Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I’m not suggesting I agree with the idea of Schuster at lock but what is it going to take for you to concede that lock and second row are not the same anymore and haven’t been for years? The lock also ball plays so when people suggest Schu to lock, it’s because he can throw a selective pass (something the modern lock does smack bang in the middle of the field).

Interesting LC. Another on this site suggested lock is nothing like it was whereby it was more like a backrower. I personally see the role of lock as a rover, a player best suited to playing an extra man in the backline, but not a ball player. That's why I think Croker would make a good lock. I've noted him following DCE on occasions and scoring off his plays. That to me is what a lock should be doing, backing up the half and roving as an extra man. They also need to be good defenders, again a skill Croker has. Lock though is not a ball playing role, though on ocasions they may make such plays as Glenn Stewart did. But he wasnt a ball player, rather a clever forward who also had some ball skills. What you have in Schuster is a natural for five eighth. A player in the style of Lyons. His primary skill is as a ball player, setting up supports. Put him somewhere else and that skill is diminished for no other reason than he has less involvement in setting up play. If you watched carefully in 2021, Hasler had him often playing outside Foran as a second five eighth in attack. That's what opened space for the backline. But he was being worn out by defensive requirements and beefing up to maintain a forward role.

Now Latu may or may not be as classy and then there has to be a rethink. Personally I'd have him at half.

This animal is different Bearfax, if you recall his brother Manaise and how quickly he adjusted to the NRL, this kid is every bit as good.....imo better.

Latu is not Manese, Max, any more than your brother is you. We all have different genetic makeups, but he may have those elements displayed by Manese. Templating based on family traits rarely works. Brett Stewart was a natural immediately, Glenn took time. Turbo is a freakish attacking player, Jake a defender. Bubo different again also taking time The three Chapel brothers were each quite different. Latu may make it straight away. But expectations breed disappointment, like we've seen with so many player's with promise. Some are immediate successes, others take time. Latu may be a champion, but I've heard that so often before. Wait and see and hopefully he's given time to develop.

I think the shoe is probably better suited to 13. I doubt at 36 years old or whatever dce will be, he would want to be one off the ruck against the big boys lol
I think DCE would agree with you @KNUCKLES But just because DCE may have number 13 on his back doesn't mean he has to spend 80 minutes defending in the middle. I would have him defending two off the ruck, and bring Schuster in one spot in defence.

These days the number on the back isn't as important as the role of each player within the team dynamic. There is no reason that DCE at 13 couldn't remain a focus in attack, with L Fainu on his right and Schuster on his left. As a ball-playing focus in attack, DCE could also play either side of the middle, and link with Turbo et al anywhere on the field.

I also believe combinations are more important than jersey numbers, and ultimately a combination of GCKT, DCE, L Fainu and Schuster in 2025 (with Humphries off the bench), could be an unstoppable playmaking combination.

I think DCE would agree with you @KNUCKLES But just because DCE may have number 13 on his back doesn't mean he has to spend 80 minutes defending in the middle. I would have him defending two off the ruck, and bring Schuster in one spot in defence.

These days the number on the back isn't as important as the role of each player within the team dynamic. There is no reason that DCE at 13 couldn't remain a focus in attack, with L Fainu on his right and Schuster on his left. As a ball-playing focus in attack, DCE could also play either side of the middle, and link with Turbo et al anywhere on the field.

I also believe combinations are more important than jersey numbers, and ultimately a combination of GCKT, DCE, L Fainu and Schuster in 2025 (with Humphries off the bench), could be an unstoppable playmaking combination.
Agree that is one hell of a combination in attack but we would need to recruit another Jake style middle, someone capable of 40+ tackles with very few misses. If only we could find our own Cotter/Hopgood.

Latu is not Manese, Max, any more than your brother is you. We all have different genetic makeups, but he may have those elements displayed by Manese. Templating based on family traits rarely works. Brett Stewart was a natural immediately, Glenn took time. Turbo is a freakish attacking player, Jake a defender. Bubo different again also taking time The three Chapel brothers were each quite different. Latu may make it straight away. But expectations breed disappointment, like we've seen with so many player's with promise. Some are immediate successes, others take time. Latu may be a champion, but I've heard that so often before. Wait and see and hopefully he's given time to develop.
I can't argue with 90% of your post Bearfax, apart from the style of player Latu is, which is similar to Manase but even sharper.....is he as tough, well we need to wait and see but I can assure you he is already 1 of the strongest players you will find his weight and size.
The way he is being time with Blacktown the big men and some with NRL experience is perfect for now.

Last edited:

Yeah but a lock defends either side of the ruck, depending where the numbers are needed. Which is why they are first off the ruck. Easier transition. You can't rely on a half to defend 80 in the middle whilst leading and organising a team around the park in attack. And be effective. If there's a half around that can do that at the highest level. The guy would be worth 2 mil a season lol. And if it's not Schuster who fills the void in defence. Your two props are already in the middle with your hooker. Then who is it? Seems like it could get a but confusing for defensive units

Has the Shooey .. "cemented" .. his spot in the 13 yet you reckon ??
Nope ,done Sweet FA when relied upon.
A few flashes of brilliance is miles away from a dependable ,consistent first grade half.
(Which is what his position calls for )

With Tom likely gone for the season it certainly would be a good opportunity to bring Latu into the FG side even just coming off the bench as a utility. If we get smashed by the Storm this weekend our final chances will likely be next to Zero.

