Latu v Schu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Interesting. Where would that leave Gordie? Do you think they'd be sharing the role? Tough to know as the game keeps changing. One year it seems reasonable to to have 2 DMs, then the rules change and maybe it's not necessary. A bit hard to plan for the future these days.
Yeah I was quite surprised myself. Big fan of Jamie. Just came back from injury and have again been impressed with his steady and composed style of play at 7 - I would have thought this was one of the missing ingredients for us.

Re Gordie, I'm sure he is the heir apparent for the 9 at this stage. I'm assuming Jamie will be our 2nd hooker/half on the books. So not sure where that leaves Croker? Still early days, and so many variables but I really hope we don't lose Jamie.

Yeah I was quite surprised myself. Big fan of Jamie. Just came back from injury and have again been impressed with his steady and composed style of play at 7 - I would have thought this was one of the missing ingredients for us.

Re Gordie, I'm sure he is the heir apparent for the 9 at this stage. I'm assuming Jamie will be our 2nd hooker/half on the books. So not sure where that leaves Croker? Still early days, and so many variables but I really hope we don't lose Jamie.
We seem to have too much potential in the one area (halves) and not others (forwards) at the moment. How it shakes out for the halves could go really well for us or be an "oooops, wrong call" and we end up stuck in the mud.

We seem to have too much potential in the one area (halves) and not others (forwards) at the moment. How it shakes out for the halves could go really well for us or be an "oooops, wrong call" and we end up stuck in the mud.
yep, aka ...Nicho Hynes

DCE is on $1.3 mil and we're not paying Latu more than $500K in the next couple years.
Gave you an 'optimistic' about Latu, Manly seems inclined to offer mega bucks to promising youngsters if the reports about Schu's deal are right.
Anyhow after this year DCE will be down to a mil, or even a bit less, according to rumour anyway, whereas Schu is supposedly on 800k from next year and you can imagine what will happen to that if he actually plays a few games and does well.
Either way we look well served for halves so just need a bunch of fast strong energetic athletes to fill all the other spots on minimum wage and we're laughing.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Latu might be ready or close to i st grade level next season so may have to be some flexibility with team selections then . Likely Shu still preferred as the 6 but the option of D C E reverting a bit to a 9 role maybe not that far fetched, even though he is playing some of his best footy at present at 7 , Shu could always be considered as a 13 but would tend to think on the unlikely outcome .

Latu might be ready or close to i st grade level next season so may have to be some flexibility with team selections then . Likely Shu still preferred as the 6 but the option of D C E reverting a bit to a 9 role maybe not that far fetched, even though he is playing some of his best footy at present at 7 , Shu could always be considered as a 13 but would tend to think on the unlikely outcome .
Hey Al, I just can't see DCE wanting to move to 9 in his twilight years. All that tackling! Not that I think he doesn't put ion now but is going to want to be trying to knock over the big fellas all the time. I'm thinking not. 6 and 7 is going to be very interesting over the next couple of years. Who stays and who goes is anyone's guess at this point.

Hey Al, I just can't see DCE wanting to move to 9 in his twilight years. All that tackling! Not that I think he doesn't put ion now but is going to want to be trying to knock over the big fellas all the time. I'm thinking not. 6 and 7 is going to be very interesting over the next couple of years. Who stays and who goes is anyone's guess at this point.
No question about that and took that into account but just thinking more of a longer term perspective . Looks like that Latu has still maintained his zip and still has all of his junior days skill level and we know that the Shu can still be exceptional at his best so would be a shame if one could be lost in the short term . D C E is a pro i st and foremost and like when he played quite a bit at 9 at S O O a few seasons ago to act in his sides best interests[ and his own for that matter ] , and as Joey Johns did [ probably still one of the most complete 7 "s who has ever played ] eventually reverted to a 9 role , really should be not out of the question . Always the option of Shu as a 13 but on balance maybe the D C E 9 option the most helpful scenario .

Schu moving to wing is more likely than DCE moving to hooker!

Gave you an 'optimistic' about Latu, Manly seems inclined to offer mega bucks to promising youngsters if the reports about Schu's deal are right.
Anyhow after this year DCE will be down to a mil, or even a bit less, according to rumour anyway, whereas Schu is supposedly on 800k from next year and you can imagine what will happen to that if he actually plays a few games and does well.
Either way we look well served for halves so just need a bunch of fast strong energetic athletes to fill all the other spots on minimum wage and we're laughing.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
Roosters will buy Latu anyway , probably Schu too. Just so they can boost up their NSW cup team wherever that is now. Central coast I think isn't it. Yeah that's in Bondi too.

Roosters will buy Latu anyway , probably Schu too. Just so they can boost up their NSW cup team wherever that is now. Central coast I think isn't it. Yeah that's in Bondi too.
Fair call but don 't particularly agree. Again real point that i was trying to make is if Latu is well up to i st grade standard and a real asset next season but certainly 2024 , would be a real shame to lose him and not taking into account the development efforts with him to date if he was then inclined to look elsewhere and just possibly occupying a bench spot at best . and again assuming that the Shu is still the best fit as the 6 also short term and long term . just as D C E and Foz were a top halves combo for Manly for whatever time , Latu and Schuster as a longer term pairing sounds pretty good if things can work out . Having D C E as a 9 option [ or even occasionally ] for his say last season and a half maybe not out of the question again

sorry , responded to the wrong post, meant the previous one

Strange heading to this thread. We will need both of these lads as DCE will be gone by the end of 2025.

Latu will be #7 and Schu at #6. Give it 2 more years. DCE gone and we save about $800K to surround them with some decent forwards.
That’s why I thought they have been playing him in the 7 in Reggie’s…looks like a schuster/latu combo is brewing..if humphrey is out of favour or isn’t up to expectations

If... and it's still an if, Latu starts kicking the door down and demands selection, DCE, Latu and Croker sharing 7, 9 and 14 makes complete sense.

It's good to see that we have a lot of options coming through. We will lose some of them but we are in the box seat to keep the best ones.

That’s why I thought they have been playing him in the 7 in Reggie’s…looks like a schuster/latu combo is brewing..if humphrey is out of favour or isn’t up to expectations
Latu had the 7 on his back but was playing 5/8 last week. He was playing and defending on the left all game.

Latu had the 7 on his back but was playing 5/8 last week. He was playing and defending on the left all game.
Left/right and 7/6 are completely interchangeable these days. You're right that most 6s play left but 7 is more an indication of who the primary organising half is. Latu was definitely the organising half against the Bears.

I know it was tried briefly with Toovey but he was a quite different type pf player. I cant see DCE playing hooker. His skill is as a rover, whereas hooker confines him to dummy half. His speed and roving ability would be neutralized and that's his skill. Schuster is a natural five eighth. Lock would diminish his ball playing skill. So I suspect Latu is just going to have to wait for DCE to retire. Yes that creates complications same as has existed in the past with many waiting in the wings Krilich/Jones, Eadie/Batty, Lyons/Blake, Brett Stewart/Tom Trbojevic, DCE/Hodkinson. If he stays he'll probably be DCE's replacement, unless Schuster is enticed elsewhere, or he's enticed elsewhere

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4