Energy was ....not there

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It seems that we have taken on Seib’s mantra of fast starts, but assumed that’s all we have to do.

Big lack of energy and respect for the opposition from the moment we scored the first try I reckon. We scored it with that much ease that we bought into our own hype and thought it was going to be downhill from then. Then tried to play erratic hero ball nearly every set and made basic errors instead of just simply building pressure and breaking them down slowly.

And one thing I've mentioned on here for like the last two years, is we have nowhere near the same linespeed as the top teams have. One of the main reasons why Penrith have been so successful in the last 4 years is they have suffocating defence before teams even get past their ad line. Their linespeed is so fast and constant and it plays into them building strong field position throughout the game. And they are fit enough to keep it consistent the whole game. We are lightyears away from that and we got walked down nearly every set and kept losing field position.

We lacked energy because we were forced to defend due to our dreadful handling. The lack of respect for the ball made it impossible!
The lack of handling was from a lateral sideways attack trying to play pretty and not willing to cop any bruises running straight and direct and winning momentum in the guts, which I feel again is an easy way out and lacks energy....we played sideways leading to errors and Manly's contact in defence was also far softer that they dished up to us....they got us into a dogfight that we wern't up for and I see it as nothing less than our players taking accountability including Tom T as our key player dropping 3 in a row in that 1st half.

The Team error rate was 11 Manly 8 Dragons
The Dragons were not far behind in errors but well ahead in Intent
Manly had 16 errors & 34 missed tackles!!! The Dragons error rate was higher in the 2nd half but missed tackles were way less. I think the 3 Ts were ordinary today. The errors from our most senior players was a major reason for the loss. Maybe this loss will wake them up a little?

We lacked energy because we were forced to defend due to our dreadful handling. The lack of respect for the ball made it impossible!
Mmm I don’t agree with this. Saints dropped a heap of ball. We had something like 25 to Saints 5 play the balls in the opposition 20 at one point. If any side had an excuse for being fatigued, it was Illawarra. Both sides should hang their heads in shame for one of the most mediocre spectacles I can remember. Saints were just marginally less poor because of their goal line defence.

Wow Manly laid one mighty egg tonight. I did not see that coming.
Full strength team and completely inneffectual in attack. I reckon they were up for the Parra game and this was the hangover after being robbed.

Very strange game. Never looked like winning after being up 6-0.

NYEagle
Relax mate…..Saab & Lodge to come back, then we will be at full strength.

Big lack of energy and respect for the opposition from the moment we scored the first try I reckon. We scored it with that much ease that we bought into our own hype and thought it was going to be downhill from then. Then tried to play erratic hero ball nearly every set and made basic errors instead of just simply building pressure and breaking them down slowly.

And one thing I've mentioned on here for like the last two years, is we have nowhere near the same linespeed as the top teams have. One of the main reasons why Penrith have been so successful in the last 4 years is they have suffocating defence before teams even get past their ad line. Their linespeed is so fast and constant and it plays into them building strong field position throughout the game. And they are fit enough to keep it consistent the whole game. We are lightyears away from that and we got walked down nearly every set and kept losing field position.
I agree but the bizarre thing is we can do it sometimes. Like the Chooks game at Brookie. It’s the forwards attitude of smashing the opposition on every tackle. Line speed and intent is there.

It seems we have that level of energy and intent but only when we really need to win or we are playing a top side. Whereas Penrith have brought that attitude every week for four years now. I feel like we have it in us but the collective competitive mindset is very fragile.

I wasn’t even a tiny bit surprised with yesterday. Devastated and disappointed, yes, but not surprised.

Mmm I don’t agree with this. Saints dropped a heap of ball. We had something like 25 to Saints 5 play the balls in the opposition 20 at one point. If any side had an excuse for being fatigued, it was Illawarra. Both sides should hang their heads in shame for one of the most mediocre spectacles I can remember. Saints were just marginally less poor because of their goal line defence.
The first half was the difference, we dropped double the amount of ball and they took full advantage, the 2nd half both teams were dreadful with the ball.

The first half was the difference, we dropped double the amount of ball and they took full advantage, the 2nd half both teams were dreadful with the ball.
I’m adamant we dropped heaps of ball because the intensity was down, not the other way around. Balls get dropped because the players don’t have their heads in the game.

I’m adamant we dropped heaps of ball because the intensity was down, not the other way around. Balls get dropped because the players don’t have their heads in the game.
I wonder where their heads were?

1711874241718.jpeg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8