Double header Home game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should we take our home game to Suncorp, regardless of financial incentives?

• Yes

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Take our home away but to a different venue, SFS, Gosford or other neutral venue

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I have personally for the past few years not agreed with us taking our home game to Suncorp and giving the broncos another home game.

While I am all for the financial incentives of being involved in this double header and for it being a chance for our QLD fans to see us play, I just think we have made the wrong decision.

You ask Wayne and the boys ..play at home or come down and play at brookvale oval, I know which option they will take, they must think we are crazy in giving up our home game like this.

I even go so far as to say , we play this weeks game at brookvale I could see us upsetting the broncos , up there, no chance.

A final solution if we want to still take our game away from brookvale is play it at a neutral venue, SFS , Gosford or another QLD town ( not Gladstone).

Just wanting to see if I am not the only one with this opinion.

Last edited:
It’s a good point but let’s not forget for years and years we owned Suncorp!!

The MWTS even penned a song “ we always win in Queensland” and sang it every game.

Currently it wouldn’t matter if we played the game on Mars we’d still probably lose.

The revenue, shared between the other double header home team ( usually the Storm or Cowboys) with circa 45,000 fans in place is enormous, I’d guess between $500-$800k ( factoring in corporate boxes , share of catering revenue and ticket sales).

I was told, back in the day, it was equivalent to FIVE home games based on our average crowd.

I’m not even going this year but yes it’s great for not only the Queensland fans but the huge contingent of home based supporters who make it an annual trip.

I get the home ground advantage thing but there’s a lot more to this than just that!!

It’s a good point but let’s not forget for years and years we owned Suncorp!!

The MWTS even penned a song “ we always win in Queensland” and sang it every game.

Currently it wouldn’t matter if we played the game on Mars we’d still probably lose.

The revenue, shared between the other double header home team ( usually the Storm or Cowboys) with circa 45,000 fans in place is enormous, I’d guess between $500-$800k ( factoring in corporate boxes , share of catering revenue and ticket sales).

I was told, back in the day, it was equivalent to FIVE home games based on our average crowd.

I’m not even going this year but yes it’s great for not only the Queensland fans but the huge contingent of home based supporters who make it an annual trip.

I get the home ground advantage thing but there’s a lot more to this than just that!!
I agree with all you say mark all valid points.

I agree with all you say mark all valid points.

But I certainly get yours too mate, it’s just giving that team in essence another home game!!

Only three things change.

1) they use the away change rooms
2) our players get introduced on the big screen one by one, theirs just a simple list of players put up.
3) Donkey members have to apply to buy their usual seat after Manly / Storm members get first crack.

My view is in the total scheme of things it’s worthwhile!!

But I certainly get yours too mate, it’s just giving that team in essence another home game!!

Only three things change.

1) they use the away change rooms
2) our players get introduced on the big screen one by one, theirs just a simple list of players put up.
3) Donkey members have to apply to buy their usual seat after Manly / Storm members get first crack.

My view is in the total scheme of things it’s worthwhile!!
You right about those 3 things

Isn't Christchurch offering 300K for the game we are taking there or is that off the table?
I'd take this one as well for another 100K.
F*ck Brisbane.

I think if they wanted to take a home game away and play it at Suncorp on a double header game they should play a different qld team as in cowboys or titans let someone else play the broncos ,should have switched with Melbourne

I think if they wanted to take a home game away and play it at Suncorp on a double header game they should play a different qld team as in cowboys or titans let someone else play the broncos ,should have switched with Melbourne

There’s a great reason they don’t !!

In fact about 45,000 reasons!!

It’s about $$$$$

Agree with your sentiment but really it doesn't matter.

Broncos will win. Get all the 50-50 calls and a 15-5 penalty count with close to 100,000 qld heads watching live.

I think you were spoon fed PR dribble as the real income of a Brookvale home game is not what they are comparing it to, the old apples and oranges.

Ticketed members are not included in their numbers, nor are the local sponsors etc. All they are counting for Brookie is gate takings. The numbers just don't add up otherwise. They cannot assume that ticketed members will go everywhere or by their tickets if there are no games at Brookie, I wouldn't for one and most would reduce or drop completely in membership.

We have 12,000 ticketed members at an average of more that $200 a pop, that is $2.4M over 10 games at Brookie so $240K per game. Then there are 4-5K walk up tickets on top of that on average so another 100K (the only number they are comparing to get to 4-5 times).

4-5 times 300K is 1.2M plus, if we are getting that then sure, keep it up but as you pointed out we are not even close to that.

Other thing to note is that it really gives a big bump to our annual home crowd figures. I saw a table a few weeks back and we had the second lowest home crowd attendance of ~10k, just above the titans. Matches like this with 45k fan skews our average attendance up. Whilst its just window dressing I'm sure there are people within NRL HQ and within the club who have KPIs and other things measured against those types of stats. I don't love it but if it stops us being moved to Perth then I'll cop a home game in Brissy.

I think you were spoon fed PR dribble as the real income of a Brookvale home game is not what they are comparing it to, the old apples and oranges.

Ticketed members are not included in their numbers, nor are the local sponsors etc. All they are counting for Brookie is gate takings. The numbers just don't add up otherwise. They cannot assume that ticketed members will go everywhere or by their tickets if there are no games at Brookie, I wouldn't for one and most would reduce or drop completely in membership.

We have 12,000 ticketed members at an average of more that $200 a pop, that is $2.4M over 10 games at Brookie so $240K per game. Then there are 4-5K walk up tickets on top of that on average so another 100K (the only number they are comparing to get to 4-5 times).

4-5 times 300K is 1.2M plus, if we are getting that then sure, keep it up but as you pointed out we are not even close to that.

Maybe, but it’s still a **** load to earn from one game so I don’t blame them!

Judging by last weeks game at Suncorp, the surface at Brookvale looks a lot better - maybe they'll blame us if anyone injures themselves as we've already done three ACL's at our home games this season.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8