Interesting perspective

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Briza

Maroon and White - Born and Bred
https://realsport101.com/news/sport...a-eagles-supporting-the-sea-eagles-aint-easy/

Supporting the Sea Eagles ain’t easy
This season and for so long now it's been incredibly tough supporting Manly. But now enough is enough!

The Oxford Dictionary defines a supporter as “A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.”

As a Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles fan from a young age, that’s all I’ve ever wanted for my beloved team. Being a passionate and true supporter, supporting my team through thick and thin. For most of my time following Manly, the club has had its issues off the field that were, for the most part, covered up by the successes on it. But now that they’ll be runners-up for the wooden spoon this season, that no longer happens and they’ve been exposed badly.

The season from hell
With all the great displeasure and pain in the world it causes me to say this, this season has been taking the absolute piss. And I know I’m not the only Manly fan out there feeling this painful combination of embarrassment and sadness whenever I turn on the TV and watch them play now.

If you could even describe it as that?

Because with some of the crap they’ve tossed up, an Under 12’s side might have a chance against them. Can you really blame the fans for the attendances massively sliding this season? Or could we really protest if the side were to be relocated to Perth, or the Central Coast, or wherever? I honestly could say I couldn’t.

This campaign alone Manly will finish second last on the ladder only beaten by the slightly more woeful Eels, a disgusting result for a talented, representative filled side that was competing in Grand Finals regularly not all that long ago. If that wasn’t bad enough for the foreseeable future, unless an English Super League side agrees to take him, Manly are stuck with Daly Cherry-Evans’ albatross of a contract and sometimes he plays like he’s not even worth half that. While we are losing people that are actually relevant and important to the club. Trent Barrett will be gone after our final game against the Broncos and he’s tried his very best this season to keep all his players shielded from the rubbish and politics going on inside the club.

Tom and Jake unhappy?
Compounding that the Trbojevic brothers are reportedly unhappy about Barett’s forced exit from the club. While Martin Taupau also reportedly no longer wants to be with the club and is negotiating a contract with the Roosters. This while all season Manly have had the salary cap dramas hanging over their heads. Plus earlier in the season, at a strip club no less and after a loss, our captain and his backup had a fight, one which went public, and one which caused Jackson Hastings’ to not only be exiled while he was with the club but similar to Barett, leave soon after. The club just lurched itself from one disaster to another.

Now, maybe just to spite the fans and show how truly incompetent they really are, the board supposedly want to bring in John Cartwright as our new head coach ahead of some other ‘normal’ candidates such as Des Hasler (Two Premierships with Manly), Geoff Toovey (Coached them to the 2013 Grand Final) and Michael Maguire (Helped South Sydney break their massive Premiership drought).

While Cartwright himself was an excellent, excellent player. He’s absolutely incompetent as a coach and nowhere even close to what we need to be bringing this club into the 21st century. During his stint with the Titans he won only 86 of the 186 games in which he was head coach. The side needs someone with a proven winners mentality and that is sure as hell, not him.

Rough on and off the field
Off the field, it’s evidently poor enough. Now onto the on-field results, they’ve been just as appealing if not more so given that both Tom and Jake T play for the club, them as well as Daly Cherry-Evans, Martin Taupau plus Dylan Walker and Jorge Taufua. But despite this absolute quality and expensive quality might I add within the side, they’ve won only seven of their twenty-three games this season and barring a miracle the Broncos will absolutely give it to them up in Brisbane.

The side started their dismal season with seven defeats from their opening nine games and it didn’t get any better from there. They gave up 56 points at Brookie against the Chooks, while also 42 against the Titans on the Northern Beaches. Two simply embarrassing amounts. While being at our early 38-12 loss against the Tigers made me absolutely sick to my stomach and although I stayed on till full-time, everyone that I had come to the game with did not. That game made me so, so sad for my once proud club. However, the worst was losing 44-10 to Parramatta away from home (especially so after smashing them 54-0 in our second game of the season). To concede 44 points and seven tries against your arch-rivals, there’s absolutely nothing that can be said about it and no explaining it.

