Is David Smith going ok?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MadMarcus said:
Hamster Huey said:
Remember, David is the boss of the ARLC, not the day-to-day manager for the NRL.

Then what is he actually responsible for, and who is running the NRL?

His is a broader overview of the code as a whole, across the various competitions and governing bodies, with Greenberg left to manage NRL matters specifically. Given he only walked in to the job in Feb, there were many factors for 2013 that were already established (tv deal, fta influence, scheduling) and it is unreasonable to dress him down over those.

He's also not there to worry about the refs or rules at NRL level.

That's why I like to cut him some slack on same things we may have expected him to have an influence over, as he finds his groove. But at the very least I can appreciate that I'm NOT seeing him plastered all over the tv screens on a near daily basis, reacting short term to whatever the owners deemed the 'issue of the day'.

HH is right. He is there for the business side of things. It is difficult to judge his performance because he would be involved in a lot of corporate governance/behind the scenes things which would bore the average punter to death.

If you want to talk about refs, then go to Daniel Anderson. Scheduling Nathan McGuirk. Player issues Greenburg. Etc etc.

He is delegating to people who are experienced and versed in those areas which is exactly what he should be doing.

The game is heading down the wrong path in several key areas in my view. In these circumstances it is the role of the CEO to listen to the stakeholders (the fans), develop a strategy to put the game back on track and implement it with the support of his subordinates (Greenberg et al).

Of course Smith should be delegating, but ultimately he must take responsibility for the state of the game and the actions of his subordinates. They all report to him and the buck stops with him. I'm sure Smith himself would acknowledge that.

In my view Smith's performance so far has been disappointing. I'm not calling for his head (we are not even close to that), but there is a lot of room for improvement.

In the words of the great Tooves "somebody has to be accountable for this". In rugby league that person, ultimately, is Smith.

MadMarcus said:
The game is heading down the wrong path in several key areas in my view. In these circumstances it is the role of the CEO to listen to the stakeholders (the fans), develop a strategy to put the game back on track and implement it with the support of his subordinates (Greenberg et al).

Of course Smith should be delegating, but ultimately he must take responsibility for the state of the game and the actions of his subordinates. They all report to him and the buck stops with him. I'm sure Smith himself would acknowledge that.

In my view Smith's performance so far has been disappointing. I'm not calling for his head (we are not even close to that), but there is a lot of room for improvement.

In the words of the great Tooves "somebody has to be accountable for this". In rugby league that person, ultimately, is Smith.

How about we give him more than six months to prove himself then. It's like giving it to a coach in the first half of their debut season, when the team is still finals bound, with just a couple of setbacks so far.

no one here or anywhere else I have read has mentioned what he has actually achieved. until that time I would barely give him a pass mark.
as someone mentioned in this thread, he is top of the pile and ultimately should be held responsible for most things either directly or indirectly.
we have all had to put up with rubbish refs this year, the refs boss is clearly delusional and thinks things are going along swimmingly, surely the chain of command works its way up to mr smith, on that front he would get a big fat fail
ticket prices are top of most peoples whinge list, in response to that they doubled the GF tickets - not sure how listening to the people creates that sort of reaction
the only thing that appears evident is that he is building an empire of (one would assume) highly paid management. I would imagine he could be earning more money out in the corporate world so you could easily think that he must be really passionate about the challenge of running the nrl. I am not seeing that.
once the money from the new tv deal runs will he will be hot footing it out of here as well

Billion dollar tv deal.
Touch footy merger.
League looking healthier nationally - WA,SA, Vic and NT more players.

Just needs to address this :
Lower Grades - Personally I like this - Nsw Cup and Qld Cup vs each other over U20s
3000 for a lower grade game should be the aim for each club.
International Football - more specifically in this region guaranteed tests between Aus (they're the worst) and other Pacific Nations (give those countries access to them players by not allowing Origin dictate terms ie Australia vs PNG - allowing Neville Costigan to play Origin but play for the Kumuls, Uate for the Bati and NSW) same for white players that choose to play for the home nations ie Reed for Qld and England.
Return of the Lions every 5 years - 3 ashes tests for Australia, 3 tests vs NZ, 1 against the Maori,1 against the Islanders (Aus and NZ release heritage players), 1 against the Affilated States.
Joeys and New Zealand 'A vs USA, Canada and Jamaica

that should be the aim

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6