Jackson Hastings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought we looked better in attack with Cletus at 9 rather than Api against the Raiders. He just seems more direct and decisive with his service, and probably makes better decisions. I do think Api is probably better defensively, or more willing shall we say. In the small sample space we have witnessed so far then I feel there is more upside to Hastings.

Agreed that Hastings' delivery was better. Quicker, cleaner ball. But Api brings so much to the team - massive defence, huge energy and enthusiasm, 100% attitude at all times. Tough call... For the time being the balance is working, overall. Jackson off the bench, covering most backline possies?

I thought we looked better in attack with Cletus at 9 rather than Api against the Raiders. He just seems more direct and decisive with his service, and probably makes better decisions. I do think Api is probably better defensively, or more willing shall we say. In the small sample space we have witnessed so far then I feel there is more upside to Hastings.
Api might have a bigger hit in him defensively but Hastings misses a quarter of the tackles when he was playing regularly at the Roosters - 0.8 misses v Api's 4. Totally agree that Hastings came on and the attack started to click instantly.

I have massive wraps on Hastings ,interchange with Api is working great with both playing solid.But as soon as Hastings comes on our attack becomes more cohesive.I think we will start to see his minutes improve gradually.It looks like he has been told to go out there & "Do the basics" which he is doing .I think down the track with his minutes and confidence up we will see more of his natural playmaking style come out.I applaud Barrett on the way he seems to be handling the coaching & nurturing of Jackson..

From reading one of his recent interviews it sounds like he is embracing the "Utility" role and is loving his time on the Northern beaches & his place in the team.

After all of his former negative press ,it now looks like he has done a complete 180 (GE ,that's for you).

The added advantage is this year if one of our halves go down , I don't see us missing a beat.

(Isn't it nice when footy makes you happy again ??)

Last edited:
If it works, and it seems to be at the moment, then leave it be.

Api is a seasoned campaigner and is playing better than he was last year. Sure he has his deficiencies but he brings enthusiasm in attack and defence. Hastings is still learning his trade. Too easy to forget that at 21 years he's only a few months older than Kelly and less than a year older than Tom T. Api is 24.

If Hastings is handled well, he could turn into one of our very best, and the gradual step by step approach with increasing time in first grade, is giving him time to develop without copping the brutality at this stage of 80 minutes of heavy weight second rowers and props crushing him. He's destined for higher honours I believe, but incremental exposure in such a tough role as hooker (or 5/8 and half) wont hurt.

As a centre or full back, players are less exposed to the heavy forward play and can succeed earlier out wide. In the ruck its a brutal traffic jam. I think Barrett has it right.

Api might have a bigger hit in him defensively but Hastings misses a quarter of the tackles when he was playing regularly at the Roosters - 0.8 misses v Api's 4. Totally agree that Hastings came on and the attack started to click instantly.

only made about a quarter of the tackles that Api makes as well.

I think our 2 hookers should just have the same combo becuasr it's a winning combo..
This is a no brainer for me. Hastings is the real deal. Sign him up for a 5 year extension now before we lose him. He covers the 7,6 and 9 and will form the perfect halves partner with chez post green. That conversion hullo we need him on the park for 80 to win the comp
Look i think tonight showed hes a quality player should be re signed. But api again tonight was amazing and had some great runs and is the long term hooker. Atm we should keep same combos. Hastings play bench until green retires with i think could be a bit longer than 2 years. We can sign a bench hooker again when hastings moves to 6 so api still gets that 20min rest.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7