Kick Returns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Before I start, let me confirm Snake Stewart as my favourite player over the past 35 years as a Manly supporter.
The problems returning kicks at the moment are not just obvious, but making tackles 4-5 & 6 less unlikely to challenge the defence or...gain field position.
People under estimate the impact Taufua has in these situations & Matai has done on tackle 2 over the past decade....

His numerous leg injuries have seen Snake's kick returns become the weakest part of his game in recent years. We know that and accept it because with him out there we are still a better side. But I honestly thought he ran the ball back well tonight.

It's kind of heartbreaking to watch. What do you say to a champion who's virtually screwed his body to bring success to our club ? He's earned the right to choose the time of his retirement I just hope he doesn't do more chronic damage in the mean time.

The whole Snake issue confuses me. His kick returns in general are very poor, but have been for years, and he has lost pace etc in recent times. Yet we function better with him on the field. His communication is A1 and he has the ability to pass very effectively, but again we aren't seeing a lot of that (Also hard when we aren't playing well).

I hope that Tommy is working closely with Snake and the training staff to get his deficiencies cleared up. And they appear to be the chat (will come with confidence) and then positioning and defence (I think this is improving, but above all he needs to be desperate in defence).

His numerous leg injuries have seen Snake's kick returns become the weakest part of his game in recent years. We know that and accept it because with him out there we are still a better side. But I honestly thought he ran the ball back well tonight.
Been the weakest part of his game since day one.

People keep harping on how much better Manly defend and play with Brett in the squad---this should be the case given how long he has been our FB and being an experience senior player who other players respect.

Problem is we can sit back and just stagnate at the "improved" Manly performances with Brett at the back, (relative to the short term options we have had in his place over the years) which are not going to be ground breaking performances just steady---- or start preparing for the future which is obviously happening as we speak.

Brett is no longer or rarely ever a game breaker, more a steady safe influence at the back---you will get pockets of class here and there but for the most part he will just blend in doing his role in an experienced manner.

Personally i don't see a need for Brett from next year, yes we play better with Brett at the back but he is not the game breaker or a constant danger to the defensive line that will bring us another premiership.

He was never Inglis. But he used to return the ball better. I remember a try off a drop out that won a game for us against Souths on a Sunday afternoon 2008.

He is looking for wingers every time. Having said that after watching Tom T at centre he should stay there. Too big a body for the fullback long term a bit like Inglis. I'd like josh Hoffman if available.

Won't be an issue once Tom becomes fullback next year, and if we get a good winger like Mansour we will be fine. And Tafua has a great kick return. Not an issue, snake is though.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8