Manly guns talk 5/8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Parcell has most components of a quality 5/8, especially with DCE basically controlling both sides of the ruck.

Parcell has vision, speed & anticipation to make him 1 of the best support players in the game- ideal as a running 5/8 to compliment DCE's game.

Also, the kid can tackle...Lyon is the reliable option but Parcell would excell there, though also explosive from dummy half , maybe opens the door to have him & Api both on the field.

From the couple of TV matches I saw of Parcell, he is potentially a brilliant hooker. He looks calm and relaxed and in position at all times, yet also he has explosive pace to take advantage of a hesitant defence. He's our best signing, even including Myles who is a very good signing.

He's so good I doubt he'll be shifted to 5/8.

(Of course, I have been wrong before, but right now I just can't remember when…) :)

His favourite position is hooker & likely to get the gig there SER8....agree our Best signing & is such a talent, could slot into the halves, such is his quality.
When the story broke, just felt he was more ready made Today to fill the 6 than Turbo....

Cameron Smith played a bit in the halves when he was starting out.
Parcell reminds me of Smith (much as I hate to admit it.)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/jamie-lyon-reveals-four-options-to-partner-daly-cherry-evans-in-manly-halves/story-fni3gnk1-1227596088113?sv=e6c835fcbe68c2be2728335cad174adb

Jamie Lyon reveals four options to partner Daly Cherry-Evans in Manly halves

November 4, 2015 2:40pm
Nathan RyanFOX SPORTS

JAMIE Lyon admits his preference is to remain in the centres next season and has offered up four options for Manly coach Trent Barrett to consider as replacements for Kieran Foran’s old No.6 jersey.

While the Sea Eagles skipper acknowledges he too is in the running for the role of partnering Daly Cherry-Evans next season, Lyon believes it could come down to a new recruit.

“I’ve played a little bit there over the years,” Lyon told foxsports.com.au

Tim Moltzen, Isaac John, Feleti Mateo — there’s a few names there.

“I think we’ll dabble around (with combinations) over the next few months.

“I’m happy (in the centres) but I’m not too ignorant as to say I definitely won’t play there.

v1

“If Baz wants me to play there, I’ll play there but obviously I like playing in the centres.”

Moltzen and John have joined the club on one-year-deals, while Mateo has a year to run on his contract.

Mateo, 31, and Lyon, 33, are nearing the end of their careers and would be a short-term fix.

Wee Waa junior Lyon is also off contract at the end of 2016 and contemplating his future.

The reality is the Sea Eagles need a new five-eighth and hooker.

Matt Ballin’s departure to Wests Tigers means either Matt Parcell or Api Koroisau will wear No.9 next season, which is a further shake-up to their spine.

If Lyon is to move out of position to partner Cherry-Evans, it’s yet another change to a team that has already gone through a big transition.

“Obviously you’d like to make as little change as possible,” Lyon said.

“It is a fresh start and we’ve got a lot of players there, so it just depends on how it all works out and what clicks the best.”

Peta Hiku is another option, after the New Zealand international wore the No.6 in the Kiwis’ Test loss to England last weekend.

But Lyon has offered up a left-field suggestion by adding Brett Stewart’s name into the mix as his fourth suggestion for Foran’s replacement.
origin:video_integrator.FoMXBoeDo-gA2Re-tEtSaKrjV54iQz7H

With young gun Tom Trbojevic viewed as a long-term fullback, Barrett could look to move the 19-year-old to the back and shift Stewart.

“He is a great fullback ‘Snake’, but he is a great footballer too and I reckon he would be able to handle it if he was thrown in there,” Lyon said.

But according to Cherry-Evans, the least risky option would be to shift Lyon.

“I wouldn’t say that Jamie is the leading contender but it is no secret he is our safest option,” Cherry-Evans said.

“I haven’t trained with the side yet and we haven’t done any team work, so I’m not sure who it will be.”

I think snake would be a good option . He can organize at the front line with dce and his silky skills would and could be a master stroke . Enter Tommy t to fullback . Just a thought...

I think snake would be a good option . He can organize at the front line with dce and his silky skills would and could be a master stroke . Enter Tommy t to fullback . Just a thought...
Snake will make a great 5/8 IMO although sounds like Lyon will be 5/8

Listening to the trent barret interview, His response the 6 jersey question was this, "with the style of play with matt parcell or koroisau, cherry will be able to move around a bit more, so our 5/8 will be more a runny 5/8 whether it is trbojevic, hiku or isaac john, the role will be running, also brett stewart already has a 5/8 role and can add on that, feleti mateo will also play a sognificant role in ball playing and x factor" OWTTE must say it filled me with confidence and how our 5/8 will work, i think it will suit cherry aswell. Even in the kicking game, Mateo, Stewart, parcell or koroisau can kick, also jake trbojevic can get a repeat set if need be, hes done it twice. I like trents plan and his attitude towards the rugby.

