Manly Centres an issue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The Manly centres have been a concern in recent seasons, maybe due to following the steps of the great Jamie Lyon and Legendary Steve Matai...big boots to fill.
Also let's be honest, the service is horrible inside not creating a great amount of opportunities and getting the ball in ordinary positions.
Seem very flat also , which could be down to the middle not gaining enough momentum so the attacking shape is almost level to the ruck, also the fact Des likes a flat structure where the centres are "up" compared to say Rabbits who are always deep to give time to hit the ball at pace and get away clean passes without getting sliced in 2 by the defenders jamming in.
Individually they all have had great moments, but rarely great games - big difference.

• Walker can still be a very dangerous centre, but not convinced he has his Trump card of extra zip, as effected by some bad injuries....I will save judgement till he is in his natural position at centre.
  • Suli has unfortunately been down on form and most importantly - energy...the game against Penrith when you want your key players to step up, didn't seem to want to be out there....huge ability, but surely running out of chances to prove it.
  • Parker is a tough 1, as I find it hard to rip into a bloke who rips in 100% every week and he is 1 of few who does.Unfortunately the slowest centre in the NRL and effects his and Manly's attack big time, though let's flip the coin and talk defence...this bloke is up with the best defensive centres in the game....I personally am not inspired to see him there, but he has been our most solid centre the past 2 years so its a tough call.
  • Harper is a smokey, seems keen, has speed and a step and is dangerous ball in hand....but not sure he is the long term answer, maybe the next month with more game time will give a fairer indication of where he is at.

There's not a great amount of quality centre options available at other clubs, apart from Katoni Staggs who I am a Massive fan, but is pretty unrealistic depending on available coin.
Also many potential stars coming through with young Koula just 1 of many options, Ben T also , but feel he has a few area's to work on before we see him get a shot.

What's the thoughts on where we are and the best way going forward ??

Were Lyon and Matai that fast? I think Matai was... but even if he slowed down he got better at other things.

I'm just thinking re: Parker - surely he knows that he is a decent defender but kinda slow. So he, the coach, someone should be figuring out the best lines, etc so he can get his winger away.

He's not going to do a Saab... but how can he get 'em into a gap.

Jorge wasn't going to do length of the field tries, but give him the ball 10 metres out and most times he would barge on over.

I dunno....

Answers on a penguin.

The Manly centres have been a concern in recent seasons, maybe due to following the steps of the great Jamie Lyon and Legendary Steve Matai...big boots to fill.
Also let's be honest, the service is horrible inside not creating a great amount of opportunities and getting the ball in ordinary positions.
Seem very flat also , which could be down to the middle not gaining enough momentum so the attacking shape is almost level to the ruck, also the fact Des likes a flat structure where the centres are "up" compared to say Rabbits who are always deep to give time to hit the ball at pace and get away clean passes without getting sliced in 2 by the defenders jamming in.
Individually they all have had great moments, but rarely great games - big difference.

• Walker can still be a very dangerous centre, but not convinced he has his Trump card of extra zip, as effected by some bad injuries....I will save judgement till he is in his natural position at centre.
  • Suli has unfortunately been down on form and most importantly - energy...the game against Penrith when you want your key players to step up, didn't seem to want to be out there....huge ability, but surely running out of chances to prove it.
  • Parker is a tough 1, as I find it hard to rip into a bloke who rips in 100% every week and he is 1 of few who does.Unfortunately the slowest centre in the NRL and effects his and Manly's attack big time, though let's flip the coin and talk defence...this bloke is up with the best defensive centres in the game....I personally am not inspired to see him there, but he has been our most solid centre the past 2 years so its a tough call.
  • Harper is a smokey, seems keen, has speed and a step and is dangerous ball in hand....but not sure he is the long term answer, maybe the next month with more game time will give a fairer indication of where he is at.

There's not a great amount of quality centre options available at other clubs, apart from Katoni Staggs who I am a Massive fan, but is pretty unrealistic depending on available coin.
Also many potential stars coming through with young Koula just 1 of many options, Ben T also , but feel he has a few area's to work on before we see him get a shot.

