Hodkinson + 2011

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
I think we need to be looking on the Market for another fullback as well, just for cover if nothing else
From what I saw the other night Whare may have some potential to fill that void. He looks like he has great hands and positional nous, at least worth a thought if we keep Matai and Hodkinson.

Dan link said:
I think we need to be looking on the Market for another fullback as well, just for cover if nothing else

there are rumours that Brett may never be the same again as well, thats if he beats the court case

mcatt link said:
What about the extra $300,000 for next years cap increase? Surely our chances of retaining Hodkinson and Matai have increased with this news.

Manly to fight for Steve Matai, Trent Hodkinson

* Dean Ritchie
    * May 31, 2010

THEY are being offered big money elsewhere but Manly are poised to retain New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai and rising halfback Trent Hodkinson, The Daily Telegraph understands.

The Sea Eagles believe the NRL's impending $300,000 increase in the salary cap will allow them to re-sign both players.

Canterbury are ready to officially lodge a three-year deal worth about $270,000 a season for Hodkinson - remarkable money for a player who has played just 10 NRL games. The Bulldogs see Hodkinson as the long-term replacement for veteran Brett Kimmorley.

It is unclear whether Canterbury will retain Kimmorley if they secure Hodkinson, who represented City this year in the annual match against Country.

Hodkinson was tipped to leave Manly but one club source said: "We will keep both players once the extra money is allowed under the salary cap."

Sea Eagles chief executive Graham Lowe yesterday rejected talk his club would attempt to bring Matt Orford back to Brookvale. Orford left Manly last season for English club Bradford but is homesick and seeking a return to Australia.

Matai is also off-contract at the end of this season with his manager Gavin Orr saying the Kiwi star was likely to quit Brookvale.

But Lowe said the club would have to look carefully at whether it could afford Hodkinson. "I'd like to say with a degree of confidence we will keep him," Lowe said. "But realistically, we're not in a position to get into a bidding war with anyone.

"We will look at it as carefully as we can but he could be a victim of the salary cap."

Asked was he upset at possibly losing Hodkinson, Lowe said: "That is the way the game is at the moment."

Manly coach Des Hasler is a big Hodkinson fan and is fully focused on retaining the young halfback.

The Sea Eagles will have some room to move in their salary cap when Test prop Josh Perry joins St Helens, as is expected.

But Manly will keep New Zealand five-eighth Kieran Foran. He has agreed to terms but is yet to sign the contract. That is expected to be done sometime this week.

It would be tragic for Manly fans if the Foran-Hodkinson halves combination was ripped apart.

Manly officials see the pair as being their club's leaders for the next decade.

Manly centre Jamie Lyon will have scans today on an injured ankle. He could miss up to three matches including State of Origin II.

BE I have heard the same rumours about Brett stewart and realistically look at what has happened with players in the past who have had to have knee surgery more than once.

It ruined the careers of players like Kosef etc a real shame. I hope next year he comes back and is 100% but who knows, i think we need to start making some plans for the potential he wont be able to play for more than another year or 2 at the most.

a damn shame he is one of the finest fullbacks you will see

I think Manly will be able to bump up the offer to Hodkinson into the low $200k's if necessary and hopefully that is enough to keep him true to his public message of wanting to stay. This is over the odds for what he has achieved or even promised so far but there are just not that many really good half prospects that come along. As a duo I think these two offer so much more than the sum of any other possible individual half & 5/8 combos. It's such a solid core to build the future of the club around around.

I feel that the club will do what they have to get it over the line, including sacrificing Matai if necessary.

By the way, you crack me up SER8! :D

Dan link said:
BE I have heard the same rumours about Brett stewart and realistically look at what has happened with players in the past who have had to have knee surgery more than once.

It ruined the careers of players like Kosef etc a real shame. I hope next year he comes back and is 100% but who knows, i think we need to start making some plans for the potential he wont be able to play for more than another year or 2 at the most.

Did anybody take any notice of how Matty Bowen went against us on Saturday?  It will be interesting to see how he lasts after his recent ops for cartilage replacement to his knee (knees?).

Jethro link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=183450.msg264566#msg264566 date=1275258238]

Did anybody take any notice of how Matty Bowen went against us on Saturday?  It will be interesting to see how he lasts after his recent ops for cartilage replacement to his knee (knees?).
[/quote]

Bowen was back to his best and running freely. I thought a I read somewhere that Stewart was going to have the cartlidge replacement op aswell.

swoop link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=183450.msg264640#msg264640 date=1275274406]

[quote author=Dan link=topic=183450.msg264566#msg264566 date=1275258238]

[/quote]

Bowen was back to his best and running freely. I thought a I read somewhere that Stewart was going to have the cartlidge replacement op aswell.
[/quote]

Yeah I thought that I'd heard that too but I wasn't 100% sure.  If he has had the same op and Matty Bowen maintains his best then it would be a good indication to how Brett will turn out hopefully.

Dan link said:
If looking for a fullback for cover then Rhys Wesser may be a pretty safe option. He's 32 so at the end of his career, but won MOM on the weekend, is unsigned, and no-one is chasing him.  May squeeze a year out of him. Depends on where Hoppa is playing-wise.

Bowen verged on carving us at times.  If he and Thurston stay fit the Girls may yet make a late run.

Rex link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=183450.msg264524#msg264524 date=1275214199]
If looking for a fullback for cover then Rhys Wesser may be a pretty safe option. He's 32 so at the end of his career, but won MOM on the weekend, is unsigned, and no-one is chasing him.  May squeeze a year out of him. Depends on where Hoppa is playing-wise.
[/quote]

Josh Dugan?

We actually have another experienced NRL fullback on our books at the moment, I shall leave you to ponder who that is :p

You are too good Garts, he replaced Ridgey over there

Turn back the clock and give him a run there. If he gets to to the ball the kick returns could be entertaining

I to think we need another fullback for a "just in case" type thing.
Wade Mckinnon is fairly safe out the back and from memory he's at the Tiger's until the end of this year

if hodkinson leaves us he will just be cursing himself, no player who leaves us ever plays like they did when they were with us..  look at burnsy look at cuthbo .. they show potential with us , but as soon as they walk out of the club it goes down hill. what hodkinson doesnt realise is he needs foran to compliment his game ..  he has played two games without him for 1 win & 1 loss .. but really after the 60th min mark he does nothing to spark us ..the only time he has was when foran is on with him..
its a bit like wolfman , came to us when our side was in a purple patch he ended up keeping bani out of a spot represented australia then was asking for over 200,000 dollars & hadnt even played a full season with us , his 2nd year wasnt that crash hot .. i still have memories of him at SOO  getting smacked twice by tonga in the same part of the ground & losing the ball twice. 

jjai link said:
if hodkinson leaves us he will just be cursing himself, no player who leaves us ever plays like they did when they were with us..  look at burnsy look at cuthbo .. they show potential with us , but as soon as they walk out of the club it goes down hill. what hodkinson doesnt realise is he needs foran to compliment his game ..  he has played two games without him for 1 win & 1 loss .. but really after the 60th min mark he does nothing to spark us ..the only time he has was when foran is on with him..
its a bit like wolfman , came to us when our side was in a purple patch he ended up keeping bani out of a spot represented australia then was asking for over 200,000 dollars & hadnt even played a full season with us , his 2nd year wasnt that crash hot .. i still have memories of him at SOO  getting smacked twice by tonga in the same part of the ground & losing the ball twice. 

Great post mate

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7