Greatest Ever Manly Team 2006

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
bob dylan said:
When Brett scores 2000 points for Manly he can have Wombats jersey.

Eadie was a goal kicker, Brett isn't. Not a fair comparison.

Therefore not as skillful. No kicking game at all.

Eadie played over 230 games, Bretts 130 dont cut it for me, see me in 70 games time and I might consider him.

Same goes for Glenn compare to Vautin.

These places shouldnt be handed out on a whim, they need to be earned.

bob dylan said:
bones said:
bob dylan said:

Eadie played over 230 games, Bretts 130 dont cut it for me, see me in 70 games time and I might consider him.

Agreed - 6 grand finals for the wombat, winning 4. Then a premiership in England when he came back from (premature) retirement

Yes. It's very easy to forget how good the players of the past were. Vautin was a tackling machine and Eadie was a powerhouse.

Ray Branaghan probably played his best when at Souths, and I think Lyon has him covered - plus Lyon is a goal kicker and captain.

bob dylan said:
bones said:
bob dylan said:

One could argue Eadie didn't score 100 tries in many more games so therefor he is not as skilful as Brett. I only saw the very end of Eadie's career so I'm not saying Brett should be in ahead of him. I just think using the goal kicking comparison is unfair.
Also, Ben Kennedy made the team after just two years service to the club.

The Who said:
Yes. It's very easy to forget how good the players of the past were. Vautin was a tackling machine and Eadie was a powerhouse.

Ray Branaghan probably played his best when at Souths, and I think Lyon has him covered - plus Lyon is a goal kicker and captain.

Yep I would add Jamie and drop Ray. I preferred the faster more exciting Simon Booth to him in the late 70s btw. But I was a kid.

To be honest as great as Brett is he is still No 3 on my list of Manly fullbacks.

1. Eadie
2. Batty first player to play 200 games for us and over 1000 points.

Longevity is what sells it for me when players have similar ability. Imagine if the put Brett or Glenn in and they went on to play 100 games for The Storm (refrained from using Dogs as example) or similar.

bones said:
One could argue Eadie didn't score 100 tries in many more games so therefor he is not as skilful as Brett. I only saw the very end of Eadie's career so I'm not saying Brett should be in ahead of him. I just think using the goal kicking comparison is unfair.

Yeah I get your point but goal kicking is to me what makes Andrew Johns a better player than Wally Lewis and Peter Sterling.

I cant separate them otherwise, its a skill they just did not possess.

Gee I find it hard to compare one era against another.

I was blessed to see Wombat play for much of his career, now even more blessed that we converse all the time after meeting a few years ago, he and Terry Randall were my hero's from those days.

He was a super player, one in a million, but in saying that Brett is also a super player...in a different era.

It's like people trying to compare Black Caviar with Phar Lap, and in a football sense different era's, different training, different games.

I'd agree with Bob, it's really about longevity, doing it at the top level for years and years.

Foran may well make a future "best of" team, as may others mentioned.

From memory I would keep Branaghan. My memory however lets me down a bit so I would like to see some old games get a sense of how good he was. Vautin isnt even worth a mention when Phil Lowe or Crusher didn't get a jumper. I reckon DCE could potentially turn out a better half than Toovey or Hasler. We have had a lot of good halves - good as he was Im not sure Toovey was the best.

Eadie was a star for Australia as well as Manly and has got to be the best fullback. He seemed to make breaks and bump off players at will, he was big and strong and fast and was a great defender. Possibly the best of all time?

bob dylan said:
To be honest as great as Brett is he is still No 3 on my list of Manly fullbacks.

1. Eadie

Longevity is what sells it for me when players have similar ability. Imagine if the put Brett or Glenn in and they went on to play 100 games for The Storm (refrained from using Dogs as example) or similar.

bones said:

Yeah I get your point but goal kicking is to me what makes Andrew Johns a better player than Wally Lewis and Peter Sterling.

Fair enough .... but try scoring ability is what makes Brett a better player than Matthew Ridge (one of the best ever goal kickers).

Don't dismiss Vautin. There were years when he was the heart and soul of the team. He'd make the bulk of the tackles and was fast like Watmough.
Phil Lowe and Crusher were high impact players. Very good attackers but left much of the tackling to others. In Lowe's case, Randall did it.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Gee I find it hard to compare one era against another.

