Gus Gould v Todd Greenberg

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

madmax

Bencher
Sporting News has an article on Gus Gould sticking it right up Greenberg.....saying he's a farce lol. As much as Gould rubs people up the wrong on occasion his knowledge of the game is far superior to anyone else in Rugby League. He says it as it is & as far as I'm concerned he knows what he's talking about! The NRL could do with someone like him as NRL CEO. He'd go along way to fixing this bloody mess Greenberg has created. Article below......

"Penrith Panthers general manager Phil Gould has taken aim at NRL boss Todd Greenberg in a brutal rant that revolved around the refereeing in the NRL.
Every week in rugby league, there are members of the community who take issue with the refs for one reason or another.
In round 11, every single NRL fixture had at least one player sent to the sin-bin, and in the fiery Manly Sea Eagles - Melbourne Storm fixture at AAMI Park, four players were sent to the naughty corner and Curtis Scott was sent off for good.
In the same game, two Manly players were allowed to come back from their 10 minutes early, much to the bewilderment of NRL pundits.
There was also the constant act of players trying to milk penalties which has been brought to a head this week, an example can be provided below.
Gus had obviously had enough, and blew his lid.
"Every game is very hard to watch, in fact, I've been considering a change of the name of this show. Rather than 100% Footy, it's now 40 percent footy and 60 percent refereeing," Gould said on 100% Footy.
"What I watch when I watch rugby league now is a refereeing show.
"We got 15,000 people out at Panthers Stadium last Thursday. A cold Thursday in Western Sydney for a derby between the Wests Tigers and Panthers, and the bloke in yellow comes out and hijacks the game because he thinks it's his personal stadium.
"It's going right across the board, this whole thing has become a farce, an absolute farce in our game.
"I'll tell you what I'm worried about with State of Origin, I'm worried about two things.
"If they penalise everything in State of Origin, they're just going to destroy the game.
"If it's going to be a low penalty count in Origin, that's going to suit Queensland enormously because everyone's been working on high penalty counts, and some of the young players today can't work out how to play football if the ball's in play for 15 minutes.
"They put out some ridiculous stat this week that tries inside the opposition 20 have gone up seven percent. That's because we're spending 90 percent more time inside the opposition 20 because they drag you up the field with a couple of penalties and they keep you down there with five or six penalties until you get something.
"The refereeing is a farce, Todd Greenberg is a farce. It's destroying the game.
"Our game is going exactly the same way rugby went. Rugby is now nondescript in Australia, no one can watch it, no one supports it.
"I'm telling you, that's what they're doing with the NRL. The people in charge, haven't got a clue about what they're doing.
"We've got the boss of a game changing a rule mid-season because there's been a social media campaign."

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
Would like to hear how Gus would fix the game. No way it should go back to the way it was in recent years. It appears that Greenberg is trying to clean it up somewhat but there is still a long way to go to get it back to the way it once was. But unfortunately what Greenberg is doing just isn't working.

madmax

Bencher
Would like to hear how Gus would fix the game. No way it should go back to the way it was in recent years. It appears that Greenberg is trying to clean it up somewhat but there is still a long way to go to get it back to the way it once was. But unfortunately what Greenberg is doing just isn't working.
Pretty sure he'd do a better job than Greenberg...............you say it shouldn't go back to the way it was in recent years then you say there's a long way to go to get it back to how it once was?? I'd rather the previous years than the ****e we have to put up with now Rodo.

MuzztheEagle

Bencher
For me, the NRL is stuck trying to keep everyone happy by simply band aiding problems when they arise; slowing the play the ball down - penalty, milking to get a penalty - penalty, concussion risk - more penalties and we will make sure everyone is OK after it happens, more players injured through new concussion rules and wrestling tackles - have an additional player/substitution allowance, can't attract players to your club inside the salary cap - have you thought about TPA's, but that's not fair - OK, we will have another investigation, game to boring - but we have super slow motion replays of wingers scoring these amazing tries.
It's a never ending cycle that is both complicating and destroying the game. Hard decisions need to be made about what the game should look like and in today's world it's hard to imagine anyone having the courage to make the changes required to fix some of the core problems with today's game.
I'm starting to wonder if we will start to see a breakaway comp start to form in the next couple of years, sadly it may be the only way to get back to something that resembles the game we remember and love.

MuzztheEagle

Bencher
Pretty sure he'd do a better job than Greenberg...............you say it shouldn't go back to the way it was in recent years then you say there's a long way to go to get it back to how it once was?? I'd rather the previous years than the ****e we have to put up with now Rodo.

