It's all in the name

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
OK, no Googling -
Has any player ever been awarded a gong named after themselves?
Clue - it is in a football code but I won't say which one.
And no Googling!!

I can't believe this has had almost 150 views and no-one has guessed the answer! I'm starting to think it must be a pretty good trivia question. :)

I can't believe this has had almost 150 views and no-one has guessed the answer! I'm starting to think it must be a pretty good trivia question. :)
Well, when I looked at your question, you impliedly answered it in the next sentence.

So to answer your question, “yes”. 😜

But if your question is “who?”, I haven’t the foggiest!!

If you multiply all the numbers on your phone's keypad, you will know how many people on Silvertails have never heard of this award.

Well, when I looked at your question, you impliedly answered it in the next sentence.

So to answer your question, “yes”. 😜

But if your question is “who?”, I haven’t the foggiest!!
That's a clever answer actually. But it is a yes, so guess who.

i gave up and can't even find it via googling

so a brain teaser extraordinaire!

I give you a Clever for that winning entry, although it's not the one I had in mind! :)
As above, it's not soccer, not AFL...
It is a rugby league award... usually presented around this time of year. Cliffy has one, Tooves has one, DCE has one ...
Ken Jeong Yes GIF by The Masked Singer

Would it be Gordon Willoughby, of the Manly member voted, Gordon Willoughby medal fame per chance?

Or Roy Bull, for the clubs Best & Fairest award?

Last edited:
Leigh Matthews

Matthews was named "Player of the Century", inducted as an inaugural official Legend of the Australian Football Hall of Fame, the highest individual honour that can be bestowed upon a football personality. He was also named in both the AFL and Hawthorn Teams of the Century, in the forward pocket for the AFL and as rover for Hawthorn. In 2002, the AFLPA MVP award, of which Matthews was the inaugural recipient, was renamed the Leigh Matthews Trophy.

Nice one!

clive churchill won the clive churchill award!

who knew?

(besides ser8)
Correct! Awarded retrospectively, and posthumously. But awarded nevertheless!
"As part of the Centenary of League celebrations, the Clive Churchill Medal has been retrospectively awarded for man-of-the-match performances from season 1954, the first to feature mandatory grand finals. The first recipient from the 1954 season is the man for which the award was originally named, Clive Churchill."

And @Nordburg also correct! I had no idea that Leigh Matthews was in pretty much the same position. I just came across the Churchill one by accident. Just goes to show, you learn something every day :)

Correct! Awarded retrospectively, and posthumously. But awarded nevertheless!
"As part of the Centenary of League celebrations, the Clive Churchill Medal has been retrospectively awarded for man-of-the-match performances from season 1954, the first to feature mandatory grand finals. The first recipient from the 1954 season is the man for which the award was originally named, Clive Churchill."

And @Nordburg also correct! I had no idea that Leigh Matthews was in pretty much the same position. I just came across the Churchill one by accident. Just goes to show, you learn something every day :)

Well... I learnt two things (which means 2 things I already knew fell out of my brain).

But you had to 'almost' hand it to me with that one. cliffy , tooves, and dce being recipients made it easier to guess.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4