GAME DAY - Manly v Eels [Round 24, 2015] Toovey Farewell Tour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
2 more games to go,i will be glad when this seasons over,however they will belt the rorters next week,"said with eternal optimism"

You see how many tackles some of those Bulldogs forwards get who play big minutes, and are much older? I don't buy that. So your telling me Toovey isn't the defense coach and doesn't get a say when / if Ballin comes back on?

Toovey isn't in control of fitness either, also you don't know what state JT was in after that head knock last week.
Im not saying toovey wasn't involvbed in bringing Ballin back on. I am saying he would not of made that decision 100% himself, the call would of come from train/med staff and then asking ballin himself.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
In parting with my comments on this game, there is one clear sign of how much you want to win. Think back to the North Queensland game where Manly had the lead and in the last 6 or 7 minutes there were a ton of scrums. For every single scum the Cowboys sprinted to get the scrum formed and stopped the clock. You could just feel it that each time they saved valuable seconds by packing down that their threat got bigger and bigger, and ultimately, the Cowboys scored in the last minute.
In this game I saw none of that urgency. I reckon 4 or 5 minutes counted down in the second half while players stood around.
To me, that's the different between a team really wanting it, and a team that may want it, but maybe not as much.
NYEagle

That was, without a doubt the worst performance I have ever seen anyone play. It was disgusting. Foran, Matai, Hasson and maybe Jake are the only people that can hold their head up high after that. We played like a team that thought they had already won. We played like a team that almost didn't want to win. I am lost for words, and I don't know what else to say really. We played ****ing gutless and with that performance we don't deserve anywhere near the eight. This is a performance I expect from a wooden spoon under 20s team. Not a first grade side trying for a top 8 position. I am so mad right now. When Hasson is one of our best we have problems.

I totally agree... For those wanting Ballin to leave, if you focus on today's game you would realise what an assett he is for us. Cherry Evans (apart from the refs not enforcing the 10 meters) seemed very uncomfortable with the service from dummy half. Our backline movements were nowhere near as crisp and sharp as other weeks. Not a happy day for us supporters!! One thing is important, we wont be getting the spoon at least.

Toovey isn't in control of fitness either, also you don't know what state JT was in after that head knock last week.
Im not saying toovey wasn't involvbed in bringing Ballin back on. I am saying he would not of made that decision 100% himself, the call would of come from train/med staff and then asking ballin himself.

Well if Jake T was unfit, why wasn't he rested and BJ brought in as a replacement? I don't get it. Ballin looked gone as well when he first came off. When he came back on, I thought to myself, this is rhoulette.

End of the day, Toovey is the final call on all matters. He doesn't like the defensive structures, he changes them, or the apparent other person that coaches the D.

We looked sloppy yes. But Parramatta looked just as sloppy. They just played through the ruck. They took advantage of wide defensive flaws in us, and Radradra ran rampant.

As others have said, Arthur has Toovey completely covered in all areas man on man in our particular games.

We have seen our forwards turn up in games. They didn't tonight. I bet Trent Robinson (in fact, Guerra spoke about it) drives in forward attitude each game, and "post hit metres". Toovey on his weekly TV show said that he "thinks it means metres after being hit by the D".

That's shocking.

@HappilyManly I'd love you to tell me in an analytical way where I was wrong here? Why do you disagree? Honestly, any points.....if you can't, then your just being an A-hole disagreeing for no reason.

List where I have written something wrong?

Why would you want cover for Ballin on the bench? There was no cover for Foran or Cherry Evans either. I'm sure they didn't expect Ballin to go down like that, and having Hodges on the bench would have been a waste. Ballin has been really good the past few weeks. You can't cover every scenario. Also, Trbojevic was injured, he didn't play 20s, so he wasn't playing 1sts regardless.

Just a shame. I felt bad about this match as soon as the midweek weather report came in. The conditions today suited the slime better. The rain was a curse.
I'm not getting involved in any coach or player bashing. Being positioned where we were prior to today's match was a pleasant a surprise to most.
Hope we can finish the year with a surprise wins over the chooks and sharks.

