GAME DAY - Manly v Eels [Round 24, 2015] Toovey Farewell Tour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hmmmm.....Wally Lewis lets slip in the pre-game that he actually did sign with Manly back in 1986. I wonder what killed it?

Not that I'm complaining because I think we definitely got the better end of the deal. Wally only had another 2-3 good years years left in him. And without Wally it saw the emergence of Cliffy who was brilliant over the next 13 years :)
He signrd before Broncos had come into the nswrl, once they got the green light he was made to play there

Hmmmm.....Wally Lewis lets slip in the pre-game that he actually did sign with Manly back in 1986. I wonder what killed it?

Not that I'm complaining because I think we definitely got the better end of the deal. Wally only had another 2-3 good years years left in him. And without Wally it saw the emergence of Cliffy who was brilliant over the next 13 years :)
Both Wally and Gene Miles agreed to play for Manly but McAuliffe (?) of Qld would not give a release.

Actually, I think it was probably the contract he had with the QRL. From memory the deal was that if the QRL could match an offer from a Sydney club (or wanted to match it) then he had to stay in Brisbane. Obviously senator Ron McAulliffe wasn't about to allow their top draw card to waltz off to Sydney on a big money contract, especially given that Manly already had a few Qld players (Fatty, Chris Close etc).

I think a few Qld Origin players had those contracts. Gene Miles was another. Bob Lindner also had one from what I've read, but they agreed to let him go to the Speels for 1987 before the 1986 Kangaroo Tour turned him into a star.

I think the QRL also probably had a word in a few ears about the Broncos starting in 1988 so they didn't even have to go to Sydney.

Not the 1st time that he has mentioned it during pre-game commentary of a Sea Eagles match. He must wish that he had come over to us, otherwise it wouldn't be worth mentioning repeatedly.

Not the 1st time that he has mentioned it during pre-game commentary of a Sea Eagles match. He must wish that he had come over to us, otherwise it wouldn't be worth mentioning repeatedly.

As much as having the then test captain and best player in the world would have been a good thing, I still say I'm glad he stayed in Brisbane. Wally really only had about 3 good years left in him and by 1990 his body was pretty much busted. Cliffy gave us countless memories for the next 13 years.

Hmmmm I think Peta Hiku is under instruction not to leave Semi in defence. He was on him like a shot then.

Not a great start. Jake drops the ball and we seem very bunched in attack.

And as I say that Peta comes in and forces Snake and Killer to scramble on Semi. Then Peta drops the bleedin' ball.

HOLD THE BALL FELLAS.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8