• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Its not bigotry at all Dan. I have a few gay friends and hang out in bars with them, bars that are predominently frequented by gay males, but anyone can go there.

Everyone knows these bars, and the people who dont want to go there dont. Its that simple.

These guys are taking it all too preciously.

In all fairness it does sound like they must have had some major problems for quite a while so start thinking about making it a gay bar only.

Lots of money in gays - double income no kids.

I've always wanted to try and join one of those "women only" gyms. I figure you can't lose.

If they refuse you can whinge about it and sue them. And if they don't ........

I've always wanted to try and join one of those \"women only\" gyms. I figure you can't lose.

If they refuse you can whinge about it and sue them. And if they don't ........

You can not in fat sue them, they have an exemption by law.

Nothing you can do. I dont see the point in getting upset with it.

So if I establish a gentleman's club will I have the same exemption? I would like to have a club that can't be invaded by feminine chatter.

The initial question I raised was, if the clubs were to in turn ban homosexuals what sort of reaction do we think that would bring?

IMO, you'd get a massive dose of double standards and a rainbow war on the streets because of discrimination.

Who would have thought the day would come where you are banned from a pub because you have sex with women.

Fair Dinkum.

Dan's point is that homosexuals are generally victims of discrimination themselves and it is therefore acceptable for them to have a secure place where they are not harassed by homophobic idiots.

Its a fair point too. But there are already places for them to go.

The Beat in Brisbane rings a bell. You wouldn't go anywhere near that place unless you want to cop a feel.

I'm sure Brisbane isn't the only one to have these places either.

So if I establish a gentleman's club will I have the same exemption? I would like to have a club that can't be invaded by feminine chatter.

Absolutely, Mata, and you would not be breaking too much ground, either. There are a few in Sydney and at least one in Newcastle that I can think of. You could even say that the Freemasons are a gentleman's club in some regards, too...

Its a fair point too. But there are already places for them to go.

The Beat in Brisbane rings a bell. You wouldn't go anywhere near that place unless you want to cop a feel.

I'm sure Brisbane isn't the only one to have these places either.

The beat has two levels.

Downstairs is gay (i think) and upstairs is straight.

Although it could be the other way around. One of my mates picked up a chick at the beat.

If your not talking about the cricket ground then it's a top name for a gay club.

come into the "Lord's members pavillion" :|

Narc hit on a point I alluded to earlier, that there are already Male only and gentlemen's clubs.

fLIP the problem with your argument is that it is pure speculation. If you justified it the same way as this club has there would be some grounding.

However the problem is that heterosexuals are not a minority and are not harassed for being heterosexuals.

I really can not understand getting up in arms and saying "But sir....if we did that" the question is why would you do that, is there any reason for you to?

I can completely understand them wanting this and 100% support the decision

Oh and if anyone can answer for me why Doug thought saying "Live and let Live" indicated drug use that would be great too!

This is quite unique. All discrimination legislation in Australia is in effect handled at the State level. (Their is also the federal Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986 which provides a procedure by which the Human Rights Commissioner may attempt to conciliate complaints of sexual preference discrimination in the paid workforce).

Most Acts in other States are called Anti-Discrimination Acts. In Victoria they have the Equal Opportunity Act 1995.

The wierd part is that the Victorian legislation has this section:
Discrimination against club members

60. Discrimination against club members
A club, or a member of the committee of management or other governing body of a club, must not discriminate against a member of the club-
(a) by refusing, or failing to accept, the member's application for a
different category or type of membership;
(b) by denying or limiting access to any benefit provided by the club;
(c) by varying the terms of membership;
(d) by depriving the member of membership;
(e) by subjecting the member to any other detriment.

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal is an amalgamation of 15 bodies and is responsible for
# purchase and supply of goods
# credit
# discrimination
# domestic building works
# guardianship and administration
# legal profession services
# residential tenancies
# retail tenancies

Under discrimination, VCAT may make any of the following orders if a complaint has been proved:
* That the respondent stop committing any further act of discrimination against the complainant;
* That the respondent pay the complainant compensation fixed by VCAT;
* That the respondent perform any act with a view to making good any loss, damage or injury suffered by the complainant;
* Find the complaint or any part of it proven but decline to take any further action;

To me they seem to have overstepped their authority. I will say that the Peel, acting as a club, rather than a public house, probably is entitled to a greater say in the makeup of club members. However it seems to operate as a public house, in that anyone can enter, and I cannot see where the current discrimination legislation would allow this decision.

Oh and if anyone can answer for me why Doug thought saying \"Live and let Live\" indicated drug use that would be great too!

You said LET and let live dickhead, which makes absolutely no sense at all. Do you get it or do you need another pill?

The point MB is that they were GRANTED AN EXEMPTION not overstepping they were granted a deliberate exemption from this particular law.

I am shocked at the reaction, I thought most people here were free thinkers but it appears there is an undercurrent of bigotry.

I am not a bigot and never said I was against the decision. I just find it hard to come to grips with when there have been non-stop efforts over 40 years to REMOVE discrimination and now this seems to promote it. That doesn't mean they don't have my support in having a safe environment and whatever would be appropriate to ensure that that happens.

What I want to know is how do they tell if you are gay or not? Generally you can pick homosexuals but you cant with all. Upon entry do you need to give the gay bouncer a blow job to prove yourself.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4