England in bid for Manly Sea Eagles star Daly Cherry-Evans as 2011 NRL grand final looms

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rusty

Bencher
England have made a bold bid to steal Manly half Daly Cherry-Evans, offering him a walk-up start to play in this year's Four Nations.
In a move that is sure to test the rookie's loyalties, England coach Steve McNamara called Daly Cherry-Evans last week in a bid to entice him to play for the Poms. Cherry-Evans is eligible to play for England because his mother's family hails from the UK.

Read the full article

Gee it would be good for the international game though. The poms need one like this

Brissie Kid said:
Moondog said:
You should play for the country (and state) you were born in....simple really.

Bob Fulton & Ian Roberts were born in England.

Where you're born has nothing to do with it.
It's where you grow up. A kid is a drain of public money. Their schooling, healthcare etc is at a cost to the taxpayer. When the kid grows up, theoretically they become a taxpayer in that society & repay the debt. Some of them can go on & represent that society to repay that debt. This is how the decision should be made & it shouldn't be a choice either. Blokes like Christian Vieri shouldn't be able to turn their backs on the people who paid their way through life.

Strange view of humanity duff. Each child is born into debt. Couldn't disagree more.

Based on what?
That's how the system works. Cherry is a Qlder & an Australian, that is who he owes & that is who he should represent.

Ingls is another Vieri style traitor. My NSW taxes funded his schooling, not that it's very evident.

NSW players turning out for Qld is just a ridiculous anomaly that should never have happened. But selection criteria for rep footy teams has nothing to do with a view of kids as owing a debt.

Bollocks SER8, that's entirely what it's about. Society pays for kids in the hope that some of them will have the talent to represent them. It makes a mockery of taxpayers if someone is prepared to live off one society & then represent another, which has done nothing for them.

Duff said:
Bollocks SER8, that's entirely what it's about. Society pays for kids in the hope that some of them will have the talent to represent them. It makes a mockery of taxpayers if someone is prepared to live off one society & then represent another, which has done nothing for them.

Its a weird way of thinking about life. Every generation pays a cost to the next, a benefit they also recieved so essentially its neutral

Who a player elects to play for represents very little on the tax dollar. In fact the payment a player recieves from another nation will be taxed by australia so in this instance the ATO and australian society would benefit

Possibly any institue of sport who invested time and cash may be the only possible loser in this situation.

Most people that care enough to invest there time only want whats best for the kids, so its unlikely the canteen mums or junior coaches feel ripped off

Im not trying to get into any conflict with you duff, especially on Manly day. I just see it differently.

Cheers

Duff said:

I agree with this I'm stilled pissed that foran dogged us after all the money spent on him in youth development. Real poor form typical Kiwi's bludging of aussie

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8