Don't kill the pig

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One Eyed Eagle, now that does go a little way back.

I first started on Forums with a guy named Bryan Gaensler ( who was young Australian of the year ), an Astro physics genius.

I forget what his forum was called but that would have been mid to late 90's.

And yes I probably did 10,000 on OEE and about the same on MWSE, so Dan could change my count to 30,000 if he likes!!

Never met Bryan but I used to teach with his mum. Today's piece of useless information. :)

I should have copyrighted my "mediocrity will not be tolerated" mantra. Would look good on a banner at Brookie this year I reckon.

I should have copyrighted my "mediocrity will not be tolerated" mantra. Would look good on a banner at Brookie this year I reckon.
ti-iggy-no-mediocre-cover-300x300.jpg

Yes SER8.

You are right of course. Lately, collectively, our inner beast has well and truly escaped. A ruthless and uncivilised "Killing of the pig" a la Lord of the Flies. Is this necessarily a bad thing to be resisted and fought?

I was in London when Diana died. The extended pall which fell over the entire city, country, and even the entire Western World was something I'd never experienced before, and may not ever see again. The emotion was raw, powerful, inexplicable. The reaction overtook any rational, logical relationship to the actual event. I could logically see this at the same time as the emotions overtook my whole body and mind.

In retrospect, I learnt from the Diana experience that we are not rational beings with emotional capabilities. We are more fundamentally emotional beings with some capability for rationality.

Why do we follow Manly? Raw emotion. Not logic, not reason.

And we can't kill our painful emotions without also killing our comfortable ones. As the Finn Brothers wrote and sang:
"Finding out where there is comfort there is pain, only one step away, like four seasons in one day"

For some time now, as Silvertails, we've been in the throws of a terrifying storm, winter season in full flight. Emotions arise when threats arise. And over-reactions automatically happen. And when we survive the harshest of storms, we can look back and perhaps realise that it wasn't so bad. That we could handle the absolute worst that was thrown at us. That we didn't really need to kill the pig. That killing the pig only made matters worse.

And we get stronger through this realisation. And, perhaps, more compassionate for the harm we had unnecessarily and mindlessly inflicted on ourselves and others.

Last edited:
Yes SER8.

You are right of course. Lately, collectively, our inner beast has well and truly escaped. A ruthless and uncivilised "Killing of the pig" a la Lord of the Flies. Is this necessarily a bad thing to be resisted and fought?

I was in London when Diana died. The extended pall which fell over the entire city, country, and even the entire Western World was something I'd never experienced before, and may not ever see again. The emotion was raw, powerful, inexplicable. The reaction overtook any rational, logical relationship to the actual event. I could logically see this at the same time as the emotions overtook my whole body and mind.

In retrospect, I learnt from the Diana experience that we are not rational beings with emotional capabilities. We are more fundamentally emotional beings with some capability for rationality.

Why do we follow Manly? Raw emotion. Not logic, not reason.

And we can't kill our painful emotions without also killing our comfortable ones. As the Finn Brothers wrote and sang:
"Finding out where there is comfort there is pain, only one step away, like four seasons in one day"

For some time now, as Silvertails, we've been in the throws of a terrifying storm, winter season in full flight. Emotions arise when threats arise. And over-reactions automatically happen. And when we survive the harshest of storms, we can look back and perhaps realise that it wasn't so bad. That we could handle the absolute worst that was thrown at us. That we didn't really need to kill the pig. That killing the pig only made matters worse.

And we get stronger through this realisation. And, perhaps, more compassionate for the harm we had unnecessarily and mindlessly inflicted on ourselves and others.

Just love Crowded House & the Finn boys !!

Saw Neil & Paul Kelly in concert a few years ago, probably the best " Australasian " concert I've ever seen, and yes love " Four Seasons in a Day".

If you are a fan and haven't seen it " Going our Way" ( you won't regret it the full live concert can be seen on YouTube )

Great thought thread and an accurate summation of the current perfect storm.

Does this mean that many of us will now stop the favourites game?; The DCE camp of fans having been the most ruthless in killing the Foran camp and visa versa.

Does this mean that many of us will now stop the favourites game?; The DCE camp of fans having been the most ruthless in killing the Foran camp and visa versa.

After round 13 we can probably kill both of them!

I'm quite enjoying it....it's the Silvertails version of Game of Thrones!

Oh, I thought it may have been yours but wasn't sure. It's worth a banner.
Sadly there is no copyright on actual mediocrity, either.

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4