[Resurrected] Haslers first year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Back at the start of the Hasler years, there were players there that possibly had cult status amongst us and each year, a few were let go and I wondered why? We needed , kylie leulaui and jason ferris and albert torrens. I know they are not hiku and gutherson but similar scenarios. I have often said you can't get rid of Starling until there is somebody better. Sometimes you won't find that person until they are gone, giving more game time to AFB, Knight or even Meehan.
As we need to do, let's see what the off-season brings and what 2017 shapes up to be.

Some of these guys that came on board this year could only be here for their contract periods and not part of the next ten years at Manly. Use them up and spit them out when the next gun comes along.

We had a great core of talent that developed through the years from 05 onwards. Matai, Gift, Snake, Choc, Beaver, King, etc....!

And our recruits for 05, 06 and 07 were mostly amazing. Amongst them Kennedy, Kite, Orford and Killer were all extremely talented, had great attitudes, were natural leaders and were all round good blokes as well.

We did not recruit a great deal of has been journey men or reserve graders hoping they would become first graders.

Our recruitment and core talent was truly top notch. Our recruitment at present is not (although we do have some great core talent).

With the number of reggies players cut already this year, and probably more to follow, I would say we will be recruiting a fair few players and many of them will be untried at first grade.

I'm wondering why the comparison of Barrett is with Hasler and not Peter Sharp: First year 1999, 13th.
Could go either way. Just sayin.
Really good point and a breath of fresh air. Mainly because of the blind devotion to Hasler and the blind lack of devotion to an untested Barrett. Logic says we can't tell wether Barrett is the next Peter Sharp or Des Hasler well I can't tell anyway. Any predictions on Haslers next two years from any readers of this? My wild guess is no GF this year and if he is still coach next year a dismal mess and a sacking or resignation in round 10 . Stupid aren't I in making this prediction

Last edited:
Really good point and a breath of fresh air. Mainly because of the blind devotion to Hasler and the blind lack of devotion to an untested Barrett. Logic says we can't tell wether Barrett is the next Peter Sharp or Des Hasler well I can't tell anyway. Any predictions on Haslers next two years from any readers of this? My wild guess is no GF this year and if he is still coach next year a dismal mess and a sacking or resignation in round 10 . Stupid aren't I

If we are 1/8 in 2017 Barrett will be in deep Doo Doo.

It's acceptable for a year 1 rookie, as part of a 5 year plan to finish in the bottom 4, 2017 needs to be top 8 or pushing to that.

If we are 1/8 in 2017 Barrett will be in deep Doo Doo.

It's acceptable for a year 1 rookie, as part of a 5 year plan to finish in the bottom 4, 2017 needs to be top 8 or pushing to that.
I can see why coaches get the flick because if they fail for 2 or 3 years it breeds a lack of confidence in them. This is natural, Bennett and maybe Hasler will be given greater latitude for good reason but as we can see at the dogs , the noose begins to tighten

I can see why coaches get the flick because if they fail for 2 or 3 years it breeds a lack of confidence in them. This is natural, Bennett and maybe Hasler will be given greater latitude for good reason but as we can see at the dogs , the noose begins to tighten

Yep even the great De$ is under pressure!

Karma is a bitch. Love some of the comparisons early in this thread.
Hmmmm where were we after 3 years with Hasler again?

Manly has always had wingers and centres who scored a lot of tries. That is one of the big differences with this season.
Not only do our outside backs not score many tries they let in far too many with pitiful defence.

Last edited:
Only reason des was good cause he had the legends.It would be a big test if he came back these crop of players.That would show how good of a coach he is.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2