’t it , Des sacked at the Bulldogs , then sacked at Manly , what will you say when it’s a trifecta at the Titans ??

As to him being a “ better coach “ I respect Des for his time with us up to the 2011 GF, but I think it’s been shown in two clubs now that Des and his coaching style is so much more “ year 2000” than it is “ year 2020 “.

I expect he’ll have a fair first year at the Titans but then his style of coaching / management will start to grate on the owners , and around half way through year two you’ll start to hear all the machinations of him being replaced , and then he’ll get his third big payout when they want to cut ties.

The reason I say that ( and it’s only an opinion ) is that a leopard doesn’t change their spots.

Des is Des , he’s like me “ too ****ing old to change “.

But let’s see

I'm all aboard the Warriors - having said that to me Penrith are the best of good things and I will be riding them along with my wallet all the way to 3 in a row.

Those of us who have been around for a while , we've been spoiled for success for a long time. So this is the lean years. Having been born the year we won our first premiership, this is the longest drought between premierships I've seen ( 12 years and counting ) and we're miles away by most metrics. There's always hope cause we have some good players, but something has to change before we are a serious team again.

We probably should hand in our licence based on our last 10 years and prospects for the future. We have some commercial viability as the silvertails that teams love to hate, but it’s growing old. If we don’t find a wealthy party to buy us out and build a juggernaut, I would honestly say we are farrrkkked moving forward.
Any depressing thoughts to impart to other forum members?

So the weeks we touched up the Raiders and the Dolphins were apparitions?

Most, if not all teams style of play are geared around their most dynamic players.

Souffs aren't the same without Mitchell.
Take Walsh, Ponga, Guffo, Drinkwater out of their respective teams and they come back to the pack somewhat - their style of play has to change.
Even the Dragons and Tigers look better with Sloan and Bula at fullback, the Tits look more threatening with Campbell.

Tom's ability hasn't masked our need to get with the program, Tom's ability infinitely helps the program.

Whether you rate them or not, we are missing three props that are in our top 17 and we don't have a theatening five eighth to compensate what we're missing.

Yes, our top 17 may not be the best there is but it's shown when it's all together we're somewhere in the 8.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10