Impact off the bench

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dankseagles

Reserve Grader
Having the best starting front row in the nrl I reckon it’s going to be hard to have equal impact off the bench. Gowski is a solid toiler and Waddell would make a great 80 min back rower. But opposition teams and most importantly coaches must be licking their lips for when Taupau and AFB come off. And Boyle. Well that’s another discussion completely.

I love an impact bench player. The sharks gun Hamlin uele is a young gun with huge impact. Or seasoned campaigners like Mark Bryant know what needs to be done. To be honest I don’t think our bench offer either option.

I think we miss a real big fella that can come and continue to have a crack and can continue the roll on. It’s a shame Perrett, Paseka etc haven’t filled this hole as it’s our biggest missing piece. Sipley obviously injured and Tanginoa released.

We may need to remould our bench as it isn’t top 4 material.

Last edited:
100% agree. Must have in your team. Hard to buy a player like that, who is going to be a bench impact player, usually they start as lesser known players brought through or younger power forwards and then start to make their impact.

One player i thought might be worth looking at before june 30 is Russell packer. Playing reggies and tigers looking to off load him. If we could get him cheap 150k abouts for the remainder of the year he could fill sipleys role and cover injury to AFB or Marty

100% agree. Must have in your team. Hard to buy a player like that, who is going to be a bench impact player, usually they start as lesser known players brought through or younger power forwards and then start to make their impact.

One player i thought might be worth looking at before june 30 is Russell packer. Playing reggies and tigers looking to off load him. If we could get him cheap 150k abouts for the remainder of the year he could fill sipleys role and cover injury to AFB or Marty
I didn't know Fudge was playing reggies. He's a good player, with good experience. Wasn't he their captain at one stage last year?

Yes I agree. Until someone steps up or we buy someone before June 30, it might be in best interests of the team to have either AFB or Marty coming off bench, as ideally we want at least one of them on the field at all times.

Everytime marty and afb are off we slump,as soon as boyle came on the field last week we lost what momentum we had,i cant see why we cant split marty and afb,have marty with wadell and afb with paseska and rotate them and send boyle far far away lol

• 👍
Reactions: R3
A couple of things ..... (1) .... The lack of a big body on the bench is a deliberate ploy by Dessie ... He has preferred to go with smaller more mobile players like goJetski and Waddell .. it is not accidental ... he could of used paseka or Perrett several times but has chosen not too ...

(2) .... I will again go against the grain of common ST wisdom and say that I started to see a bit of the good that people have seen in Boyle .... I believe this bloke will continue to improve and will be a strong contributor towards the back end of the year .....

(2) .... I will again go against the grain of common ST wisdom and say that I started to see a bit of the good that people have seen in Boyle .... I believe this bloke will continue to improve and will be a strong contributor towards the back end of the year .....
I think it would be wrong to gauge an individual player's value on the Broncos and Titans games given how stuffed the majority of the team seemed or a 5 min stint against the sharks. Still probably a flip of the coin for this future but I'd at least wait until the team get some cohesion back before giving up on him.

A couple of things ..... (1) .... The lack of a big body on the bench is a deliberate ploy by Dessie ... He has preferred to go with smaller more mobile players like goJetski and Waddell .. it is not accidental ... he could of used paseka or Perrett several times but has chosen not too ...

Yes, I agree - noticed glimpses of quicker play-the-balls and leg drive from him over the past couple of games (though in fairness, he only got the last five mins against the Sharkies, so was always going to look fresh). He may develop. Also - Paseka seems to be working closer to the main squad, in Dessie fashion - has moved into the top 19 the past two games. I'd say he is coming along and getting his fitness back up to where Des requires it.

The whole forward pack lacked any enthusiasm last week. Defensive line was slow and standing back waiting for titans attack. I suppose it was coming but geez against the last placed team at home is 2 points that will cost us dearly at end of season. Inexcusable effort from all the forwards. Now they have to make up for that loss and win at a place we find very difficult Panthers. I can't see it and we'll slip out of the 8.

The interchange has good mobility and endurance to keep up fitness wise and not become a defensive liability...
An area I think is missing off the bench is a lack of punch.....no real Explosive types who put a dent into a tiring opposition to win momentum.
The other area I feel is down with interchange is very little aggression....it's great to have some firepower off the bench who will make the opposition worried....Boyle has the size to intimidate, but seems to lack that streak of anger you want from a bohemoth coming off the bench, Paseka still young is similar in this area and may improve - but needs to start soon..
Waddell is more your skillful backrower poking around, but does have a big hit in him.
Jetski is a hard worker, but yet to see this defensive demon I heard about when first signed from the Bunnies in 2018.
Perrett is big and soft, stopping at the defence rather than plowing through it, the 1 game I seen Perrett run hard and direct, he made holes in cement and popped the ball after bending the line and I thought he was gunna be 1 heck of a signing - how wrong was I....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8