Greg Mackey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
Greg Mackey is dying. Cancer is eating away at the former Souths, Illawarra and Bulldogs star and he knows his days are numbered. But he has one last mission on this earth.
"It's going to get me, I am resigned to that," says the brave 52 year old.
"But the last thing I want to do is tell my old team-mates and the guys I played against to get themselves checked. Men tend to ignore that kind of thing......I did."
"By the time I did go to my doctor, it was too late. But I'm not dead yet and if I can get the message out to guys of my generation, I feel I will have achieved something before I go."
Mackey was a competitive, cheeky halfback who played 149 first grade games for Souths, Illawarra and the Bulldogs between 1980-89 before moving to England, where he enjoyed near-superstar status.
While his plight has gone largely unnoticed in his homeland, English club Warrington recently held a fundraiser to help their former skipper pay his medical bills.
"I can't tell you how humbled I am that they remember me and put their hands in their pockets for me more than 20 years after I left the place," he said. " I had some great times there and it's nice to know I haven't been forgotten".
"I played a club record for most consecutive games (98) and the fans thought I was bulletproof. Sadly, we now have proof I'm not."
Mackey played 123 games in two stints for Warrington (1989 and 1992-86) and led them to a famous Lancashire Cup final triumph. He also skippered Hull to a premiership win in 1990-91, winning the Harry Sunderland Medal as man of the match.
Friends are rallying around Mackey in his time of need.
Veteran coach Brian Smith has fond memories of the red-haired half, who played under him at Souths, Illawarra and Hull. "He was a great player to coach - so enthusiastic," Smith says. "He was a player who got the best out of himself."
Mackey will join former Illawarra team-mates at a Steelers reunion on August 8 - if his health allows it. He is also spending remaining time with family, including twin grandkids.
"I have my had days, but I can't afford to be too negative," he says.
"I still play the odd round of golf when I have the strength but I'm about to undergo another round of chemotherapy, which really knocks you around. It can't save me, but it might give me a few more months."
"I am determined to enjoy what time I have left."

Tony Adams
RLW July 25, 2014.

I remember Greg, and once again the spectre of cancer casts it's ugly shadow.

I hope Greg can keep it at bay for a long, long time.

My mate, Kevvie, defied the odds (and the docs!) hanging on with a gritty smile and wicked humour for 18 months longer than they gave him.

All the very best to Greg and his family in a terribly difficult time.

Once again the League community shows it's class and compassion. Great to see the support and love for a bloke (even though from afar in the UK).

And thanks @bones for this post.

Terrible story but I was struggling to remember him. I caught the news briefly on the radio this afternoon and I thought they said Graham Mackay who had one year with us but his best days were probably at Penrith. But after reading that story and the mention of the red hair is clicked.

I hope he enjoys his remaining days and the end is a painless and peaceful one.

RIP Greg Mackey

FORMER Souths, Illawarra, Canterbury, Warrington and Hull FC halfback Greg Mackey has lost his brave battle with cancer, dying today aged 52.

Mackey was a talented and extremely popular halfback who began his career at Souths before playing over 100 games for the old Illawarra Steelers.

But it was in England where he rose to fame, becoming a legendary figure at both Warrington and Hull.

Mackey captained Hull to the premiership in 1990-91, and was named man of the match in the club’s famous win over Warrington in the final at Old Trafford.

Mackey was diagnosed with cancer over a year ago and fought a brave fight against the disease.

In England, Warrington has been holding fundraising events to help their former hero play his medical bills.

Mackey spent his final days with his family on the NSW south coast.

- TONY ADAMS

Bloody hell.

RIP Greg. (Plenty of good Rugby League men to have a beer with "up there" ).

Too many people via Cancer, full-stop.

My mate Kev was only 56 too (and it's devastated his family and friends; though we were "pleased" he was finally free of pain).

Condolences to Greg's family and friends.

#Fu@kCancer!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8