Garricks metres gained

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

susan

Bencher
Depends if you want to win a comp or just be a nuisance. The best sides have great wingers.Roosters and Melbourne for example.
Ferguson , Radrada and Sivo have played a huge part in transforming Parra.
We don’t have great wingers though Horhay is still a good first grader.We have scored one try from a kick all year and conceded plenty.Id prefer my worker bees to be in a different position.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Depends if you want to win a comp or just be a nuisance. The best sides have great wingers.Roosters and Melbourne for example.
Ferguson , Radrada and Sivo have played a huge part in transforming Parra.
We don’t have great wingers though Horhay is still a good first grader.We have scored one try from a kick all year and conceded plenty.Id prefer my worker bees to be in a different position.
Yeah, wing is by FAR our weakest link. The boys do an admirable job, but it is our Achilles Heel.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I don’t take any notice of those stats for wingers unless they are out of the box. It’s not like forwards where the pay is always congested. And every metre is fought for.

Depends on where and when you get it, how often you get it , maybe an intercept , easy metres from an easy draw and pass etc on the wing.My eyes tell me he didn’t beat a tsckle and got smashed most times.As chip and chase says. Happens every week. Nothing new.

Considering we never once put Garrick into open space, all his metres were made supposedly when he was getting ragdolled every time he took a hit up.

Mataiforever

Bencher
Some of you guys are hard taskmasters I swear.

Reubs hasn't done much wrong at all in general play, yet he keeps getting bagged, primarily because people see him getting ragdolled by the defence at times. The problem he's had mostly is that our attack has been lame for the most part and he's rarely seen any ball in open space, let alone a lot of opportunities to score tries. Most of the time he is seeing the ball is on kick returns. He's been very safe under any bomb kicked his way and his defence has also been fairly good.

Right now if we need a change of winger then its Jorge who needs to go, not Reubs.
Completely agree. I appreciate Jorges tough carries but he also costs us at least a try a game.. in finals time that will punish us against good opposition, especially good playmakers who target poor wingers like Cleary, Keary, Reynolds etc. which could make it as much as 2-3 tries a game down his edge.

Reubs never has an error leading to a try and is always good under high ball. In open space he is quick but not like he has had any opportunities of late

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
He was busy though tonight. He had a lot of carries, got belted lots and kept going , only to be belted.

He didnt shirk it
The opposition know to hit him right underneath the ball. Spilled it twice in bringing it back. Gets rag dolled, and his kicking is shiit house compared to last year. Im really hoping we go after Charlie Saab.
But according to my daughter he’s hot, and for that alone he keeps his spot.:rolleyes:

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Garrick is safe under the high ball.

I don’t see him as a threatening player, he does not return the ball with speed to the defensive line. That horrible jink 5 metres before the defenders then getting caught with his body to upright gets hammered.

Tonight’s game he had a good chance to jump for a kick but elected to wait for the hammer to catch it then tackle him, a very defensive mind set.

If all he offers is he can finish then we are an easy read for opposing teams, he needs more to his game.

This season he has developed errors in his game, he has not kicked on despite making the Aussie nines team.

The Indian

Bencher
Reuben is copping it..... OK Hes no superstar but that last play of the game he busted his ass in defence to get back and make a tackle. He's not perfect but he's a keeper. Watch that last play when we are up by 12 with 1 minute to go.and the Cowboys make a break... some chase...some don't.... Garrick did and made a tackle.

but the weakest link.in our backline.... It's clearly on the other side.... Case closed

Smokin Joe

Bencher
Problem with that is the biggest task by far a winger has in the modern game is to start a set off with a hard run and quick play the ball, not get deposited into row 6 every time.
Every NRL winger can finish. The real good ones are the guys who set the platform.
Sorry Susan,this is what ****s me to tears,you go on about us having the slowest backline,but now you say the most important thing is making yards out of our own half.
You want a speed demon but also a beast to make yards,geez mate you are a hard taskmaster.
How much do you want to spend on 2 wingers?

Garrick is safe under the high ball.

I don’t see him as a threatening player, he does not return the ball with speed to the defensive line. That horrible jink 5 metres before the defenders then getting caught with his body to upright gets hammered.

Tonight’s game he had a good chance to jump for a kick but elected to wait for the hammer to catch it then tackle him, a very defensive mind set.

If all he offers is he can finish then we are an easy read for opposing teams, he needs more to his game.

This season he has developed errors in his game, he has not kicked on despite making the Aussie nines team.
I am so over guys saying we should by this or that because what we have is ****e

I have a rude shock for the guys doing it...we spend the money we have! Got it?

Garrick is a very good 200k winger, Horhay is a great Manly winger who puts his heart in it EVERY game that costs @ 250k minus his long service discount. Probably 200k net and is our leading tryscorer.

If anyone wants to bandy on about spending money on buying him and him then start a TPA first FFS. Nonsensical drivel that just goes on and on.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Good thing Des is the coach and not us Silvertails. Plenty to like about tonight. Should have been 18 zip at halftime and we responded very well to another Maxwell rort after a very long day. Always room for improvement, but the boys have put in this past fortnight to get us back in the eight. We are going okay.

