Is the game better ( or worse) after all the changes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Its turned to junk. One team wins in a blowout, or one team has its bat first for 20 points, and then the opposition get the bat to see if they can run them down. Neither of these is an actual rugby league football contest, even if the scores end up close. Its NRL Big Bash League.

Its turned to junk. One team wins in a blowout, or one team has its bat first for 20 points, and then the opposition get the bat to see if they can run them down. Neither of these is an actual rugby league football contest, even if the scores end up close. Its NRL Big Bash League.

Mmmm thats a fair analogy as well.

Good with the one ref
Not sold on the 6 again, I like the idea of getting the wrestle out and has some merits but it needs tinkering, it is just to inconsistently applied, tackles you think should get a call don't and then a one that was quicker does plus no accountability for why it is given. To easy for Refs to piggy back their team. Also possibly a reason for what seems more ijuries this year, though I have no basis for that.
Also do not and never have agreed with changing rules after the comp starts unless for unprecedented circumstance (return to 1 ref) A team recruits and trains off season to play the game to the conditions set not for it to be changed after they have committed to signing players and training for the desired way to play to those conditions.

Love the Captains challenge.

I would like stripping ruled an infringement, hate the sight of players attacking the ball for a strip. If I wanted to see strippers I know where to go

Good with the one ref
Not sold on the 6 again, I like the idea of getting the wrestle out and has some merits but it needs tinkering, it is just to inconsistently applied, tackles you think should get a call don't and then a one that was quicker does plus no accountability for why it is given. To easy for Refs to piggy back their team. Also possibly a reason for what seems more ijuries this year, though I have no basis for that.
Also do not and never have agreed with changing rules after the comp starts unless for unprecedented circumstance (return to 1 ref) A team recruits and trains off season to play the game to the conditions set not for it to be changed after they have committed to signing players and training for the desired way to play to those conditions.

I would like stripping ruled an infringement, hate the sight of players attacking the ball for a strip. If I wanted to see strippers I know where to go
Also is not fairly balanced depending when the infringement is given whether first or last few tackles

I reckon infringement on first or second tackle should be a penalty, infringement on 3rd or later tackle should be 6 again.

I think of course most teams set themselves up for old rules types of players and got caught out , some badly.

Teams such as the Eels and the Panthers possibly might not be doing as well under the old rules.

It’s why we’ve seen the Rabbits and the Roosters struggle a bit.

Sadly the bloody Drizzle just seem to adapt , and quickly.
So we can't blame "the unlimited cap", "the big 4 to 3 to 2 to 1" and the "wrestle" for Melb's success now, what will the fans think up next.(oh i forgot to add the NRL command the refs to favour Melb to help expand the game nationally)

Sound game structures, analysis and fundamentals, good recruitment, movement off the ball(attack and defence), defined roles, direct play, hardened fitness and discipline go a long way to success. (exceeding the cap is more likely when you achieve the above because lazy clubs want to fast track success through the purchase of their players)

@Mark from Brisbane ... not completely on topic ... but one thing I have noticed is that "form" has re-entered Rugby League ... games appear to be going to the better teams ... upsets are becoming rarer .... no longer is Myrtle from the typing pool winning the tipping contest ..

I may be wrong .... (unlikely) .... but would like to know how everybody is going in the tipping contests .... have your winning picks increased on average over the past 8 weeks ...

PSS ... I did not say upsets haven't happened ... just less of them ...

@Mark from Brisbane ... not completely on topic ... but one thing I have noticed is that "form" has re-entered Rugby League ... games appear to be going to the better teams ... upsets are becoming rarer .... no longer is Myrtle from the typing pool winning the tipping contest ..

I may be wrong .... (unlikely) .... but would like to know how everybody is going in the tipping contests .... have your winning picks increased on average over the past 8 weeks ...

PSS ... I did not say upsets haven't happened ... just less of them ...
Apart from the odd upset it’s basically a top 8 / bottom 8 type of competition with only small positional changes each week.

So we can't blame "the unlimited cap", "the big 4 to 3 to 2 to 1" and the "wrestle" for Melb's success now, what will the fans think up next.(oh i forgot to add the NRL command the refs to favour Melb to help expand the game nationally)

Sound game structures, analysis and fundamentals, good recruitment, movement off the ball(attack and defence), defined roles, direct play, hardened fitness and discipline go a long way to success. (exceeding the cap is more likely when you achieve the above because lazy clubs want to fast track success through the purchase of their players)
Thanks for answering my original question .......NOT!!

I don’t mind the one ref, but reckon they rely more than ever on their ‘tip sheet’.

Not sold on 6 again. Too much reliance on which side the bed the ref wakes up on. I think I would have preferred they trial different approaches to solve the issue first - Eg, a 5 min sin bin for consecutive penalties in your defensive 20m; mandatory sin bin for a team’s 5th penalty in a half. To introduce a fundamental new rule mid season without trialing it is not the way a professional comp should be run in my view.

Again unfortunately its another way that the AFL beats the NRL. Because the AFL do have a pre-season comp they are able to trial new rules and see how it affects all teams, and of course whether or not the rules actually work. They can then make a decision about using any new rules before the season proper starts. With no pre or mid season competitions in the NRL, any new rules don't get to be trialed first to see how or if they work.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the 6 again rule. But like you I would have preferred that they trialed it first rather than just bring it straight in. And by trialed I mean with all teams playing under the rule, not just because it supposedly worked in the All Star Game a couple of years ago.

Good with the one ref

Yep there are definitely inconsistencies but it’s better than before for the simple reason a 50/50 infringement does not result in a 30 or 40 metre kick THEN six again. You can go from one end of the field to the other on one grey area call.

Whatever rule you bring in requires consistent application by the referees whether it’s a penalty or six again so I don’t think you can pin inconsistencies on the rule itself. That’s down to the refs.

They’ve tried penalising the wrestle every tackle last year and the fans whinged the game was too stop start and it was killed off after six weeks.

This has its issues but the game is clearly better, quicker, creates more fatigue as nowhere near as many stoppages and minor infringements aren’t a massive penalty to the defensive sides in terms of field position.

Throw in the fact that six again means we don’t have to have the TV stations going over every ****ing incident with replay after replay.
Best rule in a long time for plenty of reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my original question .......NOT!!
It is a reply to the end part of your comments, it's not uncommon for posts to not answer the original question, that is what Silvertails is renowned for.

Or maybe i didn't answer the question directly because the game is different not better.

When there is a good balance of speed and allowing the play the ball to be slowed down as a reward for dominance or as a result of leg tacklers trying to get back to marker then the game looks good, other times the game is too overly influenced by the speed and 6 again not being applied consistently due to the time of the game.

10mtrs is shortened too often under the current arrangement, i prefer two refs.

No matter what rules there are we seem to cop it mire heavily enforced against us than many others. Watching the 2 games today there wasn't as many set restart calls in 2 games as there was against us last night.

The game is always better as it chases continuous improvement and rule changes come with that.

The consistency is missing, those restarts are good, the one thing I would police is the hands on the ball in the play the ball. Should be an automatic given with opposing defending players slowly removing hands away. Would give more consistency and this stripping rule more clarity.

Or consider removing the stripping rule, it has changed the way some ball players play, I like the one arm carry and if the defence is good enough to put a hit on a dislodge the ball fair enough. The other alternative is once there has been two or more defenders touch the attacking player a strip post this on the attacking player is a penalty. This three or four blokes on a player then fall off to strip is a tough rule on the attacking team.

The one thing I didn’t like about the changes post Covid has been the clubs normally use the off season to adjust to the changes. Has caught a few out at the moment

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10