What's the thoughts on where we are and the best way going forward ??
We need one more good centre unless Suli really starts playing well. Keep Walker... at this stage on a reduced contract which is all he will get with this injury. Koula is likely a 2023 player I am guessing. Keep Harper and Parker as a back up plus Harper can play wing and maybe fullback. If Suli doesn't aim up try and offload him depending on what we will have to pay to get him off the books.

Were Lyon and Matai that fast? I think Matai was... but even if he slowed down he got better at other things.

I'm just thinking re: Parker - surely he knows that he is a decent defender but kinda slow. So he, the coach, someone should be figuring out the best lines, etc so he can get his winger away.

Jorge wasn't going to do length of the field tries, but give him the ball 10 metres out and most times he would barge on over.

I dunno....

Answers on a penguin.
Lyon and Matai where fast where it Mattered and that is they both had the necessary speed, lethal step, evasion and skill to score tries feathered friend .

Blast from our proud past by our high performer

Enjoy Manly moments of Glory !

Last edited:
We need one more good centre unless Suli really starts playing well. Keep Walker... at this stage on a reduced contract which is all he will get with this injury. Koula is likely a 2023 player I am guessing. Keep Harper and Parker as a back up plus Harper can play wing and maybe fullback. If Suli doesn't aim up try and offload him depending on what we will have to pay to get him off the books.
Agree. (Though still unsure about Parker, even as a backup. I would only sign one of either Parker or Funa - 150K)

I dunno....

Answers on a penguin.
Killer was deceptively fast. Not just good footwork, but he used to burn his opposites on the outside on a weekly basis. The only centre who got the better of Killer was GI in his prime

My centre depth chart is as follows:
Walker
Parker (just and due to defence)
Harper
Suli
Funa

Outside of Walker the other 4 are much the same imo. Have their good snd bad points. I still want to see more of Harper and agree with original post in that he gives 100%. Like Parker right now I’d rather have guys that give their all. Than lazy blokes.

Funa seems to be a bit forgotten as a Centre too which is his preferred position. I think he might have had sone good moments there last year.

Id be ok with us bringing someone in or working more with what we have. I just don’t want them to blow silly $$$ on a centre.

I dunno....

Answers on a penguin.
On never thought of skivvi as being fast tbh.

Foxsports reporting that Hopoate is unlikely to be resigned by the bulldogs. Whilst I know Hopate is a swear word around here these days, he would not be the worst signing (assuming its not heaps of money).

He could start centre, and be very solid/reliable and provide much better fullback coverage for Turbo's 2022 injuries.

Agree. (Though still unsure about Parker, even as a backup. I would only sign one of either Parker or Funa - 150K)
Well I think we keep Parker and sign one of Garrick/Funa but your idea holds good merit. He can then be a back up winger/centre/maybe fullback. Garrick is really just a winger/backup fullback although I thought he was great at fullback on Friday night. And we need a decent back up fullback. If he could play at that standard as a backup FB every week you would have to keep him. But the jury is out on both at the moment.

Lyon and Matai where fast where it Mattered and that is they both had the necessary speed, lethal step, evasion and skill to score tries feathered friend .

Blast from our proud past by our high performer

Enjoy Manly moments of Glory !

Gee I miss Matai and what he stood for. What a fabulous player. Terribly underrated as an attacker. Not sure we used his attacking talent as well as we could have ... but we had so much attacking talent we probably didn't need it. And yes wow - what a defender! Igor and Matai the two very best defenders of any era - any club.

I dunno....

Answers on a penguin.
They were fast between the ears.

I think Parker will improve with Tommy coming back.

Tommy sweeping in the backline plays will hold up defenders and give Foran, Shoe and Parker that extra vital few seconds.

Foxsports reporting that Hopoate is unlikely to be resigned by the bulldogs. Whilst I know Hopate is a swear word around here these days, he would not be the worst signing (assuming its not heaps of money).

He could start centre, and be very solid/reliable and provide much better fullback coverage for Turbo's 2022 injuries.
The Dogs are not re-signing him,that tells you everything you need to know

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8