ICC allows Murali to chuck

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Murali on the chucking controversy

'About 80% of bowlers have some degree of flexion'

Wisden Cricinfo staff

November 10, 2004

The findings of the three-man panel that did in-depth research on bowling actions for the International Cricket Council will be greeted with immense relief and a sense of vindication by one man. Muttiah Muralitharan has always felt that he was a high-profile, soft target - and the revelation that 99% of bowlers throw under the current laws will come as no surprise to him.

In an interview with the Sunday Times last August, he questioned the wisdom of carrying out tests on individuals in isolation. "So many of the people who talk about this issue don't even know what a bowling action is," he said then. "There are cricketers who haven't gone deeper into the subject. They don't know what research has been done in the field. Why check only one or two bowlers? Why not check all? You take Harbhajan Singh, Saqlain [Mushtaq], you take [Ashley] Giles, all the spinners."

The double standards also appalled Murali, with the ICC allowing fast bowlers twice as much leeway – 10 degrees – despite the fact that Murali's own freakishly supple shoulder generates tremendous ball-speed. And when confronted with the accusation that his doosra was illegal, Murali calmly refocused the spotlight on the bouncer. "If you check the flexion for bouncers, I think it will be more than anything else," he said. "I think every fast bowler straightens his arm when he bowls a bouncer. They're not robots, your arm can only move a certain way. I can challenge anyone. Put every bowler to the test, and see what you get.

"I've been bowling like this for over ten years, and it's not appropriate to pick out only me. If you check, you'll find that 80% of bowlers have some degree of flexion. They should also be tested to see if their actions are correct."

The figure of 99% will shock those who have followed the game for years, and will no doubt elicit angry responses from former legends whose actions were considered beyond reproach. But for Murali, who was once even called a javelin-thrower by Bishan Singh Bedi, the figures back up what he has said all along, that very few actions are without some kink when subjected to high-speed cameras.

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

The ICC has no Cahonas. Surely it is up to the umpire's opinion whether a delivery is legal or not. Anybody who chucks whould be dealt with. Remodel their action or no-ball them out if the game. Doesnt matter if they are Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar, Murali or Billy Bloggs. Get them fixed or get rid of 'em. And apparently former Pommy Trundler-extraordinaire Gus Fraser has said all the former greats occasionally chucked. He is a member of the ICC chucking panel member of the six-man panel and wrote in The Independent, even the likes of Fred Trueman, Dennis Lillee, Curtly Ambrose, Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee, and Ian Botham were found to have exceeded the straightening-limit set by the ICC. How dare he!!!!!!!!! If the umpires in those days saw it they would have been called. Stand up to bullsh*t ICC you spineless toadies.

disgrace, the sub continental portion of the ICC has become too powerful, due basically to the massive population and the cash it generates over there... firstly doctored wickets are now a non issue, now if a sri lanken chucks, we better Bend the rules to fit him in, no pun intended!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4