keep politics out of the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
At least a Victorian State Gov't won't have any climate, energy, social, or gender issues that would make anybody protest against them ... I am sure all Netballers will maintain their integrity and call out Dan for any issue they consider appropriate ...

Or do I think they will all suddenly pull their heads in ....

I wonder if any of the netballers are madly searching through the archives to find anything said by the Gov't 40 years ago that might outrage them ...
Every single government has skeletons in their closets , it’s just so incredibly hypocritical of NA to diss a private sponsor and take on a government one who is hardly “ squeaky clean”.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sports people are paid to play sport and not make political or religious statements. Clubs need to ensure contractual terms are clear. No point signing a player that won’t play because he or she will take issue with sponsors. They need to realise the Golden goose will die without sponsorship.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
I'll admit I've not read through all the posts but sport and politics have always...always been intertwined.

Thus is life
Agreed. It's incredibly naive and lazy to throw around a slogan like sports and politics shouldn't mix. Wherever you have power, conflict and leverage (and all three exist in sport), you have politics... whether it's parents on the sideline or politicians proper.

rj90

Yeah, Nah.
Tipping Member
People don't want sports & politics to mix when it comes to agendas or causes that they don't believe in or wish to support.
Keep the woke, lefty, multicultural, gay / trans / indigenous sympathisers out of the game.
But froth over the prospect of a right winged Liberal Government throwing $$ at a Brookie upgrade.
The two will always be intertwined.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Agreed. It's incredibly naive and lazy to throw around a slogan like sports and politics shouldn't mix. Wherever you have power, conflict and leverage (and all three exist in sport), you have politics... whether it's parents on the sideline or politicians proper.
So many contexts to how politics and sport could possibly mix together.
In respect to the rainbow jersey I don’t think Manly’s position was inevitable in relation to this political context. It was more a case of naïvely leading with the chin. The subsequent expectations from certain elements for all the players to have to oblige or face a form of public ridicule effectively creates more division when the objective was to bring everyone together. If one wants to look at fault of any player who did not oblige should also maybe look within themselves and their own intolerance.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
People don't want sports & politics to mix when it comes to agendas or causes that they don't believe in or wish to support.
Keep the woke, lefty, multicultural, gay / trans / indigenous sympathisers out of the game.
But froth over the prospect of a right winged Liberal Government throwing $$ at a Brookie upgrade.
That’s self perpetuating victim hood speak.

highlandeagle

Where eagles soar
It's the left wokey flag bearers that are the sooks. They are outraged at any historical injustice to fit their never ending crusade of being the victim and harness the feeling of self gratifying importance. While the rest of us just forgive, move on and try to enjoy sport.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
I think there is some confusion as to what is generally meant by the statement .. "Keep politics out of Sport".

To me, it doesn't have anything to do with the Gov't funding of Infrastructure ... is politics involved in where and which stadium is built, of course ... but Gov't also funds roads, Hospitals, Pensions, welfare, schools, the Arts .. and every other thing in our lives ... you may as well say politics is involved in all those things as well ... but that is their purpose in life. ... and funding and grants will always be politicised.

What I believe is the meaning .. is that Sporting bodies, sports teams and sportsman shouldn't use their sport to make political statements or protests .. they are welcome to do it as individuals ... but speaking on behalf of a sport is just wrong ...

Perhaps someone can come up with a better discription ..

chuckee

Formerly CJAeagle
The usual clan trying to put words in our mouths and bundle regular politics into the conversation.
Funding and government in sport, be it political, have always been a part of sport.

Social political issues that often have opposing views in society should be left out of the sport.

Unbelievable the narrative that some around here continue to play. Majority of Manly fans I can assure you have moved on from the issue and don’t want to see it again, sorry to burst your bubble but a few cry babies around here don’t make up the big percentage of Manly fans.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
It's the left wokey flag bearers that are the sooks. They are outraged at any historical injustice to fit their never ending crusade of being the victim and harness the feeling of self gratifying importance. While the rest of us just forgive, move on and try to enjoy sport.
You mean like you've just forgiven and moved on from this debate that's been going on here for a few months now?

rj90

Yeah, Nah.
Tipping Member

Is it better to be outraged over a rainbow strip than historical injustice?

Your mob forgive and move on? Laughable.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Is it better to be outraged over a rainbow strip than historical injustice?

Your mob forgive and move on? Laughable.
I know you are clearly not interested in any facts that may question your dogged beliefs.
What about our relationship with Japan ? My grandfather and many of his generation were prisoners of war and treated inhumanely outside the Geneva convention during WW2 and here we are now planning to conduct military exercises with them in the top end. Note Japan is the only country that has attempted to invade Australia in the modern era and here we are now joining forces as allies. The Japanese virtually destroyed my grandfather’s life but I think this union with Japan makes sense as we need to forgive and forget and move on for the better. Not wallow in resentment… and cry victim at every opportunity….

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
You mean like you've just forgiven and moved on from this debate that's been going on here for a few months now?
Seriously what is there to even forgive? I mean in this debate? What some differences in opinion being called a numpty or archaic dinosaur and the back and forth ….lol if that is something that would warrant the need for forgiveness I am not sure you have really lived. ..surely you can’t be serious…. I don’t feel the utmost resentment towards anybody here. I really don’t know anybody well enough to form such an opinion…. We are just throwing opinions around mainly anonymously online…

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
@HK_Eagle I forgive you buddy. Even though we differ in opinion on a lot of non footy issues I can appreciate the thought you put into a lot of your posts.

Sending hugs to Hong Kong…..

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Seriously what is there to even forgive? I mean in this debate? What some differences in opinion being called a numpty or archaic dinosaur and the back and forth ….lol if that is something that would warrant the need for forgiveness I am not sure you have really lived. ..surely you can’t be serious…. I don’t feel the utmost resentment towards anybody here. I really don’t know anybody well enough to form such an opinion…. We are just throwing opinions around mainly anonymously online…
You do realise I was pointing out the irony of the post I quoted? You do realise I wasn’t necessarily endorsing the argument, just pointing out the hypocrisy? You do realise you too could have pointed this out in response to the original post I was replying too?

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
@HK_Eagle I forgive you buddy. Even though we differ in opinion on a lot of non footy issues I can appreciate the thought you put into a lot of your posts.

Sending hugs to Hong Kong…..
Thanks Red. I agree we don’t see eye to eye on many of these current issues, but that’s called being human. Respect to you!

Last edited:

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Reflecting on the topic and the discussion that’s unfolded in this thread, I was struck by the irony (is that the right word, I wonder?). The great majority of posts are partisan and people standing up for a side rather than treating arguments on their merit. I think politics is far more pervasive in our lives than we care to acknowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16