Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Crazy how there was talk of players leaving, couldn't sign a recruitment manager, couldn't sign a head of football manager, couldn't recruit any decent players. We sign dez and all of a sudden everyone wants in! Crazy. So many ex manly players as well and the ex winning staff.

This is why Scott Penn needs to go. how many years of competitive football have we lost because of his ego?

Penn stated that Des will be signing-off on recruitment and retention. Crusher is our recruitment manager and he and Des have worked together for over 15 years. Yes, Des will be all but totally in control of our cap

To be fair, Des's cap management strategy was not allowed to play out at either club as he was removed mid plan.

To your first point, It's a worry if the Penns allow that, no big back ended contracts should be stipulated into his contract. Unless we've after one top line player.

To you second point about the dogs, the dog recruited Woods and Foran and others which they couldn't afford. He also had Greg Eastwood in reserve grade getting paid 850k in his back ended contract. Look at the mess they were in, they had to offload heaps of players. All thanks to the dog.

I wonder if we can blame Hasler for his contract strategies.

Remember he coached Manly for 8 years and was only out of the finals in the initial year. Back end contracts didn't seem to bite them during that period. Then Toovey took over and he kept them in the finals even getting them to a grand final for his first three years. Only in the fourth year did he miss out and that was 9th and that was a year comparable to this year with serious injuries. So for 11 years they were in the finals and back ended contracts didn't seem to bite them during that period.

Sure money was tight and some players were on big salaries at the end of their contracts but, they seemed to manage that situation for 11 years. But for injury Toovey would probably have got them into the finals for his last year. Certainly by the end they had some top drawer players on big money, but attrition seemed to address this in years past.

At Canterbury Hasler got them to two grand finals in six years and again only fell out of the finals once, and I think this was more to do with lack of creative players and reliance on a big forward pack that became predictable. Their defence was final's class, but they had no attack.

So I think I can understand Hasler's argument about how much back end contracts actually impacted on the teams he coached. He still ended with a 58% win ratio at the two clubs and Toovey also had a 58% win ratio. And these with clubs hampered by back end contracts? Could this issue be overstated?

To your first point, It's a worry if the Penns allow that, no big back ended contracts should be stipulated into his contract. Unless we've after one top line player

With almost ZERO TPA's available to us in comparison to the big money clubs, back-ending contracts is probably a necessary evil, to some extent. We NEED a way to level the playing field a bit.
I will never claim to understand how to fund a competitive roster in the modern game and frankly you probably don't either.

To you second point about the dogs, the dog recruited Woods and Foran and others which they couldn't afford. He also had Greg Eastwood in reserve grade getting paid 850k in his back ended contract. Look at the mess they were in, they had to offload heaps of players. All thanks to the dog.

In all fairness once again, Des' plan was not allowed to run it's course.

Also, the bulldogs failed to win a premiership so none of their players became targets to offload towards the end of their contracts.

I believe back-ending contracts relies on team success to make it sustainable..and very importantly, the plan running it's full course..

I have no problem with Des's methods, especially considering our very weak financial landscape.

Des and his back ended deals rely on a desperate club paying overs for our players.
Maybe something Des learnt from being traded to West's.

That had nothing to do with back ended deals and Des was made the fall guy. Ray Dib bet on the salary cap being increased further than it did so signed these players and than the cap didn't go up as much he thought and blamed Des and sacked him.
Mybe, Eastwood, Graham and Tolman were on big back ended deals when hasler was in charge. He did it to us once and he's done it to the dogs.

Agree, his methods are old school, his days are done a dusted!!

He’s NOT the answer for us and should NEVER be welcome in the door again after the **** he pulled!!

If he comes back I’ll become the new @strone33 , there’ll be a “ sack De$” thread the moment he is announced.

****ing wanker!!!!!

When will this new thread be started Mark?

When will this new thread be started Mark?
I think one has to accept the only constant as a Silvertailer is the fact that we staunchly follow the Sea Eagles and we should reserve the right to change our position on any topic based on the rigorous debate and eloquent discussion found in abundance on this forum.:)

Tooheys New will be fine when we catch up @Mark from Brisbane. ;)

Mate ... he is only a consequitive loss away from being stoned ......
I will be the first one to throw the boulder because no one tarnishes the proud Manly jumper with Pathetic and mediocre wooden spoon level performances .
Des wont disappoint though . I feel very confident he wont

Des won't be solely in charge of contracts, penn has already stated that all contracts are now signed of by a committee.

Back to the future with Des ........

***YOU DID NOT WAKE UP TODAY TO BE MEDIOCRE MOTHER FCKERS !!! ***

Love some of the historic posts on here about Des and his time at the dogs.
Barrett's failure really did set it up for his return didn't it. If we hadn't been through such a bad period I'm Not Sure how many would have accepted him back reading many of the early posts.
For me it's water under the bridge. He will always be the man who took thw mess that was the northern eagles and made us fly again.

Barrett's failure really did set it up for his return didn't it. If we hadn't been through such a bad period I'm Not Sure how many would have accepted him back reading many of the early posts.
For me it's water under the bridge. He will always be the man who took thw mess that was the northern eagles and made us fly again.
Great attitude @Eagle of London . No one moves forward by dwelling in the past . The past is a lesson for all . Lessons make improvements !

Even after Barrett said he was leaving, the stars had to align for us to get Des.

We could have still ended up with a turncoat like:
- Michael Maguire
- Ivan Cleary
- Neil Henry
- John Cartwright
- Another unproven rookie

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11