I can't argue with 90% of your post Bearfax, apart from the style of player Latu is, which is similar to Manase but even sharper.....is he as tough, well we need to wait and see but I can assure you he is already 1 of the strongest players you will find his weight and size.
The way he is being time with Blacktown the big men and some with NRL experience is perfect for now.

Yep. He looks the goods. Hope we can keep him. Certainly Manly think he's got what it takes otherwise they wouldn't have paid him so much as a junior. And you're probably right. He might explode onto the scene. But anecdotally, I recall Albert Hopoate being declared potentially the best of the Hopoate clan and a future star. Super star in the juniors but in first grade struggled for a few years. Doing great now down in Canberra on the wing and I think he'll get better, but remember the disappointment expressed by so many on this site when he first came to first grade expecting an immediate success. Sometime that next step to the big time takes a little more than skill and dominating in the lower grades. I'm quietly optimist he'll be outstanding. But maybe not immediately. Patience with this one

Yep. He looks the goods. Hope we can keep him. Certainly Manly think he's got what it takes otherwise they wouldn't have paid him so much as a junior. And you're probably right. He might explode onto the scene. But anecdotally, I recall Albert Hopoate being declared potentially the best of the Hopoate clan and a future star. Super star in the juniors but in first grade struggled for a few years. Doing great now down in Canberra on the wing and I think he'll get better, but remember the disappointment expressed by so many on this site when he first came to first grade expecting an immediate success. Sometime that next step to the big time takes a little more than skill and dominating in the lower grades. I'm quietly optimist he'll be outstanding. But maybe not immediately. Patience with this one
This time 100% with you Bearfax, but in fairness young Hoppa had horrific injuries that effected his greatest asset - Speed.
He was a gun player and respect to him for still cracking NRL, but only 70% of the player he would have been imo.
you are spot on though, the step up has much more than just talent to make it, the discipline, physicallity, extra training, general pressure has definitely seen many "potential stars" not crack it.
The sad part is watching Manly underperforming and looking for that extra "spark" to get us back on track.....then we start looking through the players in our backyard including these unproven rookies who can maybe add something ?
But as you state, very important not to throw them into the pot at boiling point as not the way to nurture them fairly even though he seems a tough little nut with a mature head, though the temptation is there watching this side on the slide....but in reality, you are right with this point :wait:

Very good acceleration/speed likes to use the dummy and step with a nice short kicking game. Might be able to cover center or dummy half from an attacking perspective so could be a good utility player while waiting for a chance in the halves.

I hope it doesn't come to a gutho/turbo scenario where we have to let one go, tough choices ahead but i think keeping both players is the best option.

MANLY STAR GIVEN PERMISSION TO LEAVE
Manly have granted boom youngster Latu Fainu permission to negotiate with rival clubs despite being in the middle of the richest deal ever inked by a teenager.

Fainu signed a four-year contract with the Sea Eagles in 2021 just months after his 16th birthday which put the young half on track to earn the most money of any teen in rugby league history.

Despite the fact he is progressing well through Manly’s junior grades, the club has granted Fainu permission to move on at season’s end as the salary cap starts to bite the Sea Eagles.

Fainu’s brother Samuela also has 12 months left on his contract but he too could join Latu out of the club with the pair expressing a desire to play alongside each other long-term.

Wests Tigers have loomed as the frontrunners to land the brothers with the Tigers already having another Fainu on their books. Sione Fainu joined the Tigers midway through last year from Manly with the 21-year-old prop yet to make his NRL debut.

New Tigers head of recruitment Scott Fulton remains close to the Fainu family given his former role at the Sea Eagles.

The Dolphins have also been linked to them.

Latu was due to come into Manly’s top 30 squad next year but with Daly Cherry-Evans, Josh Schuster and Jake Arthur on their books they would struggle to carry another half.

Fainu was part of Manly’s undefeated Harold Matthews premiership winning side in 2021. He has stepped up into Manly’s NSW Cup side in recent weeks.

Samuela made his NRL debut earlier this year and has played five matches following in the footsteps of brother Manase who played 34 games for the Sea Eagles before he was jailed for at least four years and three months after he was last year found guilty of a stabbing outside a Mormon church.

WTF is going on at our club?

FMD this just tops the last 24 hours off. The Schu better come good on a consistent basis otherwise we are well and truly screwed. That’s it I’m sharpening my pitchfork.

FMD this just tops the last 24 hours off. The Schu better come good on a consistent basis otherwise we are well and truly screwed.
I think he (Schuster) will be going as well. They will all end up at the Tigers with Olakau'atu. I said as much a few weeks ago.

No chance of them all going to Tigers. Unless they have borrowed the Roosters Sombrero.
They will need 2.5 million to pull it off. They already have 1 million of that just from Luke Brooks. There is Joe Ofahengaue's money available as well. If they move on Charlie Staines, Daine Laurie and release one or two mid-range players they will cover that quite easily. I think it may have been planned since before Scott Fulton left the club. In fact, it was probably the reason they signed him. Let's wait and see where it ends up.

For F**k sake! I’ve been watching him very closely over the 2-3 years and I can confidently say letting him go will be the clubs biggest mistake they can make.
Unless the club is making cap space to sign someone like Harry Grant I’m not comfortable with this at all.
I understand we have Shu in 1st grade already but Latu will be one you can build a club around.
Very very disappointing

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11