Lyon's roar at refs' dud calls

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
Not many other games cop as much bad press about their refs and how poor they are as Rugby League in Australia does. It is just horrible

Not many other games are reported on as much by the Daily Telegraph. Which makes its living from creating scandal.

Also what other sports are comparable:
soccer - people don't care enough
netball - same
afl - sure people care but most calls are judgement calls which makes it a lot harder to say right and wrong. Don't forget though they've just heaps of carry on about goal umpires making mistakes - we just don't see it in NSW/QLD. I'm sure people in Melbourne think that AFL has heaps more reffing crises then nrl
cricket - there was plently last summer or the summer before about mistakes - rudi k was getting heaps. At the moment it will be overshadowed by match and spot fixing.

If we had the software/time it would be interesting to do a search through the forums and see if people are actually complaining about the refs more at the moment, or if its a 'things were better in the past' syndrome issue (I'd say that was a partial factor at least). My personal view is that there has been a dip in standards and its time for new leadership - but the sky isn't falling in, getting rid of Finch isn't going to make everything great and we are going to have to live with ref stuff ups forever.

ads link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=184977.msg289331#msg289331 date=1283296003]
Not many other games cop as much bad press about their refs and how poor they are as Rugby League in Australia does. It is just horrible

Not many other games are reported on as much by the Daily Telegraph. Which makes its living from creating scandal.

[/quote]

Are you kidding, plenty of people are more passionate about Soccer than Rugby League globally and you don't often get this kind of **** in Soccer globally

Dan link said:
[quote author=ads link=topic=184977.msg289377#msg289377 date=1283304324]

[/quote]

Are you kidding, plenty of people are more passionate about Soccer than Rugby League globally and you don't often get this kind of s**t in Soccer globally
[/quote]

I was thinking locally.

Even globally is that accurate though or are we just missing out on it. World Cup time I remember heaps about whether they should use video refs for goal decisions and a whole bunch of controversy. Articles everyday about Sepp Blatter's comments about refs and people refusing to answer questions re technology for the refs. Sounds the same to me.

Dan link said:

[/quote]

Are you kidding, plenty of people are more passionate about Soccer than Rugby League globally and you don't often get this kind of s**t in Soccer globally
[/quote]

Are you kidding Dan. Read The Sun newspaper in UK to find out how scandalous the paper's can be and how much they bag refs out.

ads link said:
What about having a screen/booth at the side of the field, that the onfield ref can consult for tries etc where they would now go to the video ref. That way it is still the same ref making the call and they also can confirm what they thought they saw live.

I've heard something similar is in use in the NFL in the states, but I'm not sure on that. Though the NFL is much slower so it gives them more time to stuff about with the decisions.

Would that work? Takes an extra person out of the loop.

I've been saying this for a while now. Bring in a system similar to the NFL where the coach/captain has 3 challenges each half and the refs on the field look at the replays from the sideline to either confirm their ruling or over rule it. The refs on the field will always have a better grasp of the game being played because they are there with the players compared to someone in the bleaches pressing a yes or no button.

Plus, the great thing i like about the challenge system is that it takes away some of the pressure from the refs. The refs make all the calls on the ground including tries, and it's up to the coach/captain to challenge the call if they think there was something wrong with the decision. They only have 3 incorrect cracks at it so it's not like they will use it every decision. It puts the emphases on the coach/captain to decide when the calls need to be reviewed.

Dan link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Forget globally, I am guessing no one read the 10 or so stories in the papers this week about the send of in the Syd FC match.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7