Figuring out the scriptwriting...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

yokahontas

Bencher
Just had a bash (on Facebook) at figuring out what the NRL script is for the next few weeks:

Ok, this is going to be a long post. Consider yourselves warned.

Someone told me a few months ago that I would make a good scriptwriter for the NRL, so here are my predictions for the rest of the finals series:

Sharks vs Cowboys (today): Sharks to win, with the narrative that they are starting to build into a tilt at back-to-back titles (B2B titles are highly unlikely for any club, however, as there is far more money in merchandise sales when a club wins after a drought, particularly a long one. People are much less likely to rush out and buy all the t-shirts, stickers, commemorative posters etc when last year's are still in good nick). Cowboys narrative: they've bravely limped into the finals without JT, but will go no further.

Next week: Brisbane vs Penrith (Brisbane were never going to win Wk 1, by the way - there's far more money in a Wk 2 game at Suncorp than one at Allianz). Brisbane to win, as they'll be the only Qld team left to keep interest north of the border for another week. Penrith are only a peripheral part of the 'battle for Western Sydney' (against AFL and soccer) so, while they were handy to pique the Westie interest Wk 1, they become expendable once they come up against the Queensland money-spinners.

Sharks vs Roosters: I'm tipping the Sharks, given there's far more value in keeping the B2B narrative going for one more week, than there is in keeping the comparatively small Roosters fan base happy.

Your Week 3 winners, and grand finalists, will be Melbourne and Parramatta.

Now this is an interesting one; the NRL need Parramatta to do well, and to win a premiership in the very near future, to reignite waning interest in rugby league in the West, largely down to the recent successes of GWS and WSW.

However, this year there's a hiccup that may not have been foreseen at the beginning of the season: Cronk leaving Melbourne. Parramatta were never going to be allowed to win Week 1 and spoil Scam Smith's milestone game; they may, similarly, be held back from marring the last game that Scam, Gronk and Billy the Cat play together for Melbourne.

How GWS go over the next couple of weeks could have an impact though; if they pull the rabbit out of the hat and recover from their first-up loss to go on and win the flag, expect a quick script rewrite for the NRL during Grand Final week, with the Melbourne big three to go down valiantly against the great white hope of Western Sydney rugby league.

Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the Melbourne fairytale to take out this year, and the Parramatta one to be writ large all over 2018.

I didn't want to say this last night because I don't want to appear as a consperacy theorist......but after sleeping on it I figured I may as well.

After doesn't-matta lost in Melbourne yesterday afternoon I thought to myself are were going to get screwed against Penrith because with the Worms now on the elimination tight rope, do the NRL want/need another western Sydney team as an insurance policy? Even if neither make the GF, having both go deeper into the finals is better in their turf war with the AFL and A-League. And it looks better still considering that the GWS lost their AFL final in Adelaide on Thursday night and are now one loss away from elimination.

I guess I got my answer after Walker's try was overturned and Peachey's was allowed. I know we weren't near our best last night and certainly didn't help our own cause, but I still think given a fair blow of the whistle (so to speak) that we would have ultimately won.

Last edited:
Yeah but you expect that from Vince McMahon. He's in charge of a business that is more scripted than a Hollywood blockbuster. Greenturd and the NRL as a governing body are supposed to be impartial.

I remember reading something along the theme of
Storm salary cap - 2yrs later they won
Sharks Drugs - 2yrs later won
Dogs salary cap - 2yrs later won
I think there was more
Parra salary cap - 2yrs later........

I didn't want to say this last night because I don't want to appear as a consperacy theorist......but after sleeping on it I figured I may as well.

After doesn't-matta lost in Melbourne yesterday afternoon I thought to myself are were going to get screwed against Penrith because with the Worms now on the elimination tight rope, do the NRL want/need another western Sydney team as an insurance policy? Even if neither make the GF, having both go deeper into the finals is better in their turf war with the AFL and A-League. And it looks better still considering that the GWS lost their AFL final in Adelaide on Thursday night.

I guess I got my answer after Walker's try was overturned and Peachey's was allowed. I know we weren't near our best last night and certainly didn't help our own cause, but I still think given a fair blow of the whistle (so to speak) that we would have ultimately won.

I'm not sure if it was even that so much as, if you look at each matchup individually and the pros/cons for each team, we were always going to be up against it. Widely disliked club with a relatively small, loyal fan base vs Western Sydney club? No brainer. That game last week was throwing us a bone - nothing really riding on it as long as Penrith's F/A didn't blow out, so we could be allowed to get some consolation from the flat-out rort the previous time we played them.

Similar with Brisbane on Friday night: ordinarily, you'd expect them to be favoured - but follow the money trail...packed house at Suncorp Wk 2, vs half-full Allianz = another no-brainer.

Scam's fairytale: no-brainer (expect Parramatta to get all the leg ups against other opposition from here on in though).

I think with today's game, Cowboys fans are counting themselves lucky to have made the 8, so will skip off happily with a Wk 1 exit, thinking "next year...when we have JT back...". There's more ticket sales in keeping the Sharks B2B frenzy rolling a bit longer.

