If Snake is back, where does Hiku go?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We will lose Hiku to keep Snake. In just a couple of short years we will absolutely regret it, but who wants to be responsible for pushing Snake out of the club?

mickqld said:
I've gotta say Matai was poor in defense tonight because he is carrying some shocking injuries. Hiku would cover his center spot no worries. Stevie missed so many tackles tonight. I hate to say it but his injuries may cost us.

I think he's always plays injured. After Every tackle he gets injured, I've never seen someone who gets injured so much week in and out and still plays. He's a tough bugger.

Hiku is fabulous. He is a real fullback for mine, safe under the high ball and absolutely brilliant running from the back. I would definately keep Hiku for the future. Can't believe how good he is at this stage of his career. Snake is an absolute legend but he seems to miss half the season these days so I am really torn over this.

Townsville Eagle said:
Hiku is fabulous. He is a real fullback for mine, safe under the high ball and absolutely brilliant running from the back. I would definately keep Hiku for the future. Can't believe how good he is at this stage of his career. Snake is an absolute legend but he seems to miss half the season these days so I am really torn over this.

Great point about Brett missing half the season these days. I hope no one tries to dispel your claims with facts because it will get in the way of your great point.

2013 played 17 games
2012 played 21 games
2011 played 20 games

So only 2003, 2009, 2010 has he played less than 17 games...17/26 =65%. This is an estimate based on Manly playing roughly 26 games a year, obviously some years they play more, but this post was never going to be factual.

He has to be full back, he brings so much composure at the back, chiming into the back line and his try assists speak as much as the trys he scores.

In the future I see him at 5/8 where Foz can move to lock and Gift to the 2nd row. Hiku is such a weapon to have, he is good for 150 meters every game getting our sets off to a solid start, the best is all ahead for him.

From what Foz said on Sunday's footy show, dont think we'll need to worry about it this week. And hence, probably not this year.

He said Snake is very 50/50 and his training has been "bits and pieces".

Where does Hiku go? A week off

If Brett Stewart says he's right to play, he's right to play.Even at 80-90% fit, he should get the nod. His worth to our general all round play and reputation would demand that no matter how Hiku is going.

Taufua and Wolf are the NRL's leading tryscorers so no spot there.
Matai and Lyon are two of the best centre's in the game so not spot there either.

Four forwards on the bench v Souths, so no room there. I may even be tempted to add another big bopper
depending on the game plan.

Hiku is only 20, his time will come, hopefully he realises where he is at in his career.

I will be very surprised if we see Brett play again this year, it was do or die on Friday and he didn't so it must be a really bad tear and if so needs time to heal. I think its usually 6 weeks or so for a bad one.

Hiku will be our full back like it or not

One thing that amazes me with opposition supporters and most of the media is the lack of respect for Brett as a link for his supports and his try assists.

Finally there is a story regarding his touches to try assists is almost twice as good as anyone else out there. I'm suprised people haven't noticed this.

It has taken Brett a few years to achieve his skills as a ball player. Put that with his undeniable tryscoring ability and we have one of the most valuable players going around.

Last nights game of Melb v Knights should've highlighted the value in a fullback being able to produce a play like Brett can. Slater stuffed up time and time again and i wouldn't swap Brett for him or Inglis even if it meant a few more games a year from those guys.

Hiku is a star of the future. Who better to learn the trade off than someone who has just about every aspect of the game covered?

Even if Brett gets 18 or so games a year i'd be pleased. The full amount of games and i'd be wrapt.

I know thinking of the Souths game.... am i more confident with Brett at the back or Hiku. It's Brett for mine.

Hopefully Hiku signs a long term contract as he is a star of the future as Brett was when he started. The ball playing part of the game Hiku will learn in time, like Brett did.

I just don't think we can win the title without Brett.

Congratulations to Hiku on a GREAT first year.

Hiku should follow the $ and deservedly so. He has a young family to look out - his best option would be to seek top dollar from a club that is likely to play finals football.

Not too fussed on losing him as Gutherson seems like he will be Brett's natural successor. The wraps on both young players is tremendous so as long as we keep one of them I think we will have done well.

Snake was a hole runner & support player when he came into first grade. It took a long time before he became a ball passer. Hiku has been at this gig for 5 games. He will get there, but it takes time & game experience.

Do you think his attack can improve? I mean when he is put in gaps he can't seem to get away. He's as safe as houses but his ability to finish is my main question.

Pittwater Legend said:
Hiku should follow the $ and deservedly so. He has a young family to look out - his best option would be to seek top dollar from a club that is likely to play finals football.

Not too fussed on losing him as Gutherson seems like he will be Brett's natural successor. The wraps on both young players is tremendous so as long as we keep one of them I think we will have done well.

Why should he follow the $$ ?
Didn't he sign for 2 or 3 years?
He would've known who was in front of him, arguably the best 1-7 in the comp, so realistically not expect to play too much 1st Grade in that time - the games he's played this year are a bonus.

Not many NYC stars step up straightaway, go through last years U20's team of the year and see how many 1st grade games are between them, I'd be willing to bet less than 30 so he's played more than the average.
Maybe our coaching staff knew he was a goodun and that's why they signed him for more than a year.

In two years time, you'd think that one or two of our backs will be close to passing the baton on so we should keep both of them.

We'll be paying premium $$ for DCE and Foz and rightly so and the chance to play with them should be enough to spurn anyone else with a bigger chequebook.

Snake is our best ever fullback ( and yes I saw Wombat play! ) and Lyon will go down alongside Bozo as our best ever centre so playing behind them shouldn't be taken as a slight on his ability.

Darren said:
Do you think his attack can improve? I mean when he is put in gaps he can't seem to get away. He's as safe as houses but his ability to finish is my main question.
His attack can improve but he wont get any faster. His best position will be centre.

The normally conservative sports coverage Channel 7 reporting Brett Stewart almost certain to be declared 'fit to play'. YeeHaaah !:)

I don't think he will be 100% (he hasn't been 100% the whole 2nd half of the season anyway) but I reckon he will play.

If he played the last 2 weeks we probably win both of those games well and it's a different story. The risk is going to be if we do win is how he's going to back up for the big one.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Darren said:
His attack can improve but he wont get any faster. His best position will be centre.

The normally conservative sports coverage Channel 7 reporting Brett Stewart almost certain to be declared 'fit to play'. YeeHaaah !:)

By conservative do you mean crap and uninformed? ;0)

Terry-Randal said:
Hiku is better then i thought.

Hiku was The Warriors 2012 Player of the year. Played in the centres most of that season, also played a bit of wing, fullback and backrow.

Great to see him get an opportunity earlier then expected. But to take it and do so well is awesome.

Terry-Randal said:

Hiku was The Warriors 2012 Player of the year. Played in the centres most of that season, also played a bit of wing, fullback and backrow.

Great to see him get an opportunity earlier then expected. But to take it and do so well is awesome.

Terry-Randal said:

Terry-Randal said:

Terry-Randal said:

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6