Gutherson keen to be Stewart's successor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Clinton Gutherson has his eye on the maroon and white No.1 jumper Brett Stewart has called his own for the past decade at Manly, but for now he is happy to be learning at the feet of his childhood hero.

The born and bred Northern Beaches product will have to be content with a green and gold variation for the time being as he lines up for his second year at fullback with the Junior Kangaroos.

Read More

Clinton Gutherson has his eye on the maroon and white No.1 jumper Brett Stewart has called his own for the past decade at Manly, but for now he is happy to be learning at the feet of his childhood hero.

Clinton+Gutherson+NRL+Rd+17+Bulldogs+v+Sea+vAsClxK3slLl1.jpg
The born and bred Northern Beaches product will have to be content with a green and gold variation for the time being as he lines up for his second year at fullback with the Junior Kangaroos.

Heading into camp ahead of their clash with the Kiwis next Saturday in Auckland, Gutherson said he can't see himself anywhere but Manly when he comes off-contract at the end of 2015, and aspires to assume Stewart's title as Prince of Brookvale when he either retires or takes his services elsewhere.

"I'd like to take his spot one day, I would," Gutherson told NRL.com.

"I grew up in the area and looked up to him as a kid. So hopefully after Snake's hung up the boots in the next two or three years or whenever I'd like to make that spot my own.

"A few of the coaching have said that, keep working on your game and you can get there one day. For now though, I've just got to bide my time, learn as much as possible and work my way into the team."

Whether Stewart remains on the peninsula for much longer remains to be seen, with the former Origin and Test star requesting a release earlier in the year and rumours of a too good to be true offer from the Raiders on the table.

For Gutherson, who was reluctant to comment on what Stewart's departure would mean for the club, this means he is pumping one of the most natural custodians in the game for pointers at every chance he gets.

"Snake [Stewart] is massive for me," Gutherson said.

"He's one of the best in the game still, has been for so many years and I'm just looking to learn as much as possible from him while he's still playing the game.

"There's no one better to learn from, he's a freak and I don't know how he does most of the things he does to be honest, it's humbling to be learning from him.

"We work on positional play a lot, just where to be and what holes and lines to run. And my whole game as well, he's a massive help doing extras with me when he doesn’t need to."

Following the same hymn sheet as most of Geoff Toovey's choir at the Sea Eagles, Gutherson denied the endless innuendo of rifts amongst senior players and contract dramas took their toll on the club as they bombed out of the finals in straight sets despite being the benchmark team for much of the year.

But with the deals tying halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran to Manly expiring at the end of 2015, and plenty of clubs willing to pay over and beyond to get their hands on one of the best playmakers in the game, Gutherson said he'd like to see the pair stay in the maroon and white.

"I'd love to keep playing alongside them and play my career there with them," he said.

"They're two of the best halves in the game and they're still going to get better. But we've just got to see what happens and leave it up to the managers and the club. It's our job to focus on footy; it's their job to handle all that other stuff."

More pressing on the 20-year-old's agenda is seeing his name on Toovey's team sheet most Tuesdays in 2015. He's got stiff competition given Stewart's mortgage on the Manly backfield and Kiwi rep Peta Hiku and City Origin winger Jorge Taufua occupying the flanks, but having been around the first-grade squad for the past two years Gutherson is ready to make the leap from promising fringe first grader to regular starter.

"Last year I didn't expect to get a run at all, I was just working away with the 20s but I was grateful just to get the opportunity," Gutherson said.

"This year I was hoping to get a bit more of a run, a few more games, and next one I'd like to get some more games again and maybe get a starting spot.

"It's good, they're always teaching me something new every day. Even though you are competing for the same spots, it's important everyone work with each other and pushes each other. I'll be looking to have a good pre-season and hopefully get a spot in the side somewhere."
By Dan Walsh
NRL.com

http://www.nrl.com/gutherson-keen-to-be-stewarts-successor/tabid/10874/newsid/82470/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I was glad to read there was that he wants to remain at Manly beyond his current contract.

That's refreshing after months of reading that players want out or that we'll lose others at the end of (or before the end of) their current contracts.

Good to see he is willing to stick around and serve kinda of an apprenticeship, although I do think he has to be playing first grade if he we want to hold him beyond his current deal.

The kid is going to be a star. He could be getting his chance earlier than expected in the No 1. Which may not be such a bad thing.

Guthbo certainly looks to be comfortable in the top grade. With Turbo junior coming through and Hiku, it is a tough ask to get the number 1 jersey when Brett hangs up the boots

Fluffy said:
Guthbo certainly looks to be comfortable in the top grade. With Turbo junior coming through and Hiku, it is a tough ask to get the number 1 jersey when Brett hangs up the boots

Hiku is not a fullback contender and if he gets that Jersey we will come back to the pack fast

Should be a centre

cherry_poppins said:
Fluffy said:

Hiku is not a fullback contender and if he gets that Jersey we will come back to the pack fast

Should be a centre

Fullback is where Hiku is at best, he is a great fullback, he plays for his country at fullback. Hiku is not big enough or have the mongrel or defence as a centre, he is not fast enough as a winger and does not know positional defence there and I am sure in his contract to stay at Manly Fullback would have been written in, otherwise he would have gone back to NZ where they wanted him

Harry said:
cherry_poppins said:
Fluffy said:

Should be a centre

Fullback is where Hiku is at best, he is a great fullback, he plays for his country at fullback. Hiku is not big enough or have the mongrel or defence as a centre, he is not fast enough as a winger and does not know positional defence there and I am sure in his contract to stay at Manly Fullback would have been written in, otherwise he would have gone back to NZ where they wanted him

Too slow and too weak with poor pass timing compared to the greats

Can't tackle

Hopefully if he does pay fullback it's for another team

Hiku won't be playing fullback.
When Snake is injured/leaves/retires Gutherson will be FB.
Tooves showed his hand in Townsville when Snake was out playing Gutherson at FB ahead of Hiku.

Gutho is a keepr, good to read he wants to stay at the club.

I think he is snakes replacement in the future and could combine nicely with DCE and Foz.

PLus he is a decent goal kicker isnt he?

cherry_poppins said:
Harry said:

Too slow and too weak with poor pass timing compared to the greats

Can't tackle

Hopefully if he does pay fullback it's for another team

sounds like the young matai!

I think Hiku will most likely end up playing closer in. Gutho to fullback.

Hiku is big compared to last year and will get bigger. Someone said he might be gulavao reincarnated. Started at fullback, ended up a forward. Wouldn't surprise me.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4