Reuben got smashed a few times tonight, but he was never put into open space. So every one of his 129 metres were earned coming off our own line... the hardest yards to make, irrespective of whether a player is a forward or back.
You make a good point - look at the difference between last night and say the game against Oldcastle.

I think Propski scored last night but was denied the try. He seemed out of sorts thereafter, but the team held it together and won quite convincingly, after a long day and a tough game.

Against the Knoughts at Brookvale, they had 80 minutes to get over a fairly ordinary team, but couldn’t do it. Winning these ‘arm wrestles‘ and taking the competition points beats losing any day of the week.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I wouldn't trade 6 Sandwiches for a Horhay. I don't have a problem with Garricks finishing, it's his work on kick return and hit ups coming out of our end that is the weakness in his game. You rarely see him make a line break, or even dent the line. He's an adequate winger, just not very dynamic.

The problem is that right now with Tom out, Reubs is arguably the fastest guy we have out there, we're just not putting him into any space to run nor are we kicking the ball his way like we saw many times last year which saw him score.

He's not shirking the work though and is very willing in taking early hit ups while the forwards are lumbering back onside.

You know another player who got ragdolled when running into the defence, especially in his early years? Snake. Not that I'm saying he's as good as or will be as good as Snake was, I'm just pointing out that even Brett Stewart got ragdolled by the defence at times too. Edit: and at least when Reubs gets tackled we don't cringe so much like we did with Snake post 2009. Whenever he'd get tackled we'd pray like hell that he didn't get up limping.

Last edited:

rifraff

Bencher
He's not shirking the work though and is very willing in taking early hit ups while the forwards are lumbering back onside.

I don't think anyone can doubt his effort. Des must really like him as well to play him at fullback. It is the effectiveness though, against a set line he goes backwards more than anyone else I have ever seen. If he has a long career with us I will be surprised.

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I am so over guys saying we should by this or that because what we have is ****e

I have a rude shock for the guys doing it...we spend the money we have! Got it?

Garrick is a very good 200k winger, Horhay is a great Manly winger who puts his heart in it EVERY game that costs @ 250k minus his long service discount. Probably 200k net and is our leading tryscorer.

If anyone wants to bandy on about spending money on buying him and him then start a TPA first FFS. Nonsensical drivel that just goes on and on.
Thanks on the above, I did not mention about buying anyone.

I don’t rate Garrick This season.

That’s not to say in the squad of 30 we have we don’t have anyone else, I would give Funa more of chance there on the right wing.

It is a matter of personal opinion and judgment, others may see Garrick as a good player. I don’t full stop for me.

Thanks on the above, I did not mention about buying anyone.

I don’t rate Garrick This season.

That’s not to say in the squad of 30 we have we don’t have anyone else, I would give Funa more of chance there on the right wing.

It is a matter of personal opinion and judgment, others may see Garrick as a good player. I don’t full stop for me.
Didn't mean to single you out buddy, it just happened that way, sorry.

I'm good with Funa having a crack at his wing spot but by doing so DCE get's lumped with the kicking duties and he needs to be free to do what he does best. We are looking for someone to take pressure OFF him, not add more. Rob Peter to pay Paul I guess, but Paul wasn't our top tryscorer last year. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water because our game management and ball distribution is our main problem.
Cheers.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I don't think anyone can doubt his effort. Des must really like him as well to play him at fullback. It is the effectiveness though, against a set line he goes backwards more than anyone else I have ever seen. If he has a long career with us I will be surprised.

In that sense, does Reubs running into the defensive line make him any different to say ... Stuart Davis and David Ronson? They got ragdolled a lot, and IIRC both won a premiership on the wings with Manly.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Thing is- not everyone can eat at the fancy restaurant like Roosters when it comes to salary cap
Personally always wanted Cotric style wingers but he is double the salary and then we lose AFB or Kapow....so no can do.
Thing is....truly believe with side we have atm, its all no frills- up the guts- direct footy....which promotes limited opportunity for the wingers to only be involved hitting the ball out of ugly field position, which will highlight any deficiencies....once Tom T and Walks are back, their speed will open up space out wide and our wingers will start scoring tries and suddenly look more dangerous and better in general
Still have no issue with the call, as Garrick has at times looked a bit suspect in 2020 as its not a bag on him, just how it is....and any opposition coach will target both our wingers for different reasons - that's footy

In that sense, does Reubs running into the defensive line make him any different to say ... Stuart Davis and David Ronson? They got ragdolled a lot, and IIRC both won a premiership on the wings with Manly.
The Bug was getting smashed back in the juniors for the Kingfishers but he still scored 2 or 3 tries a game. His worth was undoubted all through his career, as should our current low-cost/high-value FG wingers today be.
It's a matter of perspective...do we want low cost forwards, FB and halves who don't win us field position?

We are not, and cannot be a a big money squad. We need to maximise our money and do it the hard way. No choice.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 5 6 47 12