To Manly fans everywhere, no matter where you are, you might not necessarily agree with everything I’ve said in my rant and that’s completely fine, but we don’t deserve this, no fan of any club should have to put up with what we’ve endured this season.

The board needs to, combined with our ownership, move on or change quick smart and start taking some accountability instead of hiding behind our embattled coach and captain. While every single bloody player needs to start showing some pride and respect in the famous Maroon & White jersey. Greats like Bob Fulton, Graham Eadie and Cliff Lyons would be absolutely shuddering at what they’ve seen this season. And for the first time, as deeply saddening as it is, I’m embarrassed to be a Manly supporter.

Do you think Toby is right, or has he been too hard on the struggling Sea Eagles? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
Yup pretty much summarises what most of us think really. For mine though, after the year we've had we really needed some positive and exciting news to look forward to next season. We are all so deflated and gutted and then to hear 99% certain Cartwright would coach next couple of seasons was a real let down for me personally. I thought it was a great opportunity to get some Manly blood back in and reinforce that siege mentality that's been so effective for us over the years. But alas, no. Hypothetically, if say Tooves was given the gig if we didn't make the 8 next yr I'd be disappointed but certainly not angry. Because I know he's Manly through and through and would be trying his absolute best for us to succeed. But when it's failure driven by outsiders Just hunting a pay cheque...well that makes my blood boil.

That article sums up my feelings perfectly. It's refreshing to know that there are other Manly supporters feeling so deflated by 2018, but worrying to know that 2019 is shaping as being no better.

That article sums up my feelings perfectly. It's refreshing to know that there are other Manly supporters feeling so deflated by 2018, but worrying to know that 2019 is shaping as being no better.
Yeah the concern for me was that over the season I didn't see improvement. Our defence was atrocious and disorganised all year and when we put on points on teams they were mainly created from individual effort rather than team cohesion. Just once ffs to hear ' Beautifully constructed Manly try' or 'Manlys set plays are giving the opposition plenty of trouble' lol NEVER heard that stuff all year. But watch the gun teams and that's all the commentators refer to. That's good coaching - players knowing their role and executing. TB is not a coaches a**hole and it would be fair to assume literally anyone could do a better job than he did but ffs if Cartwright was the defensive coach even if he improves our attack marginally we will still get smashed by quality opposition. That's my issue with it.

To Manly fans everywhere, no matter where you are, you might not necessarily agree with everything I’ve said in my rant and that’s completely fine, but we don’t deserve this, no fan of any club should have to put up with what we’ve endured this season

Why don't Manly fans deserve this? ... that is probably the attitude that proves we did deserve it and more .....

The test is not whether you get knocked down ... it is if you do, don't whinge like a butt-sore wee Jessie .... it is get back up and rip in ...

PSS ... the way some Manly fans have bitched like shielas, they deserve to be bend over and ..... or sold to Parra as tackle bags ......

PSSS ... I know you didn't write the article @Briza .. and my comments are not directed at you ..

Last edited:
I also read an article about how prospective and perspective get confused sometimes.

edit: now it's been fixed, I look like a doofus and I can do that by myself!

Last edited:
We've had 1 really bad season since basically 1947. I think we all need a dose of concrete (especially me ) and harden the **** up. Imagine supporting
Parra none since 1986
Souths 1 since 1971
Penrith 2 in 50 yrs
Sharks 1 in 50 yrs
Goons 1 since 1979
Rorters 2 in 40 yrs
Tigers 1 since 1969
Knights 2 ever.
Titans Warriors none
Raiders none since 1990
Cows 1 ever
Manly wins 72 73 76 78 87 96 08 11.
Runners up 70 82 83 95 97 07 13.
Seriously we need to get a grip.

