Just a mid-season slump

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
clontaago link said:
[quote author=Volley link=topic=183777.msg270445#msg270445 date=1277714278]
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=183777.msg270425#msg270425 date=1277709183]
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183777.msg270414#msg270414 date=1277704211]
[quote author=Volley link=topic=183777.msg270213#msg270213 date=1277630367]
I like the optimism. Personally, I think we're f**ked.
.. 2nd that...
[/quote]

Best we just chuck in the towel now then eh?...

Times like this I generally get out the old "You'll never walk alone" CD, dust myself off and then get behind the team to hopefully support them out of the slump..but each to their own I guess...
[/quote]

Yeah, good one. Me listening to an old CD will magically increase our forwards speed, reduce their age, give Hodkinson the ability to send someone through a hole, give T Rex a heart, make Robbo able to clock under 15 seconds over 100 metres, fix Brett Stewart's knee, Lyon's ankle, remove Dasler's risk aversion and love of taking our number 1 backrower and goal kicker off in a close game.

Yeah I might put on an old CD as well.
[/quote]

Do people still listen to CD's?

I agree Volley, dont see how that will help. However remember you cant have a negative opinion on anything Manly related!
[/quote]

Yeah, that's me with a big smile on my face walking away from games up and down the country, standing in the freezing cold, getting home at stupid hours, putting up with abuse and jeers from in-breds around the state and spending my hard earned on watching us chuck leads away and some players not performing to the best of their ability - why would I have anything negative to say about the team...? (FFS!)

Yes, we have some major issues as a team, yes there are improvements that can come and yes we have serious injury problems but going in to a game (or anything in life really...) with a mindset that you will "get F**cked" to quote the "sages" above generally means you'll get what you wish for?

Boys - Google the lyrics to You'll never walk alone and have a think for a wee while before using any excuse to go diving in and slagging off your team week in week out eh?

Constructive I can live with, dissapointment I can understand - continuous wholesale bagging....?

If we are so crap and you can't see any future why not go and support a "good" team?

Better still - Have a look back through your threads on here and re-post something good that you said about your team - it might cheer you up a bit?

We are in a slump. I agree. And the reason is the lack of domination by our forwards. Why? I haven't got a clue and it is puzzling and we will continue to lose until they lift their intensity. The high point was against St George and since then it has been all downhill. The injuries are in the backs so I'm not going to say our season has been cruelled due to them, though obviously it hasn't helped. I still think we would have picked up more wins if we had dominated up the middle.

Slump co-incided with the Mouse pulling out injured pre-Souths match in Round 8. Is he back against Canberra ???

I liked our intermittent deep and fast passing against Penrith and also wondered why Manly stand deep in defence and flat attack - the reverse is what works. Also I dont understand why Forran or Ballin or Hodko dont kick bombs anymore.  The last tackle play is boring and non productive in my view.  Hodko obviously can kick high and precise as he showed with the pin point Field Goals.

The break will do us all good and may the Players all forget the last few months and just enjoy playing again.  It is fun and fun for us to watch boys  :)

DSM5 link said:
MPC, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we beat the Dragons?

Yes we beat Saints and we done it after 9 players backed up from rep footy. So that goes to show that we have the team to win. Our attitude is letting us down at the moment. It's not that our forwards are too slow or our halfback is no good. We have the ability and we have proved that. This game is all about attitude. If you are mentaly tough, you win.

Times like this I generally get out the old "You'll never walk alone" CD, dust myself off and then get behind the team to hopefully support them out of the slump..but each to their own I guess...
[/quote]

C'mon Vid, we don't want to be waiting 20 years for another title! ;D

HappilyManly link said:
The break will do us all good and may the Players all forget the last few months and just enjoy playing again.  It is fun and fun for us to watch boys  :)
Love your attitude!

As for the slump, which team in the history of the game has never had a slump? Melbourne is very consistent but they are an artificial abomination, not a real team.

Our team was widely acknowledged as one of the most consistent in the comp over the first couple of months, even though we had a few narrow losses. This was despite a devastating injury toll losing Snake & Wolf almost before a ball was kicked.

It is entirely natural that our intensity & concentration would waver a bit at some point because it is impossible to maintain a peak effort for the whole season. The fact is the slump has coincided with the loss of further key players Matai & Lyon and some disruption with rep duties especially for a few forwards. I don't understand why anyone is surprised at this!  ???

