John Robot. Is he even human?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar

John Ribot interview, Part I: Toenails, bullets & death threats in Super League intimidation tactic​

In the first of an explosive two-part interview, former Super League CEO John Ribot opens up on depraved fans’ antics, Kerry Packer’s threat and the Ray Hadley ‘ambush’.
Dean Ritchie

April 2, 2021 - 6:53AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

John Ribot knew he had become the most hated man in Australian sport.

Nothing, though, prepared him for this.
Bullet casings arriving in the mail, along with envelopes full of toenails in between death threats sent by people he simply called “nutters”.
In an explosive interview, the former Super League CEO reveals for the first time, the level of anger towards him from fans loyal to the Australian Rugby League in the bitter dispute over control of the game.
In 1997, the game was split in two as eight disenfranchised clubs joined a 10-team Super League breakaway, while 12 clubs remained loyal to the ARL competition.
It divided fans and Ribot, the face of Super League, wore the brunt of their fury.

John Ribot knew he had become the most hated man in Australian sport.
Nothing, though, prepared him for this.
Bullet casings arriving in the mail, along with envelopes full of toenails in between death threats sent by people he simply called “nutters”.
In an explosive interview, the former Super League CEO reveals for the first time, the level of anger towards him from fans loyal to the Australian Rugby League in the bitter dispute over control of the game.
In 1997, the game was split in two as eight disenfranchised clubs joined a 10-team Super League breakaway, while 12 clubs remained loyal to the ARL competition.
It divided fans and Ribot, the face of Super League, wore the brunt of their fury.
John Ribot, former Super League, Brisbane Broncos and Melbourne Storm CEO, in Brisbane this week. Picture: Liam Kidston

John Ribot, former Super League, Brisbane Broncos and Melbourne Storm CEO, in Brisbane this week. Picture: Liam Kidston
The outrage got so bad it forced his employer, News Ltd — now News Corp, publisher of The Daily Telegraph — to place two security guards inside his Brisbane home and post a further two out front in a car.
Ribot, now 66, also reveals the conversation he shared with Rupert Murdoch where the News Corp executive chairman expressed concerns over ARL-aligned Kerry Packer’s powerful influence in Sydney.
Murdoch told Ribot, “If we had Kerry off shore we could fix this up very quickly.”
Ribot also details how he believed Channel 9 sabotaged him during his infamous on-air spat with Sydney radio’s Ray Hadley during a segment on The Footy Show in September, 1995.
BULLET CASINGS AND TOENAILS
Ribot and his then young family lived at The Gap in Brisbane, when four security guards appeared at the front door. Two walked inside, the other two took up positions out front. It was a frightening moment when Ribot realised just how much some fans hated him and Super League.
Although under siege from multiple sides, Ribot remained resilient. He never worried about himself, but did have concerns for his family’s safety.
News (Ltd) was very good, they protected me really well,” Ribot said.

“At its peak, we had security people – a few of them — in my house in Brisbane and in cars out the front. Half of the time I didn’t know what was going on but I knew News had my back.

“I remember my daughter saying ‘There’s people inside our house, Dad, what’s going on?’

“The security guards had their moments but they were very respectful. They didn’t expect to sit down and have dinner with us.

“The only thing that frightened me was more around my family. The last thing I wanted was for them to get embroiled in it. My daughters were very young then and they didn’t totally know what was going on. They just knew there was someone in the house. It just wasn’t pleasant.”

The security guards were seen as a necessary measure, given the worrying lengths people were going to in order to get at Ribot.

“I had a few death threats, they came through the mail,” Ribot said.

“There was this bloke who used to send me toe nails. I don’t know what that was all about.
Another bloke used to send me bullet shells. It was a bit crazy. That used to come through to our offices in Elizabeth Street (in Sydney).

“I also had a few phone calls but they were just nutters on the other end.

“My skin is thick and I knew that once I did something I believed was right then the only thing that was going to cure it was time.”

Even his Wikipedia profile says Ribot is “generally regarded as the most hated man in Australian Rugby League fraternity due to his involvement in the Super League war, which almost destroyed the game.”

“Luckily there was never a close call where I thought, ‘Jesus, thank God that didn’t happen’,” he said.

“The closest call was when we were playing a game at QEII Stadium and I was sitting next to the Brisbane Lord Mayor, Jim Soorley. A security call came through that they had just found footage where a bloke had come through the gates with a rifle.
I thought, ‘Bloody hell’. It was a guy who went to the rifle club – would you believe this — and just thought it was normal to carry a gun into the ground. It was a little unsettling.

