Eels Done For Massive Salary Cap Breach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You're right.., he really does!

watmough-anthony-parramatta-eels-628.jpg
Misery likes company. Bye Keiran

The breach by Parra is Ricky's gift to the club.

Last year Parra paid $750k of their salary cap to players who had already left the club - during Stuart's purge. This amount is more than all their breaches added together.

In fairness, what Parra have done (and openly disclosed to the NRL that they had done) should not be talked about in the same breath as rorts by the likes of the Storm and Bulldogs. Chalk and cheese in terms of deception.

The breach by Parra is Ricky's gift to the club.
It begs the question - why didnt the CEO at the time tell Ricky to go lightly on the player culling, as it would inevitably hurt their salary cap in following years? And if that check point was missed, why didnt said CEO enforce less spending last year to alleviate wasted money from the previous years culling?

You have to conclude the CEO knew about it and ignored it, thus it was calculated cheating. This is the CEO's doing or whoever is in charge of number crunching, not so much Ricky..

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
The CEO and Ricky were reading from exactly the same page. Both knew you can't cull $750k from your cap and hope to be at all competitive. Hence why Ricky was keen to exit stage left.

I'd be surprised if the cap breaches weren't envisaged at the time the players were dumped. Penalties need to be in place. But Gallop emphasised his penalties were much higher because of the deceptive practices employed. This is not the case here

One of the fairest responses to salary cap breaches (in addition to penalties) would be at least equivalent reductions in future salary caps. Gallop didn't do this, neither has Smith. I don't agree with either failure.

Last edited:
Meanwhile....hidden away at the bottom of the nrl.com article.....

The Sydney Roosters also face a fine of $41,292 for a breach of the salary cap rules. The breach related to inaccurate reporting of education allowances in the Club's NYC Top 20. The Roosters will also have an opportunity to respond to the breach notice.

Not as bad, I guess. But when did basic maths become so hard for all these c.e.o's????

Also: (if true)

While the Eels hierarchy strongly protested the NRL ultimatum that the club undertake an independent review of its governance and organisational capability, and implement the changes recommended or start next season on minus four competition points, they have been left with no alternative but to comply.

Strongly protested???? 4 salary cap breaches in 5 years and you're complaining about being forced to accept an independent review?

It's hard to judge which is more disgraceful: Parra's continual and total disregard to abide by the rules in the very comp they compete in, or the NRL's total inability to effectively enforce said rules with suitable punishment.

Both should be kicked out of our comp.

- Hey...maybe we should form a breakaway league! Super-duper league???

I saw that, those sneaky little Bondi Rorters..
Once upon a time the suggestion of a rival league would be outrageous. But with the way this NRL admin govern the game, im all for it. Global Eagle, you can be Junior Vice President, the Todd Greenberg of the new league. You've got the popularity vote covered against Toddy already.

I'd settle for competency with the good of the game at heart and not people entrenched with their 'tribal' bias towards their own teams. Watching the admin compared to o/s sports is like watching a group of little boys trying to play in the big boys yard. Eventually they just settle for feathering their own nests.

My Salary Cap Strategy

Instead of clubs paying players directly using NRL grant money, as is currently the case, all contracts should be signed in the presence of an NRL representative and the NRL should pay the players directly.

This goes for third party deals too. All deals must be signed off by an NRL rep and money paid by the sponsor to the player via the NRL.

This way every legitimate dollar a player receives comes directly from the NRL and any player who receives money from elsewhere knows it is outside the cap.

Simple Penalties:

PLAYERS: Minimum 12 month suspension for any player found to have not declared money received from outside sources.

AGENTS: Life bans for any manager involved in deals without direct NRL sign-off and ongoing involvement - or any other cheating like the Melbourne 2 contract BS.

CLUBS: Cap deductions at least double the breach amount for the following year. In the case of systematic cheating to build or maintain a roster, as was the case with Storm and Bulldogs (both of whom won "legitimate" premierships just 2 years after being disqualified), all players should be declared free agents with the NRL guaranteeing the contract amounts but other clubs able to bid for all players at a lesser amount under their cap.

Its not a perfect system and doesn't stop cheating but the penalties would make cheating less worth the risk and NOBODY would be able to claim ignorance or mistakes (or just not answer questions after the fact - yes Broncos I'm looking at you).

Of course, if a club was about to make a "mistake", their assigned expert NRL representative would be in a position to stop it. Obviously if that person made a mistake, there will a case to argue any penalties.

Would any of the above not be an improvement on the mess we have now?

Oh and tatoos commemorating premierships achieved by cheating can be dealt with in one of 2 ways - laser removal, or the word CHEAT in large bold font over the top of it. Player's choice.

Last edited:
Can you actually go into the minuses? Don't think they will lose any this year, but how great would it be to see them start on minus 4 next year.

Yes, you can. Warriors started 2006 with -4 after their previous breaches were discovered by their new administration, during the off-season.

I can't believe they let them off with only a $500k fine.

I bet the roosters, dogs and Brisbane will all put their hands up and say we'll go over the cap and here's the $500k fine.

No balls with this administration!!:banghead:
I know that it wouldn't ever happen but if Parra had won the comp last year would they have just received a fine or would the NRL have stripped them of their comp?

Look this is a disgrace and why Smith and Greenburg should be replaced. Where is the real penalty? Suspended sentences are just hogwash. This League administration is incompetent. They have a salary cap for a reason. If its breached they should come down hard otherwise why shouldnt a side like Manly just spend beyond, get some top line players and pay the financial penalty with no other sanction. This precedent is going to haunt the league for a long time.
The NRL is a complete disgrace and all they are doing is snouts in the trough

Out of $330k in income the clubs receive only $120m. Where is the other $210m going? Salaries for head office staff.

Absolute joke. Never put a banker in charge of anything.

My Salary Cap Strategy

Instead of clubs paying players directly using NRL grant money, as is currently the case, all contracts should be signed in the presence of an NRL representative and the NRL should pay the players directly.

This goes for third party deals too. All deals must be signed off by an NRL rep and money paid by the sponsor to the player via the NRL.

This way every legitimate dollar a player receives comes directly from the NRL and any player who receives money from elsewhere knows it is outside the cap.

Simple Penalties:

PLAYERS: Minimum 12 month suspension for any player found to have not declared money received from outside sources.

AGENTS: Life bans for any manager involved in deals without direct NRL sign-off and ongoing involvement - or any other cheating like the Melbourne 2 contract BS.

CLUBS: Cap deductions at least double the breach amount for the following year. In the case of systematic cheating to build or maintain a roster, as was the case with Storm and Bulldogs (both of whom won "legitimate" premierships just 2 years after being disqualified), all players should be declared free agents with the NRL guaranteeing the contract amounts but other clubs able to bid for all players at a lesser amount under their cap.

Its not a perfect system and doesn't stop cheating but the penalties would make cheating less worth the risk and NOBODY would be able to claim ignorance or mistakes (or just not answer questions after the fact - yes Broncos I'm looking at you).

Of course, if a club was about to make a "mistake", their assigned expert NRL representative would be in a position to stop it. Obviously if that person made a mistake, there will a case to argue any penalties.

Oh and tatoos commemorating premierships achieved by cheating can be dealt with in one of 2 ways - laser removal, or the word CHEAT in large bold font over the top of it. Player's choice.
Good solution. Are you available to take over Banker Smith's job?

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
My Salary Cap Strategy

Simple Penalties:

You've got my vote BB.

The always reliable Moley is saying Beau Scott is not happening now. Would be an interesting development if true...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8