It's how we bounce back that is important and I'm sure we will be up for the Raiders.

Bradza link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

OUCH! Classic Bradza LOL

I wouldn't call second half fadeouts in just about every game of the season as a form slump, it's a big problem.

Bradza link said:

Times like this I generally get out the old \"You'll never walk alone\" CD, dust myself off and then get behind the team to hopefully support them out of the slump..but each to their own I guess...

[/quote]

Hahahaha its funny because its true

vidmar link said:
Yeah, that's me with a big smile on my face walking away from games up and down the country, standing in the freezing cold, getting home at stupid hours, putting up with abuse and jeers from in-breds around the state and spending my hard earned on watching us chuck leads away and some players not performing to the best of their ability - why would I have anything negative to say about the team...? (FFS!)

Yes, we have some major issues as a team, yes there are improvements that can come and yes we have serious injury problems but going in to a game (or anything in life really...) with a mindset that you will \"get F**cked\" to quote the \"sages\" above generally means you'll get what you wish for?

Boys - Google the lyrics to You'll never walk alone and have a think for a wee while before using any excuse to go diving in and slagging off your team week in week out eh?

Constructive I can live with, dissapointment I can understand - continuous wholesale bagging....?

If we are so crap and you can't see any future why not go and support a \"good\" team?

Better still - Have a look back through your threads on here and re-post something good that you said about your team - it might cheer you up a bit?

Haha, what a pile of ****.

It amazes me that you can actually believe that by me stating that Manly are gone will actually contribute to them tanking, or that you listening to a CD will help them out in anyway? Amazing.

"If we are so crap and you can't see any future why not go and support a "good" team?"

You being delusional, and me being slightly negative/realistic doesn't make you a better fan.

Travelling around the country to see them play probably does though  ;)

I thought this was a supporters group. If you are a true supporter, you back the team through thick and thin, win or lose. It's laughable some of the negative crap that is written by so called supporters on here.

Maybe we should call it the hangers on group.

MPC I completely agree with you.  Fans must remember that The Great Sea Eagles have bought a Grand Final win for us in every decade for the last four.  Much more consistent than any other team in the modern era.  I'm happy that we're consistently in the top eight and have more than an average shot at a title.  Backing the team through the thin is a must.  Critical reviews are good, but downright defeatism is not.

Someone voicing their opinion of how we are travelling or where he thinks we will end up does not mean he doesnt back the team.

I think we are struggling this year and will be lucky to make the top 6.

Does that mean I wont be cheering the boys home every week, not at all.

My wife almost has to make plans to leave the house every time we play, because I get that excited cheering the boys home (and occasionaly abusing the refs) that she cant handle it.

You dont have to blindly believe that Manly are on their game and will win the comp to be a "true supporter".

Same at my place Douggie. The missus takes the kids to her parents ! Hahahaha..

I have been known to throw myself across the dining room table in a tantrum.....it was the game against The Dragqueens....we were up by 30 odd or something, their fans started leaving in droves - and they came back and won !

LoL

Volley link said:
I like the optimism. Personally, I think we're f**ked.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA... Sorry, But i had to laugh!
...Part of me agrees... But i'm holding onto hope that it's just a slump!
We need all players back on the field- to give it a red hot go!!

DSM5 link said:
MPC I completely agree with you.  Fans must remember that The Great Sea Eagles have bought a Grand Final win for us in every decade for the last four.  Much more consistent than any other team in the modern era.  I'm happy that we're consistently in the top eight and have more than an average shot at a title.  Backing the team through the thin is a must.  Critical reviews are good, but downright defeatism is not.

Yeah good philosophy Mr 80% of my posts are hating on Orford...

Good to read you're still carrying the torch Volley.  As I correctly said throughout 09 in my critical reviews, Orford was rubbish and it appears the club's think tank thought so too.  He was greedy and his stupid resistance to making any sort of rational decision at the end of 09 led to the halfback problems we are experiencing today.  End of story really.       

Volley link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183777.msg270754#msg270754 date=1277852231]

Yeah good philosophy Mr 80% of my posts are hating on Orford...
[/quote]

Mine too - he was overrated & did nothing the last season he played for us. 20 to 30 metre line drop outs & 10 metre gains from penalties.

Thanks for 08 but good riddance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4