Post-Game Discussion Knights v Manly [Round 13, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Knights
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 McDonald Jones Stadium
28 May 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Fitzsimons made the pertinent observation that Ponga was not selected for QLD over concerns about his head knocks. But no problem for Oldcastle on the weekend.

Early onset dementia! Kalyn Ponga! Come on down!*

*He will probably need his dad to get him down to the stage.

Schuster was terrible in the second half. Made mistakes in the first half but he offered plenty of threat, and you'd take that for someone honing his craft. But he completely lost the plot in the second half.

Needs to learn that grinding for field position with high percentage plays will also lead to results rather than stifling the play trying to conjure something from nothing (DCE is also guilty of this in periods)

Koulas worst game in first grade so far, Parker is starting to get found out laterally more and more. Garrick should be fullback - Weekes isn't ready and I don't think Johns ever will be. Forwards very good, I think Aloiai at lock is not the answer.

Olakauatu was outstanding in providing defensive cover, I think his utility value is exceptional.

Fitzsimons made the pertinent observation that Ponga was not selected for QLD over concerns about his head knocks. But no problem for Oldcastle on the weekend.

Early onset dementia! Kalyn Ponga! Come on down!*

*He will probably need his dad to get him down to the stage.
How he was allowed to stay on the ground has got me amazed. Rules for some. Like someone said he is a protected species

We were not allowed to win today, sin bin is a horrible joke, try that gets them ahead is a knock on, so sick how bent the game is!!!
It was credit to us that we hung in for as long as we did. We won the forward battles but got ruthlessly exposed in the backs. Both Newy wingers along with Bradman owned us yesterday.

Schuster was terrible in the second half. Made mistakes in the first half but he offered plenty of threat, and you'd take that for someone honing his craft. But he completely lost the plot in the second half.

Needs to learn that grinding for field position with high percentage plays will also lead to results rather than stifling the play trying to conjure something from nothing (DCE is also guilty of this in periods)

Koulas worst game in first grade so far, Parker is starting to get found out laterally more and more. Garrick should be fullback - Weekes isn't ready and I don't think Johns ever will be. Forwards very good, I think Aloiai at lock is not the answer.

Olakauatu was outstanding in providing defensive cover, I think his utility value is exceptional.
Agree Gauc's defence was brilliant, but he still isn't maxing out in attack I think. Seems like he's buggered so much from defending that he doesn't have the energy to run full pelt when we get the ball. I guess that's a reflection of our inability to maintain possession and build pressure.

Agree Gauc's defence was brilliant, but he still isn't maxing out in attack I think. Seems like he's buggered so much from defending that he doesn't have the energy to run full pelt when we get the ball. I guess that's a reflection of our inability to maintain possession and build pressure.
I have seen him getting gassed before - last year when Foran was playing halfback and actually feeding him good ball (unlike DCE) Olakauatu was smashing the line so much he got totally exhausted by the end of the match. Definitely need to make sure we are utilising him properly without blunting his impact.

Quite liked the effort. The unity seemed there as there
froggy as captain was the highlight without doubt
and fainu ensuring Tuilagi loses his spot is a step forward. He is adjusting to grade very well.
I thought when oku, sam and lawman out there together we looked ok
keppies best in a while and seemed most likely in the late stages,
paseka and sipley just doing what they do in 23 well
defence at times was special
Yeah, I've only just seen the game and I thought the effort was well and truly there. I was reading the comments during and after the game and I thought we was must've been terrible. But geeez some of the ref decisions were ordinary. Forward passes and the 10 min for Koula a bit over the top and at such crucial time. And the 6 agains were so inconsistent (for both teams). But I thought our defence was pretty good without Jake. It was our attack that was lacking again. We fell back into the same problems we've had this year when we have a spine that hasn't worked together. We looked disorganised and couldn't build pressure or finish off on their line. Johns just doesn't offer anything and the miss on that d*ck Gamble was not good. I noticed that Andrew Johns had no comment at all about how Johns plays. The silence was deafening.

But I think you're right. They looked liked they were hanging in there for each other. Just not enough ball or polish to score enough points. Crokes was good and tried his heart out again and Fainu needs to stay in 1st Grade. I think all the forwards were pretty good for the most part, altho I think Condon struggles to give us any go forward.

If we can somehow stay close to the 8 after SOO is over and we get everyone back fit to play, I still think we can make a run for the Finals.

