Josh Starling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There's not one consistently good Manly forward so far this year.

Starling is going as good as any of them.

COMMANDER said:
There's not one consistently good Manly forward so far this year.

Starling is going as good as any of them.

Outside of last night due to injury I think Chocs been consistently good this this year. Excluding last night he's been averaging 126m and 35 tackles per game. Only lopsided game for those 2 stats was the Tigers game, but we barely had the ball then he made over 50 tackles. I think Chocs workrate is so good these days it doesn't get the appreciation it should. If he's out for a few weeks the rest of the pack are going to have to lift their workrates to cover because one man won't be able to do it.

Starling ( and Choc etc ) have been there or thereabouts so far - apart from that Tigers game.

I'm concerned about Kingdog's absence too.

As the season progresses most teams will be defined largely by the injuries they do, or DON'T have.
Choc is just about the most important cog in our forward-wheel, so I'm concerned about his injury ....Though I was wrapt in Gifty's game last night...his best this year.

Guys like Starling, Hasson, JSL and Lui have the perfect chance to shine now and really establish their 1st grade careers.

Let's hope they all do.

Comparing with Tolman and Woods is a bit tough. They are amongst the top props statistically in the comp.

Other comparisons include:

Hit ups/ all run metres / tackles
Starling 10/94/20
Lawrence 10/88/30
Norrie 8/80/19
Snowden 10/108/23
Mason 10/103/18
Tamou 14/118/26
Mannah 12/124/24
Moimoi 9/82/16
Fritzel 11/96/26
Hunt 10/93/20
Rapira 11/107/26
Galloway 11/104/16
Moa 10/93/27
JWH 10/95/29

Considering his experience, price etc I think he's doing really well and will continue to improve. And his low error rate is a big plus. Can easily lose 50m with just one error so it's worth a lot.

I don't mind Starling, he has a low error rate; although, he has dropped the ball in both of the last two games - but overall low mistake rate. His metres are solid, but not a bend-the-line-back kind of guy. To be honest, I really think Sao and Jake T should be in the side to replace Lui and Horo.

I think Horo is just OK and apart from a strong start last year, has a high error rate. I would start JSL in his place and have Hasson, Sao, Jake T and Buhrer coming off the bench.

I honestly can't seeing us winning the come with our current forward pack - we will go close, but when the whips are cracking I don't see them getting us over the line. Sao and Jake T would give us that 'X' factor in my opinion.

No Horo and we lose of Friday. His lines off the ball are what stops the defense from sliding and allows Foran to make his choice on the left.

1st try Horo runs inside to assist in Stewart getting space.
2nd try Horo runs inside again to give Snake a bit more time and space
4th try Foran dummy's to Horo who runs outside the defender opening up the gap for Foran to score as they expected him to get the ball back on the anlge.
5th try Horo runs on the outside of Lui leaving him standing dead helping Buhrer score pretty much untouched.

He didn't win the game on his own but did help out in 4 of those tries.

Horos work and lines off the ball are better than his work on the ball.

I thought Starling was terrific on Friday night, and he's convinced me that he is a very good purchase. I'm not so convinced about Dunny Loo. When King returns I think Dunny Loo should revert to Reserve Grade.

[

"Care to elaborate? Give the kid a break.jeez. How many first grade games has he had."

It is an opinion like most things on here.Am I going to change my mind because you disagree? NO

Overall I think he is an average first grader with not a lot of potential

Cons:
No real speed or ability to move laterally
Zero second phase ability
Does not provide "impact" so he either starts or plays reggies which is not ideal

The above are rarely fixed by coaching or experience.

Pros

Gives 100% each week
Solid defender with low mistake rate.

I also base my opinion on what Manly needs to win comps,not just compete well.We are blessed with great players all across the park but our prop rotation is a little short at the moment but what side doesn't have weaknesses.Our backrow is made up of 3 tireless and tough roosters who do their level best to make up the shortfall and generally succeed.

Fluffy said:
No Horo and we lose of Friday. His lines off the ball are what stops the defense from sliding and allows Foran to make his choice on the left.

1st try Horo runs inside to assist in Stewart getting space.
2nd try Horo runs inside again to give Snake a bit more time and space
4th try Foran dummy's to Horo who runs outside the defender opening up the gap for Foran to score as they expected him to get the ball back on the anlge.
5th try Horo runs on the outside of Lui leaving him standing dead helping Buhrer score pretty much untouched.

He didn't win the game on his own but did help out in 4 of those tries.

Horos work and lines off the ball are better than his work on the ball.

Some good points there for sure; however, I think others like JSL could learn to run those lines and would probably attract the defenders more due to his size (but not over night, granted).

pjayz said:
Some good points there for sure; however, I think others like JSL could learn to run those lines and would probably attract the defenders more due to his size (but not over night, granted).
If his size is that impressive maybe some would be attracted overnight?

:huh:

SeaEagleRock8 said:
pjayz said:
If his size is that impressive maybe some would be attracted overnight?

:huh:
2V had no respect for size He was the dynamic atom within
If it was just about the size all big blokes would be super stars

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8