Why would you want cover for Ballin on the bench? There was no cover for Foran or Cherry Evans either. I'm sure they didn't expect Ballin to go down like that, and having Hodges on the bench would have been a waste. Ballin has been really good the past few weeks. You can't cover every scenario. Also, Trbojevic was injured, he didn't play 20s, so he wasn't playing 1sts regardless.

But you HAVE to have back-up plan @mmmdl. It reminded me of when Lyon was out, and one of the players was interviewed, and they claimed we didn't have a goal kicking back-up plan by Tooves, and they had to decide on the fly. That's horrid.

Next year, we are fine with a back-up utility player, because we'll have Brown and Buhrer who can realistically combines cover 5/8, centre, hooker & backrow. Symonds can also slot into the centres and 5/8.

If you don't have that option, I'm a firm believer in you needed at least SOME form of other back-up plan. I thought Leary did ok there...but jeez, as others have said, you really see Ballins obvious value to us.

Well if Jake T was unfit, why wasn't he rested and BJ brought in as a replacement? I don't get it. Ballin looked gone as well when he first came off. When he came back on, I thought to myself, this is rhoulette.

End of the day, Toovey is the final call on all matters. He doesn't like the defensive structures, he changes them, or the apparent other person that coaches the D.

We looked sloppy yes. But Parramatta looked just as sloppy. They just played through the ruck. They took advantage of wide defensive flaws in us, and Radradra ran rampant.

As others have said, Arthur has Toovey completely covered in all areas man on man in our particular games.

We have seen our forwards turn up in games. They didn't tonight. I bet Trent Robinson (in fact, Guerra spoke about it) drives in forward attitude each game, and "post hit metres". Toovey on his weekly TV show said that he "thinks it means metres after being hit by the D".

That's shocking.

BJ hasn't played for ages, why bring him back now? reports were he was terrible in NSW Cup when he did play.
His coming back from a back injury.
We have a weak pack this year. and again as reported we all know toovey didnt get a say on the forwards we recruited. We have lost King, Stewart and Watmough in one year and we haven't replaced it with the same amount of class.
I don't care about Trent robinson, anyone could coach the roosters with thier $20 million dollar team.

I actually thought just before kickoff, with the old boys around, that this looked like a distraction.
I know this should be the opposite and they should give the players a lift, but I just got that feeling at the time.
This isn't an excuse by any means. They played poorly. May not of helped that very ordinary start.
Hey Rusty
Spot on!
Had exactly the same feeling!.
I thought the same thing just before kickoff. Imagine being a footy player and seeing all your heroes before the game and talking with them it must affect concentration on the game at hand. My god they couldn't even wait for all these blokes to file away from the sidelines before kickoff!.
Some of the players must have been thinking - wow every player I ever idolised is just over there right now.
Big mistake by the club IMO.
NYEagle

We were **** house, no other way to put it. For a team fighting to get in the finals, that was a disgrace. The people who needed to stand up didn't, they know who they are and I welcome them having over 6 months to understand what manly means?? They need to pull there heads out of there arse and understand WE are Manly and we don't lie down lie down . 2015 is now over,now start concentrating on 2016.

BJ hasn't played for ages, why bring him back now? reports were he was terrible in NSW Cup when he did play.
His coming back from a back injury.
We have a weak pack this year. and again as reported we all know toovey didnt get a say on the forwards we recruited. We have lost King, Stewart and Watmough in one year and we haven't replaced it with the same amount of class.
I don't care about Trent robinson, anyone could coach the roosters with thier $20 million dollar team.

But @Clay , I'd be down with what your saying, if I hadn't seen these exact forwards roll over The Warriors, Broncos & Rabbits packs. Tonight was about attitude, game plan and execution.

The Raiders / Stuart tore us up the middle last week, and The Eels / Arthur played off that, and took advantage again - the issues weren't addressed.

But @Clay , I'd be down with what your saying, if I hadn't seen these exact forwards roll over The Warriors, Broncos & Rabbits packs. Tonight was about attitude, game plan and execution.

The Raiders / Stuart tore us up the middle last week, and The Eels / Arthur played off that, and took advantage again - the issues weren't addressed.

But what are the issues in the forwards that weren't addressed?
For me I think the team tried too hard. There seemed to be effort for most of the game. We lacked Composure. There were plenty of missed opportunities.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8