Last edited:
The game was there to win but the lack of experience in 1/2’s cost the team , Johns offers nothing he tries but he is not up to it , Schuster couldn’t do it all but still shows he can , Forwards were good though the team didn’t capitalise on it and that goes back to the 1/2’s
Like a lot of mentioned how does Ponga not go for a HIA when a player gets sin binned and on report
I like SOO but wow it can effect a team If DCE plays I think Manly win , It’s just beyond me cause the 2 points can make a difference from making the 8 or not , Why should a team be disadvantage or advantaged by a mid season rep games

The game was there to win but the lack of experience in 1/2’s cost the team , Johns offers nothing he tries but he is not up to it , Schuster couldn’t do it all but still shows he can , Forwards were good though the team didn’t capitalise on it and that goes back to the 1/2’s
Like a lot of mentioned how does Ponga not go for a HIA when a player gets sin binned and on report
I like SOO but wow it can effect a team If DCE plays I think Manly win , It’s just beyond me cause the 2 points can make a difference from making the 8 or not , Why should a team be disadvantage or advantaged by a mid season rep games
Yep, agree.
Schuster tried hard but obviously showed he had little trust in Johns as he kept switching from side to side to play first receiver. This ultimately tired him out and made him a sitting duck for the Newcastle defence as a) he was buggered and b) they knew Johns just asked no questions.
Schu overplayed his hand at crucial times - one where he gave them an easy 7 tackle set that ended up being something like a 14 tackle set with repeat sets and the glory play on tackle two for Garrick.
Sure he's a genius if it comes off but it didn't and just when we'd started to get on top we needed to maintain possession at their end - another easy out.
This led to them getting back the ascendency and us under the pump.

I couldn't fault his effort or endeavour but it shows how much we missed another point of attack, we were rudderless imo so that needs to fall back on the coaching staff somewhat.

We scored two tries from intercepts and one from a kick but apart from that we offered little to their goal line defence.

Onto SOO, yes it's a necessary evil and the luck of the draw who you play and when you get the bye.
We were extremely unlucky this year that Ponga ( and Gagai ) weren't selected for Qld, if Ponga doesn't play I don't think they win, he had a point to prove and his class made the difference.
We were missing our three most influential players ( if Jake's fit he plays SOO ), just one of them plays and I dare say we come away with a win.
We get the bye this week AFTER SOO as does the Knights who between us would normally provide 5/6 players to which is a decent percentage that would normally cancel each other out but they got lucky by getting to keep Ponga and Gagai.

Last edited:
Update to Post #1

Sea Eagles Judiciary News:

Manly centre Tolutau Koula has been charged with a Careless High Tackle offence following his side's loss to the Knights on Sunday.

Koula, who was sin binned in the second-half of Sunday's match for the offence involving Newcastle fullback Kalyn Ponga, has been charged with a Grade 1 Careless High Tackle and has been fined $1,000 with an early guilty plea.

Update to Post #1

Manly centre Tolutau Koula has been charged with a Careless High Tackle offence following his side's loss to the Knights on Sunday.

Koula, who was sin binned in the second-half of Sunday's match for the offence involving Newcastle fullback Kalyn Ponga, has been charged with a Grade 1 Careless High Tackle and has been fined $1,000 with an early guilty plea.

1685349111013.png

Hello...is it me you're looking for.

Update to Post #1

View attachment 23930
Hello...is it me you're looking for.
???????

What has Harper got to do with my post that you quoted?

Sorry I couldn't myself. I think Harper would have been named in the lineup if Koula was suspended, which would have been a bad start to the week. lol. So it was a relief.
I don't want to see Harper anywhere near the NRL side ever again and that goes likewise for Cooper Johns too.

Yep, agree.
Schuster tried hard but obviously showed he had little trust in Johns as he kept switching from side to side to play first receiver. This ultimately tired him out and made him a sitting duck for the Newcastle defence as a) he was buggered and b) they knew Johns just asked no questions.
Schu overplayed his hand at crucial times - one where he gave them an easy 7 tackle set that ended up being something like a 14 tackle set with repeat sets and the glory play on tackle two for Garrick.
Sure he's a genius if it comes off but it didn't and just when we'd started to get on top we needed to maintain possession at their end - another easy out.
This led to them getting back the ascendency and us under the pump.

I couldn't fault his effort or endeavour but it shows how much we missed another point of attack, we were rudderless imo so that needs to fall back on the coaching staff somewhat.

We scored two tries from intercepts and one from a kick but apart from that we offered little to their goal line defence.

Onto SOO, yes it's a necessary evil and the luck of the draw who you play and when you get the bye.
We were extremely unlucky this year that Ponga ( and Gagai ) weren't selected for Qld, if Ponga doesn't play I don't think they win, he had a point to prove and his class made the difference.
We were missing our three most influential players ( if Jake's fit he plays SOO ), just one of them plays and I dare say we come away with a win.
We get the bye this week AFTER SOO as does the Knights who between us would normally provide 5/6 players to which is a decent percentage that would normally cancel each other out but they got lucky by getting to keep Ponga and Gagai.
Yeah the razzle dazzle second tackle kicks that DCE and Schuster do to the wings aren't great, they need to be icing them 100% of the time (I don't recall Melbourne screwing it up when they had Addo Carr) and they aren't.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4