I was blessed to see Wombat play for much of his career, now even more blessed that we converse all the time after meeting a few years ago, he and Terry Randall were my hero's from those days.

He was a super player, one in a million, but in saying that Brett is also a super player...in a different era.

It's like people trying to compare Black Caviar with Phar Lap, and in a football sense different era's, different training, different games.

I'd agree with Bob, it's really about longevity, doing it at the top level for years and years.

Foran may well make a future "best of" team, as may others mentioned.

Whoever's comparing Black Caviar with Phar Lap's on the gas. Black Caviar's a sprinter and would destroy Phar Lap in a sprint. Vice versa in a longer distance race.

How can anyone have DCE or Foran near a best ever Manly team after 1 to 3 years of their career!?

bones said:
Melbourne Eagle said:
bones said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Can we please have an edit to the original post, the term "flags" is 1 I hate LOL

Look at who posted it. A 'rugby' fan from vIctoria. Welcome btw Melbourne Eagle.

Yes a very Victorian, or AFL term there. Must remember which code I am posting about:cool:

Can't stand Rugby, but do love my league. Well Manly to be exact:D

Lol. Most people down there refer to the NRL as Rugby. Glad you're not one of them. Glad you picked the right team too :)

Btw ... What's your opinion of the Melbourne Storm?

Can't stand them. League season basically finished down here when they got knocked out.

People down here ask me why I don't follow the storm. Followed Manly since the early '80s, couldn't change even if I wanted to.

Lyon is a must from the current squad he is simply a genius much in the Bozo mould. Gifty is the other potential but he still has to get to 200 playing like he is now to get in. Wombat wont be unseated unless Snake carves out 250 games and becomes all time top try scorer. If DCE's career ends up like Sterling or Johns then he would unseat Tooves.

bob dylan said:

1. Eadie

bones said:

So Lockyer is the best player ever by this standard,being mediocre and playing many more games,Hindmarsh will be soon to follow by this logic,i dont understand

Flawed logic is flawed,did Eadie ever do a flick pass?

mickqld said:
Lyon is a must from the current squad he is simply a genius much in the Bozo mould. Gifty is the other potential but he still has to get to 200 playing like he is now to get in. Wombat wont be unseated unless Snake carves out 250 games and becomes all time top try scorer. If DCE's career ends up like Sterling or Johns then he would unseat Tooves.

Agreed. Lyon has a better all round game than O'Connor had. Wombat was rock solid and bumped the first defender off EVERY time when running the ball back. Correct me if I'm wrong but O'Connor seems to have nothing at all to do with rugby league or Manly these days. I seem to remember him being a reluctant convert to league and Manly(from saints). Not that this matters too much in terms of ability, just curious.
Not suggesting that he should have made the team but John Gibbs was the player that got me to my feet when I was a kid.

Melbourne Eagle said:
bones said:
Melbourne Eagle said:
bones said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Can we please have an edit to the original post, the term "flags" is 1 I hate LOL

Look at who posted it. A 'rugby' fan from vIctoria. Welcome btw Melbourne Eagle.

Yes a very Victorian, or AFL term there. Must remember which code I am posting about:cool:

Lol. Most people down there refer to the NRL as Rugby. Glad you're not one of them. Glad you picked the right team too :)

Can't stand them. League season basically finished down here when they got knocked out.

People down here ask me why I don't follow the storm. Followed Manly since the early '80s, couldn't change even if I wanted to.

It's ok people... It's not lotti... Phew!

bones said:
Melbourne Eagle said:
bones said:
Melbourne Eagle said:
bones said:

It's ok people... It's not lotti... Phew!

Yeah I remember her...those were the days!!

north coast eagle said:
Eadie was a star for Australia as well as Manly and has got to be the best fullback. He seemed to make breaks and bump off players at will, he was big and strong and fast and was a great defender. Possibly the best of all time?

Yes, I remember watching him at Brookie and he would have about 3 or 4 blokes hanging off of him and his big legs would keep pounding on for another 10 yards before they would manage to bring him down. I also remember one day at Brookie, he had this kicking duel against Parra from the kick off. The ball went back and forth to each full back 4 or 5 times before one of them decided to run it up.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6