Is Dave Warwick a better recruitment officer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If he is as good a recruitment officer as his Mum was a singer we'll be good.

Yeah, but Wombat, his mum couldnt manage the cash and now she's broke and owes millions. Sad.

Anyone else get the feeling that because we didn't sign the bulk of the 2009 NYC team long term it'll come back and bite us..

Noticed that the Storm are signing up the next generation think Bromwich, Duffie etc.

I'm hoping we're signing big, tough 18 year old forwards and centres

Relax, it seems to me that the recruitment dept are on top of issue. I well remember last season we were all doom and gloom re recruitment. Now look at who's playing well. Just sit back and enjoy.

eagles2win said:
Anyone else get the feeling that because we didn't sign the bulk of the 2009 NYC team long term it'll come back and bite us..

Noticed that the Storm are signing up the next generation think Bromwich, Duffie etc.

Nope. We signed the best of that team, DCE & Foz and we will develop a team around them for years to come.

In my opinion the recruitment officer is the most over rated job in the business. Sure having an eye for talent is one thing, but it doesn't mean squat unless the club has the right culture and development focus for the individual.

Look at the guru that is apparently Peter O'Sullivan. The man who found Greg Inglis. I mean what a genius he must have been. To go out on a limb like that and say the Storm should sign the kid who was twice as big and twice as fast as everyone else in his age group. Kids who get signed from places outside of normal NRL catchment areas aren't that hard to spot. The ones who go to NRL clubs are the ones who are dominant in their teams and leagues. You don't need to have a huge eye for talent to notice these kids, because they stand out like the proverbial. The real key is how the club looks after them once they are in the system. I've had a little bit to do with a few kids who have been on the books of NRL clubs and only a handful have made it, some didn't because they didn't have the required work ethic to begin with, but some also because the club they went to didn't look after them adequately. Unfortuantely most NRL clubs treat juniors like infinite resources, if they don't work out they just grab the next kid off the rack. Eventhough we do a better job than most, its an area that you should always look to be improving on because getting them ingrained into your system at a young age will ultimately make them better players and we will reap the benefits of that long term.

Phantar said:
I think we are ok there Bazza.

I think another question is who is being groomed as Tooves long-term replacement? I think he is eventually destined to run the Club. We were very lucky to have him ready to step in, when Hasler left.

Will it be Luke Williamson? Or someone else - i.e. Cliffy? Remembering that Manly has invariably achieved more on-field with an ex-Manly player at the helm. 8 premiership-winning teams coached by just 4 Manly greats and 10 other GF appearances, under the auspices of some of the above, as well as Wally O'Connell, George Hunter and Ray Ritchie. Manly men all. Maybe only Souths can match that record.

Perhaps that person is still playing?

I think Tooves will stick around coaching for a while yet. He has a huge future ahead of him as the first coach to deliver us 3 premierships.

I reckon Foran will make a great coach one day. He has a great understanding of the game, but more importantly I think he has the attitude for it. You need a bit of mongrel to be a good coach imo.

There will probably need to 1 or 2 coaches in between Tooves and Foran. Nobody jumps out at me for that gig.

Not 100% right Masked Eagle

If the recruitment guys are doing their job they do much more than just wait for the big buggers to appear.

I am sure you'll find a couple of things

Dave Warwick will almost never be in Narrabeen, he's probably attending every country Rugby League Carnival and would be spending his weekends otherwise attending junior games and you can bet he'd be recording every NYC game, and attending many others watching on to spot the talent.

He will also have a network of volunteers (I met one at the at the Leagues Club one day having lunch with Steve Gigg) who will be on the hunt and feeding him information.

And that's only relative to junior recruitment.

I can only but imagine the time they would spend on signing "plodders who they think could become stars (such as Lawrence).

In my opinion his role as as vital as Tooves and Donny!!

He might not get the Kudos he deserves on here but nevertheless he deserves a fair bit!!

mickqld said:
eagles2win said:

Nope. We signed the best of that team, DCE & Foz and we will develop a team around them for years to come.

If I've got my years right, the bulk of that side hasn't kicked on and of the ones that have,we've locked in the best ones - DCE, Foz, Buhrer. JWH is just coming on now but the Chooks paid ridiculous dosh to get him as have Parra for Lussick - so that's 5 out of 17, where are the rest?

I think the stats on NYC stars really going on to be genuine NRL stars are that maybe 40-50% really make it and then it takes a few years anyway.
Get on the 'net and go through the NYC teams of the year from 2008 onwards and you'll get the idea, sure there are regular first graders but not many that you would say were genuine stars straight up.
The Warriors have been the benchmark of the NYC for the past 3 years but that hasn't helped them, we picked up 2 of their best last year is Hiku & Sao and a few others have gone elsewhere too.

As Masked Eagle said, it's a matter of identifying then getting then keeping them happy.

Hopefully Hiku, Sao and MCK see the big picture and are happy to learn whilst being remunerated well and know their time will come.

Roosters team looks pretty impressive with their kids coming through. O'Sullivan is at the top of the pile.

Darren said:
Roosters team looks pretty impressive with their kids coming through. O'Sullivan is at the top of the pile.

Bar the big signings and Mini, most of the current team played together usually from u18s up

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4