Giving away penalties not worth the risk

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

max

Yes I'm a novice at League ( well for many years - I live in Melbourne !! or South Queensland league wise) however - in my observation it's just not worth it to even be CLOSE to giving away penalties when you have the opposition on the ropes when they are coming from the line. Let me say that the effort in being in their face holding down in the tackle slowing the play down - what, for 2-3 seconds of getting back and setting the defense? - the downside is HUGE where a penalty ( most are dubious 50/50 anyway ) can get that team out of trouble then back on attack from the halfway or more.

What we should do is be seen by the ref is being totally onside totally rolling of the tackle - even if it costs us 10-15 meters in the set. That was the only way Penrith even survived last week was the 'getting out of trouble' Penalty. I know refs will blow for any 50/50 call especially against Manly . So don't give then chance at all. Teams think that when you have a team on the ropes that you go in hard - looks good and all however how may times does the ref blow a penalty - totally changing the game. Don't give them the excuse. The loss is too great.

Having said that, Melbourne seem to play the close to the wind defense with elbows wrestling which never seems to get pulled up but well we don't have a ref as a Hooker do we ?

Giving them away on your own line so that you can get set again is a trend that has been introduced fairly recently.
I think it's hit and miss.
You really have to be confident in your D.
Personally I hate it when they blow whistle against us.
Less is best.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8