“I knew (I wasn’t liked) and understood that. I understand their dislike because you’re taking something away from a family that has probably sat there for two or three generations. Then they see things decimated in front of them and then they think, ‘Wow, what’s going on here’. I get all that.”

John Ribot never read the room when it came to what the fans wanted. He was the face of an evil empire trying to steal our game and the damage he and his mob did destroyed the fabric of the game at the time.

His legacy will be the destruction of clubs like Wests, a club he played for, Balmain, Norths, Illawarra etc. Tearing apart the foundations of clubs and the outrageous and unsustainable money in the game that crippled clubs like ours.

I witnessed all this and saw how divided the game was and Ribot and his mob were responsible for this.

I am sure as well that Arko and Quayle had similar threats against them when they were fighting this battle. It was ugly and so bloody unnecessary!!

John Ribot never read the room when it came to what the fans wanted. He was the face of an evil empire trying to steal our game and the damage he and his mob did destroyed the fabric of the game at the time.

His legacy will be the destruction of clubs like Wests, a club he played for, Balmain, Norths, Illawarra etc. Tearing apart the foundations of clubs and the outrageous and unsustainable money in the game that crippled clubs like ours.

I witnessed all this and saw how divided the game was and Ribot and his mob were responsible for this.

I am sure as well that Arko and Quayle had similar threats against them when they were fighting this battle. It was ugly and so bloody unnecessary!!
Quayle hated Ribot and still does apparently....

"This was the flashpoint moment two powerful rugby league chief executives, at war over Super League, had to be physically separated – and John Quayle still hasn’t forgotten nor forgiven.
In part two of an exclusive interview, former Super League chief executive John Ribot revealed the emotional day on the fifth floor of the old NSWRL offices on Phillip Street, where he and Quayle, the then ARL chief executive, clashed heatedly.

The confrontation, primarily over Kerry Packer, became so intense, then ARL chairman Ken Arthurson raced from his office to intervene. Quayle’s then PA, Micki Braithwaite, watched on in shock.
Quayle still won’t excuse Ribot’s role in Super League. The pair were due to meet at a Newcastle Knights think-tank two years ago but Quayle pulled out, telling officials he “couldn’t be in the same room at Ribot”.
Quayle’s dislike for Ribot hasn’t subsided down through the years.

“It was only about two, maybe three years, Newcastle were looking at their coaches and getting their staff right and I was invited to go and speak with them, help them out, go and talk about football and expectations. Meet up with their sponsors as well,” Ribot said.

“I suppose 30 people would have turned up. It was a nice night.

“John Quayle was invited — he might have been Knights chairman at the time — and I was looking forward to seeing him.

“But John said he would never step foot in the same room as me."

Ribot has no clue how much he is still despised and resented for the damage they did to the game all so his precious News Filth donkeys could rule the roost. It leaves me cold what they did, their greed and lust for power and when you see Donkeys mark 2 in the Melbourne drizzle build under the same blue print and what that organisation had also got away with over the years it makes me wanna puke!

I still reckon till today we should have joined super league for the money.It was never going to last at least the club would have been cashed up.

yep a disgusting human being if ever there was one and in my mind a gutless player - fast but with the heart the size of a pea

Without knowing much about it all Was Ribot to blame?

If it wasnt for Murdoch there would not have been any super league money.

Follow the money to find the real cause.

But Rupert is a billionaire and untouchable so people find it easier to put all blame on Ribot i think.

We were all really pissed off at the time and some of the lads got a collection together. Unfortunately it was intercepted and never made it to Ribot...

images (9).jpeg

Without knowing much about it all Was Ribot to blame?

If it wasnt for Murdoch there would not have been any super league money.

Follow the money to find the real cause.

But Rupert is a billionaire and untouchable so people find it easier to put all blame on Ribot i think.
I could be wrong mate but I believe Ribot was the antagoniser and was in the ear of Murdoch for the money to do what they did. He is just as much if not more to blame as anyone else.
It ripped our game in two and I don't believe we (Manly) have ever fully recovered from it.

I remember Quayle being on Roy and HG's television show a few years after the SL civil war. They used to rib him and Arko mercilessly. Yet Roy Slaven (John Doyle) asked John Quayle a serious question along the lines of; "What would you do if you were locked in a room with John Ribot and a News Ltd executive (Hartigan? Kym Williams maybe) for two hours with a baseball bat?" Quayle considered for a moment and answered; "I wouldn't need two hours". My respect for Quayle grew heaps after that.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8