I remember reading something along the theme of
Storm salary cap - 2yrs later they won
Sharks Drugs - 2yrs later won
Dogs salary cap - 2yrs later won
I think there was more
Parra salary cap - 2yrs later........

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think the 'Big 3 retirement fairytale' is being brought forward a couple of years thanks to Cronk, and Parramatta will be waltzed to a premiership next year. I'm even pre-empting the "you've gotta lose one to win one" talk we'll hear all next season after they lose this year's GF.

Never thought i say these flithy words go parra for rest of year

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the 'ewwww' emoji.

I doubt I'll even watch any games from here on in; hoping if it goes the way I think it will, it's a massive bloodbath with blatantly awful refereeing from start to finish.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the 'ewwww' emoji.

I doubt I'll even watch any games from here on in; hoping if it goes the way I think it will, it's a massive bloodbath with blatantly awful refereeing from start to finish.
My mrs and daughter go for them. I got to say i feel the same. Its gonna be a long off season

I'm an Adelaide boy who grew up on a staple winter diet of Aussie rules footy so I'll watch the AFL and the local SANFL (even though both of my teams are out...one didn't even make it), and I'll watch our U/20's and cheer for the Aussies and Manly players in the World Cup. But until 2018, the NRL can go jump as far as I'm concerned.

We all know who the NRL want in the GF (and who they want to win it), so unless first doesn't-matta next week then the Drizzle in the prelim implode and play their worst games ever.....its taken the interest out of it for me now that Manly is out.

Last edited:
Roy finally saying what we've pointed out for years...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-to-win-the-grand-final-20170908-gydzjb.html

The past three, possibly four years, the NRL has got the premier it wanted.

Last year, the Sharks, having entered the competition in 1967, broke through for their maiden premiership, despite being wooden spooned by a drugs crisis only a few years earlier.

In 2015, it was the Cowboys, also winning their inaugural title, made more dramatic by a victory in extra time, courtesy of the game's most lovable player, Johnathan Thurston.

It was Souths turn in 2014, the fairy tale of the once "pride of the league" who had been culled from the competition in the wake of the Super League war.

Yet another redemptive story for the most Old Testament of sports.

You could argue the NRL were also delighted when the Roosters won in 2013.

Just had a bash (on Facebook) at figuring out what the NRL script is for the next few weeks:

Someone told me a few months ago that I would make a good scriptwriter for the NRL, so here are my predictions for the rest of the finals series:

Sharks vs Cowboys (today): Sharks to win, with the narrative that they are starting to build into a tilt at back-to-back titles (B2B titles are highly unlikely for any club, however, as there is far more money in merchandise sales when a club wins after a drought, particularly a long one. People are much less likely to rush out and buy all the t-shirts, stickers, commemorative posters etc when last year's are still in good nick). Cowboys narrative: they've bravely limped into the finals without JT, but will go no further.

Next week: Brisbane vs Penrith (Brisbane were never going to win Wk 1, by the way - there's far more money in a Wk 2 game at Suncorp than one at Allianz). Brisbane to win, as they'll be the only Qld team left to keep interest north of the border for another week. Penrith are only a peripheral part of the 'battle for Western Sydney' (against AFL and soccer) so, while they were handy to pique the Westie interest Wk 1, they become expendable once they come up against the Queensland money-spinners.

Sharks vs Roosters: I'm tipping the Sharks, given there's far more value in keeping the B2B narrative going for one more week, than there is in keeping the comparatively small Roosters fan base happy.

Now this is an interesting one; the NRL need Parramatta to do well, and to win a premiership in the very near future, to reignite waning interest in rugby league in the West, largely down to the recent successes of GWS and WSW.

However, this year there's a hiccup that may not have been foreseen at the beginning of the season: Cronk leaving Melbourne. Parramatta were never going to be allowed to win Week 1 and spoil Scam Smith's milestone game; they may, similarly, be held back from marring the last game that Scam, Gronk and Billy the Cat play together for Melbourne.

How GWS go over the next couple of weeks could have an impact though; if they pull the rabbit out of the hat and recover from their first-up loss to go on and win the flag, expect a quick script rewrite for the NRL during Grand Final week, with the Melbourne big three to go down valiantly against the great white hope of Western Sydney rugby league.

Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the Melbourne fairytale to take out this year, and the Parramatta one to be writ large all over 2018.
I think the eels will need more than a script to beat the roosters, Melbourne won't lose to broncos or panthers but will lose to the roosters I think

Reads more like a f#cking Horror movie script.

I think the eels will need more than a script to beat the roosters, Melbourne won't lose to broncos or panthers but will lose to the roosters I think

I hope that you're right, but I doubt it. The officials will give the chosen pairing every bit of help they can.

Nailed it !!
Storm v parasites would have toddles go off like a custard truck smashing into a brick wall.
Whatever and whoever storm play sCam must be crowned winning captain for " all he has done for the NRL".
And yes, right again, the slime will get the rails run next year.
I think the sharks and roosters though, are the black hats in Turdburger's plan.
Sharks don't care cause they are villans already and the rorters because toddles is sh*t scared of uncle Nick.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8