Game Day Thread (idea)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Hey guys, a lot has been said about the Game Day Threads here this past week. One thing I've noticed about supporting other sports teams, is they have "Live Game Day Threads".

Is there a way we can create a "Live Game Day Link" on this site (in the usual GDT's), that people can use each gane, that takes them to some sort of external vehicle (but still Silvertails), where people can be open, transparent (and I guess more vocal, energetic and vigorous).

We could then leave the usual existing GDT here as normal, for those who only want to see, read and experience just the positives where people can.....well....do what they want to do.

I think this would settle many issues. I'd love nothing more than getting into the trenches with many of you, to ride the highs and lows during the games in that external vehicle, where we can be open, ruthless and rowdy hahaha.

Then, the people who want peace, don't want to get triggered, want to take just the positives can remain in the NORMAL , existing GDT and can float along, all smiles.

If people thinks this would be something they'd appreciate and/or enjoy (please comment), I'll hit Dan up to see if it would work - my tech skills are still at cassette tape commodore 64 haha, so I have no idea.

Like I said, I'd love to just open up shared cans of whoop-arse with many of you during games (and flourish positivity when warranted).

I'd love people's thoughts. Get someone like @Wombat64 to moderate the new vehicle thingy.

EDIT: make it a Silvertails chat pop-up box, with heaps of emojis , gifs and all that. Would actually be fun and hilarious Maybe something you.can record your voice (or video selfie) as well and say something hahaha

Last edited:
Say what you want mate in the normal thread as long as it is within the long list of site rules who bloody cares what others think. People give others far too much influence and responsibility over their own personal sensibilities and reactions to things. I look forward to reading some of your passionate posts in the future even the ones I completely disagree with 😂

Another game day thread idea is 'Game Day Check In' - one thread per season. On each game day, Silvertails could inform of their location & medium for watching the game. It may be interesting to learn of the various locations in Australia & around the world. For example, I watched the last couple of games at Bondi Sports Bar & Grill, Lamai Beach, Thailand. I'll be in Bangkok for the next two games, but will be otherwise occupied on those days.

Another game day thread idea is 'Game Day Check In' - one thread per season. On each game day, Silvertails could inform of their location & medium for watching the game. It may be interesting to learn of the various locations in Australia & around the world. For example, I watched the last couple of games at Bondi Sports Bar & Grill, Lamai Beach, Thailand. I'll be in Bangkok for the next two games, but will be otherwise occupied on those days.
When you have no life like me, the reading might become a bit boring haha. Sounds like you have an amazing life mate

When you have no life like me, the reading might become a bit boring haha. Sounds like you have an amazing life mate
When possible, I like to spend most of my time in Asia :)

I guess the theme of such a thread would be seeing what efforts supporters in different places make to watch games. For example, someone might be camping in the outback, but make sure they have an internet connection on game day.

When possible, I like to spend most of my time in Asia :)

I guess the theme of such a thread would be seeing what efforts supporters in different places make to watch games. For example, someone might be camping in the outback, but make sure they have an internet connection on game day.
I've been in a caravan in old North Wales (as opposed to NSW) on a canal boat in England, in a farmhouse in France, an apartment in Portugal and in a villa in Spain and always managed to watch the match live (sometimes getting up at about 4.30am to make sure I can watch live)

It's always great for a laugh.

Agree, it is what it is and should stay that way.
If it's driving people away though, or reducing people's enjoyment of the site, I think we have to think alternatives - this board IS here for everyone, afterall.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I don't want the thought that I could be a reason people step away from something they enjoy. That would destroy me (and I'm already literally walking a very fine line in fragility despite my verbose on these boards) - things affect me 10 fold.

People will walk away for a variety of reasons be it on here or reasons in their own life.

People also have the ability to abstain from a particular thread or discusion if they dont feel it is conducive to their needs.

People can also mute individuals should they please.

So to a extent, users can have some control over their experience..

You are being a tough marker on yourself if you are holding yourself accountable for other people exiting the forum.

Sounds like a discord server would probably suit.
Not sure how Dan would feel about something that took traffic away from the site though

Sounds like a discord server would probably suit.
Not sure how Dan would feel about something that took traffic away from the site though
I'm "pretty sure" he floated the idea of a pop up quite a few years ago, but I might be wrong.

If it's driving people away though, or reducing people's enjoyment of the site, I think we have to think alternatives - this board IS here for everyone, afterall.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I don't want the thought that I could be a reason people step away from something they enjoy. That would destroy me (and I'm already literally walking a very fine line in fragility despite my verbose on these boards) - things affect me 10 fold.
Fair call but everyone has the choice not to engage in the GDT… it is not like the game is shown live there…

I guess we could have a GDT (Rainbows and Unicorns version) where negativity is not allowed?

I personally don’t get into the GDT generally but supporters/posters need to be able to vent… imo…

of course, in the end, the mods will decide what we are allowed/ not allowed to do - and I am fine with that too…

Yeah it’s not the GDT that bothers me - I used to post in it but stay away now because of the toxic content, but I agree it should stay.

It’s the constant negativity in all the other threads that’s annoying.

Yeah it’s not the GDT that bothers me - I used to post in it but stay away now because of the toxic content, but I agree it should stay.

It’s the constant negativity in all the other threads that’s annoying.
Yeah I agree… we can probs all clean up our interactions with other posters and lots of threads go off topic really quick…

It is a hard question to answer tho… if people are disappointed with Schu then posting that disappointment in the “no-look” thread (which has been in the top 5 threads all year) is the place to do it…

unfortunately, people that are wanting to contribute something positive about Schu (he took a pay cut, he scored a remarkable try, I saw him drive straight past KFC etc) also post in that thread and then get immediate blow-back…

Negativity does wear you down but it has been a negative year (decade?) for Manly so the mood is pretty deflated. Add that to the fact that people’s own mental health ebbs and flows based on external factors and occasionally people are gonna lose their cornflakes or quit the site for some period of time…

You could split threads into positive/negative but that would negate the whole purpose of a forum (to debate, to vent, to learn)…

The dismissive sniping of other posters could probably be more closely addressed (apologies to mods if it is being addressed - how would I know?) but then I have been guilty of that myself (mental health is not my strength at the best of times - and the mods did pull me up at times)

sooooo I guess the answer is a pineapple??

No need to start a different thread. As a few people have already said, if you don't want to go on there (for whatever reason) then don't go on. I rarely go on the game day thread anymore, it was detracting from my enjoyment of the actual game. We're winning - we have the best players in the world, we're losing - the team is full of lazy, overpaid wankers.

No need to start a different thread. As a few people have already said, if you don't want to go on there (for whatever reason) then don't go on. I rarely go on the game day thread anymore, it was detracting from my enjoyment of the actual game. We're winning - we have the best players in the world, we're losing - the team is full of lazy, overpaid wankers.
yep, the GDT is a real rollercoaster 😂

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8