Killer is definitely the best option at 6...Tom T needs a spot in the side and the wing is certainly where he belongs at this stage of his development. It means Hiku can move into the centres where he belongs, and Moltzen and John can stay in NSW Cup where they belong.

another headline could be . .

"Hi-Jacked Bird an Eagle".

For what it's worth, John at five-eighth or,

maybe Sid @ 6, Moltzen @ 7.

I think Killer would do the best job at 5/8 BUT would not have him there. I would like to see one of the other 10 options used and see how they go. When Foz and DCE started out they were at the "great potential" stage. Let hope another one of our available players can go on to some where near the level they have achieved.

My list is Parnell, Api, John, Moltzen, Mateo, Tommy Turbo, Hiku, Stewart ..ok only 8. Oh I forgot the young kid ..maybe not next year. I think we have enough options. Of course we still might be chased Dylan Walker.

And should DCE get injured?

The Final Rev-Up: Manly at sixes and sevens
November 6, 2015 11:49am
By Adam Lucius

Trent Barrett already has his first selection headache as Manly coach: having to pick the replacement for Kieran Foran.

It's the question on the lips of every Manly fan: who will play five-eighth in 2016?

Kieran Foran's departure has left the No.6 jersey wide open.

“I’ve got a pretty good idea in my head on who I want there,” coach Trent Barrett said.

The Manly boss took Sportal through the list of contenders:

Matt Parcell

Barrett says: He's fast, very fast and a brilliant support player. Very fit with good hands.

Api Koroisau

Barrett says: Api's played in the halves before but is a different player again. He's very good with a clever kicking game.

Jamie Lyon

Barrett says: He's played there before and won a comp at five-eighth, although he prefers centre.

Tom Trbojevic

Barrett says: He's an athletic, ball runner with all the skills. Great future ahead.

Peta Hiku

Barrett says: He's a strong ball runner who can off-load. And he is playing No.6 for the Kiwis.

Brett Stewart

Barrett says: Will be fullback but you don't have to play as an out and out five-eighth. We've got a halfback who can run a team and play on both sides of the field.

Tom Wright & John Kelly

Barrett says: It's too early for them. They're only just out of school and will be brought along slowly.

Sea Eagles

Jamie Lyon has bolted out of the blocks at pre-season training to shock Manly’s incoming head of physical performance Dan Ferris by blitzing the first couple of days of testing.

Lyon, 33, struggled through 2014 with “niggly” ankle injuries but the skipper looks to have overcome them nicely for early bragging rights as the Sea Eagles’ fittest man.

“We did some testing on Monday and we did some testing (on Tuesday) and probably the standout I thought in the testing was Jamie Lyon,” Ferris told foxsports.com.au.

“He actually won the backs testing, which I thought was great for our captain and showed he was keen and ready to go.”

Lyon’s not one to draw attention to himself and he made it clear there’ll be no excuses for him to have a below par pre-season.

“I didn’t need (surgery) in the end,” Lyon told foxsports.com.au.

“I had a few niggly ankle injuries last year that were flaring up. They’re all pretty much healed up now and I’m ready to go.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...rs-at-sea-eagles/story-e6frf3yu-1227597906815

Let's hope Jamie has an injury free year.

The Final Rev-Up: Manly at sixes and sevens
November 6, 2015 11:49am
By Adam Lucius

Trent Barrett already has his first selection headache as Manly coach: having to pick the replacement for Kieran Foran.

It's the question on the lips of every Manly fan: who will play five-eighth in 2016?

Kieran Foran's departure has left the No.6 jersey wide open.

“I’ve got a pretty good idea in my head on who I want there,” coach Trent Barrett said.

The Manly boss took Sportal through the list of contenders:

Matt Parcell

Barrett says: He's fast, very fast and a brilliant support player. Very fit with good hands.

Api Koroisau

Barrett says: Api's played in the halves before but is a different player again. He's very good with a clever kicking game.

Jamie Lyon

Barrett says: He's played there before and won a comp at five-eighth, although he prefers centre.

Tom Trbojevic

Barrett says: He's an athletic, ball runner with all the skills. Great future ahead.

Peta Hiku

Barrett says: He's a strong ball runner who can off-load. And he is playing No.6 for the Kiwis.

Brett Stewart

Barrett says: Will be fullback but you don't have to play as an out and out five-eighth. We've got a halfback who can run a team and play on both sides of the field.

Tom Wright & John Kelly

Barrett says: It's too early for them. They're only just out of school and will be brought along slowly.
I loved reading this - offered no insight whatsoever. They sound more like lines from the players bios...

From everything I have read and heard from Trent Barrett in the past few days....it would appear that Killer, however reluctant, currently has the inside running on the #6 jumper.

But I wouldn't discount Hiku being moved there either. Ok, he's no Cliffy but he has gone ok there for the Kiwis so far. Though it has only been two games.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4