The game can never go back to the way it was, the culture of professional sport in Australia has changed to much and through it the players and media coverage as well. But I do think we need to look at the games past to see what the future of the game should look like.
That being said I don't think anyone who currently works in the media should have any control over the future of the game, they have already had to much input into where we are now, Gus included. Remember its the constant scrutiny of decisions by commentators that has led us to the knee jerk crack downs imposed by the NRL and I would wager that not one of these "look at me..look at me!!" clowns would have the courage to make decisions that 10% or more of their fans would disagree with.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
You can guarantee that Gus is pushing a personal agenda.

He is just as likely been one of the people whinging about the wrestle and the lack of policing of ruck rules. Now that the refs are taking steps to address it, he decides he'll whinge about the amount of penalties it is causing.

I fully support the drive to enforce the rules. Get teams on side. Get players getting to their feet to play the ball. Tidy up the play the balls and that by nature slows down the ruck a little and negates the wrestle. Get teams back 10m and that gives attacks a little more time and space. Coaches can quite easily stop the penalties by coaching their sides to play the rules. This has become a Mexican standoff between the refs and the coaches - let's see who blinks first. Gould is using his media profile to put pressure on Greenburg and the refs. As much as I hate Greenburg I support his push to tidy up the game and start enforcing these rules.

The Who

Journey Man
There was so much right with rugby league in the past that has been changed for the worse. You may claim the game can never "go back because it is now professional" but I believe certain aspects should revert to the past. The one overriding aspect is 'tribalism'. This means improving all the local ovals to a standard where they can comfortably hold 20,000, thus creating atmosphere and a demand to actually attend the matches.
Simplify the game and the fans will return.
Did you know that marketers have realised that there is a demand for simplicity? Selling well is a mobile phone that does nothing more than receive and allow telephone calls? Not everything needs to be complicated.

MuzztheEagle

Bencher
There was so much right with rugby league in the past that has been changed for the worse. You may claim the game can never "go back because it is now professional" but I believe certain aspects should revert to the past. The one overriding aspect is 'tribalism'. This means improving all the local ovals to a standard where they can comfortably hold 20,000, thus creating atmosphere and a demand to actually attend the matches.
Simplify the game and the fans will return.
Did you know that marketers have realised that there is a demand for simplicity? Selling well is a mobile phone that does nothing more than receive and allow telephone calls? Not everything needs to be complicated.
I agree 100%, when I was referring to professionalism I meant more the level of training and caliber of player and coaching staff that now exist in in the sport. At an elite level the game would not be that same with the same rules that existed when it was played by semi professionals and players and coaches have since found ways around the rules that existed in the past. The big issue now is that we are over analyzing rules or worse adding more rules to the game. As @The Who said, simplification will go a long way to fixing the game and (@globaleagle) when it's clear that a penalty is a penalty (and every time) then no-one will complain. In the past major changes would be made to fix issues with the game caused by it's evolution but I fear with the current climate this simply won't happen.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
The comparisons with union are a hundred per cent correct. The game is becoming so over-officiated it's hard to watch.
There is a reason rugby league split from rugby union all those years ago, and there are many reasons why it became the dominant sport in Queensland and New South Wales. Making the game more like union is a recipe for disaster.

tookey

First Grader
Gould is always bagging the NRL yet he has no interest in taking Greenturd's job so eh can fix everything up

He is right though that the NRL is going down the path of union and will soon be as irrelevant as rugby is now if they don't improve

BrendonStarr

Reserve Grader
Manly has been penalised numerous times this year for offside when we have had the opposition pegged back in their own 20 due to our great defence. We weren't even offside, yet the idiot refs penalise us for our dominance and reward the team getting manhandled with great field position for the next set. These are the penalties that make my blood boil. Also the dirty tactics of teams (particularly Melbourne) trapping the ball in the scrum for an extra 5 seconds to induce a penalty for the opposition breaking too early? Why should the opposition be penalised if the attacking team takes an age to get the ball out of the scrum?

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
Cant stand some of the dribble that comes out his self obsessed mouth ,but have been saying for about 8 years that he is the one man I think could and should run the NRL.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The game is being destroyed by mismanagement. Greenburg's focus on playing football in big empty stadiums and slowing it down to american gridion pace is choking the life out of our game. I have been ranting on for ages how Greenburg and the NRL have lost touch with the fabric of our game which is based on tribalism, being close to the action and a seeing a real contest that is determined by the teams and not by the referee's whistle. Things have come to a head and it's time that Greenburg was sacked!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14