We've had 1 really bad season since basically 1947. I think we all need a dose of concrete (especially me ) and harden the **** up. Imagine supporting
Parra none since 1986
Souths 1 since 1971
Penrith 2 in 50 yrs
Sharks 1 in 50 yrs
Goons 1 since 1979
Rorters 2 in 40 yrs
Tigers 1 since 1969
Knights 2 ever.
Titans Warriors none
Raiders none since 1990
Cows 1 ever
Manly wins 72 73 76 78 87 96 08 11.
Runners up 70 82 83 95 97 07 13.
Seriously we need to get a grip.
Please add the spoons to each team in the list.

I'm not of the opinion that "we don't deserve this"... Its sports.. Every team has a sh!t season like this on the field.. It's part of sports and being a fan..

What I don't think we deserve tho, is useless rich boys running the club who seem more intent on driving manly into the ground than to make us a powerhouse .

Every single move our owners make, literally, every single move, is the bestxact opposite of what needs to be done..

We have a good coach in tooves, not the best, but bleeds manly and for the most part got results.. Let's fire him for an unproven outsider rookie..

We need a strong board, nope, relatives and useless pr!cks it is,

Maybe let a company buy in to secure our financial longevity.. Nope, let's tell every single company interested in getting on the manly brand that were not interested cos it S our toy...

And i do think fans are treated unfairly imo.. How can our voices be heard by a board that won't listen.. Don't show up to games... Vote with our feet.. Which we did.. Only to be mocked and ridiculed for not going to games.

The way this club is, I wouldn't give a toss if we folded atm

Agree with most of what he’s saying except the albatross Cherry Evans call.
I still find it terribly frustrating that people still think his contact is unreasonable. Halfbacks that have represented their state, country, have won Clive Churchill medals and grand finals will always get more that the other players.
If he was on the open market he would get 1.2m from numerous clubs.
Anyway hopefully with some better coaching we can become competitice again in 2019.

Now where’s that sack Cartwright thread that @strone33 has started so I can leave a comment.

Agree with most of what he’s saying except the albatross Cherry Evans call.
I still find it terribly frustrating that people still think his contact is unreasonable. Halfbacks that have represented their state, country, have won Clive Churchill medals and grand finals will always get more that the other players.
If he was on the open market he would get 1.2m from numerous clubs.
Anyway hopefully with some better coaching we can become competitice again in 2019.

Now where’s that sack Cartwright thread that @strone33 has started so I can leave a comment.
Great post.

We've had 1 really bad season since basically 1947. I think we all need a dose of concrete (especially me ) and harden the **** up. .

Never knew how close in 1948 and 1953 were to Manly getting the spoon. This year would have played out like 1948 and '53 if all this round's games were played at the same time. We're lucky the Eels lost last night, so unlike 48 and 53 the team and fans have the pressure off.

1948 Manly & Norths played each other at Brookie in a final round battle for the spoon! Loser got the spoon. Going into the last round Manly were last on 7 points, Norths were second last on 8 points & Eels were on 9 points. The Eels won their game.

Manly beat Norths, but it was on goals not tries.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article169372854
Wooden Spooners Fight To Death
Manly beat Norths yesterday at Brookvale 13-12. For the winners, M. Gilmer kicked five goals from six attempts. The game resolved itself into a fight for the wooden spoon.
The standard of play was far from the best. Manly's best were: R. Beamont, R. O'Connell, R. McDonnell and M. Gilmer (backs), L. Johnson, W. Abbott and K. Kirkwood in the vanguard.
Manly, 13 (J. Walsh try. M. Gilmer 5 goals) beat North Sydney, 12 (J. Sullivan, P. Milgate tries. A. Harley 3 goals).

Season 1953 was another final round escape too. Manly were equal last with Wests going into the final round. Manly faced Canterbury at Brookie, with the visitors looking to get the win and spot in the semis. But Manly won 16-10, while Wests lost 19-9 to St George.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8