Lawton a gun

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des used Crocker Lawton bench rotation perfectly. Crocker put in an absolute shift, one of the first times I saw him visibly gassed, and then lawton came in and kept it locked in the middle. Well done to the both of them!

But we still had 2 left ! Perhaps we could give Schuster Or Gauca are short break in matches ?
Great in theory and I agree it would be great to give these 2 and maybe Jake a rest...but:

You need to keep 1 in hand, just in case, so yeah 1 left
Who can you bring on to rest them...a spent prop rotator or someone you already took off to rest them, ie the Frog?
Catch 22.

I think Karl has a little bit more about his game, especially running & energy, so could overtake Croker... but I don’t see it happening this year.

Croker has busted his guts, looks well liked by the boys and tackles like a machine week in week out, plus has built some chemistry throughout the year. I think he is still first picked (w/out Fainu) but it is close... give Lawton a full season I’d probably be tipping him.

I think Karl has a little bit more about his game, especially running & energy, so could overtake Croker... but I don’t see it happening this year.

Croker has busted his guts, looks well liked by the boys and tackles like a machine week in week out, plus has built some chemistry throughout the year. I think he is still first picked (w/out Fainu) but it is close... give Lawton a full season I’d probably be tipping him.
I'd be happy if Lawton SHARED the 9 duties, a la Api/Fainu, for the rest of the year .Frog was buggered tonight and he needs a break cos he hasn't had one, and finals time won't be any easier. He is very important, don't neglect him.

I'd be happy if Lawton SHARED the 9 duties, a la Api/Fainu, for the rest of the year .Frog was buggered tonight and he needs a break cos he hasn't had one, and finals time won't be any easier. He is very important, don't neglect him.
Not neglecting him at all, as I’ve said he’s 1st choice at the moment and has earnt it. Just more commenting next year Lawton may be eyeballing the spot if Fainu case does stay extended until July 20... in which I wouldn’t write him off

Not neglecting him at all, as I’ve said he’s 1st choice at the moment and has earnt it. Just more commenting next year Lawton may be eyeballing the spot if Fainu case does stay extended until July 20... in which I wouldn’t write him off
Sorry buddy, I wasn't clearer..I meant not to neglect the Frog...he has beat the living shlt out of himself and deserves a break.

Yep. When Lawton, Siro and Taupau came on in the 2nd half we wrestled the game back in our favour. Watching live I thought Siro had a good impact, especially defence and line speed.
Yes I thought Siro was good as well... just doesn't quite have enough grunt in the running game for a middle but he carried lots - chased hard and his line speed was good. Not convinced he is in our best 17 but if Funa gets a game... anyone is a chance. I had my boots, armguard and mouthguard ready at half time because I thought Des might need me for the second half. Now Funa was on a wing, I was a lock - I am now almost ... well - I have a few years on me... but surely I could play better than Funa

I'd rest croaker next week, Lawton to 9 and maybe Cust to bench hooker?
Froggy has done a tonne of work and a week to freshen up could be good.
Yes it’s time to start resting a few of our key players in the lead up to the semis to freshen them up. I think over the next 2 weeks Desmond should rotate players that have had big seasons such as Froggy, DCE, Foz, Kapow.

Especially in tough tight games. Croker was gassed after so much tackling in the first half, glad Des used the bench properly tonight. It made the difference.
Just adds so much more to our middle, we will need this rotation, against the big forwards like Melbourne and it showed against the Raiders in the first half, they was winner the ruck again. Just so much more to our forward pack to give Crocker a rest.

When I first saw Lawton play for Manly I thought he was a gun and should be replacing Croker.

I was wrong. The last month he has not been as effective and tonight against the Storm he was below par. He certainly wasn't the only one.

With Croker back next week, Des might bring in big bopper Sipley and not have Lawton in the 17.

Lawton played his best games in the second row this year. . Last few games Des has brought him on as a hooker. He has been ordinary. As he was tonight.

To be fair Lawton is maybe a better footy player
Thing is - Croker has played super well to rise above the crowd
He will be back- as will Manly

To be honest, I'm confused by the criticism of Lawton tonight. I don't see every little detail and I may well have missed some key things regarding his game tonight. I did notice him chopping down some hard runs a few times in defence and I saw him skipping out of dummy-half and generally distributing well. As I said, I didn't watch him closely so perhaps I'm missing something. I saw plenty of errors from quite a few players, but not Lawton. What did he specifically do, or not do, that I missed?

Last edited:
I actually don't think Lawton did much wrong, it's just he didn't have what Crocker adds to our team. The combinations to our playmakers, the strong middle D, the kicking game. Lawton is just not the right fit, but I don't think he played as bad as people think he did.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8