Manly has used the least # of players in 2020

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

XV-1

First Grader

Manly has only used 23 players in 2020, the least out of any other NRL teams.

That says it all. We are like the under 13's where we cannot play without our best player.

It also confirms that Des is giving other players in the 30 man squad the least number of opportunities in the NRL.

Des loves stability...unfortunately the backup cattle are not as good as say...the Roosters.
WOuld personally loved to have seen more rookies get a gig and seen this as the Ultimate opportunity, as those few like Guocomole and Funa, have been close to Manly's best imo.
ANyway lets see what this Souths game brings...hopefully less pain.

DESpicable has selected the Sea Eagles' First XI for an upcoming cricket match (in batting order):
Miski
Hopoate
Anderson
Schuster
Metcalf
Harper
Titmuss
Sipley
B Turbo
T Rex (c)
Saddler

The experienced all-rounder T Rex leads this fresh group of players who have been showing great form in the nets.

Because we are travelling so well we have only needed to debut one player this season -- the equal lowest of any club. Compare:
Cowboys = 5, Brisbane = 5, Tigers = 5
Souths = 4, Raiders = 4, Sharks = 4,
Knights = 3, Easts = 3, Dogs = 3, Titans = 3, Worriers = 3
Storm = 2, Eels = 2, Panthers = 2
Illawarra = 1

Only one debut player troubles me especially with the sustained injury toll we have. I really believe that if we are out of contention, that some of these kids need a chance, we need to think of 2021. This is what Penrith did in the last 6 games last season, blooded some of their kids and they are not reaping the rewards. We have nothing to lose!!

Wow, I am sure this comes as a surprise to all of us, but it also confirms what most of the NRL judges were saying about us, “we will struggle with our depth”. This just goes to show that we have a Salary Cap balance that is not sustainable in the longer term because far too much of the cap is invested in a few and we may be caring players that will not play first grade for us, yet we are still paying them.

It does not matter if we do not pay them as much as the top line players, but our team needs a serious overhaul because we just cannot sustain been so top heavy at the expense of youngsters / future NRL standard payers. If we continue to do this then we will just become a nursery for other clubs and will end up in a situation not too dissimilar to the Brisbane. I am not sure who is responsible for this, but this looks quite similar to what happened at Bulldogs and it will not be a quick fix.

An alternative statistic that says a lot...
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 12.21.48 pm.png

I don't understand that stat - is that the total number of weeks that at least one member of your spine has been injured ?? - are they counting Fainu for us to ??
I would read that as cumulative weeks i.e Tomm say 8 +Fainu +14 +walker for what ever etc

Who are all these debutants we should have been giving a game ? Let’s not forget either that guys like Keppie and olakauatu entered the year with 3-4 games between them

Must admit it also amuses me when people who are hot on Des for not giving young players a go were also into Paseka and wanting him dropped most of the year

The one that perplexes me the most is Sipley, would have liked him to be used at some point rather than the 2 backrower bench

It is also very simplistic thinking to suggest that it’s just because Tom is out we don’t win, it’s James Hooper level intelligence.
When Tom has been out , we have also been missing plenty of other players which impacts the performance, most notable Walker and AFB with the likes of Taupau, Sironen, Thompson, Parker etc all thrown in

Boy ... I wish we had all these sensible discussions when Barrett was coaching .... instead of the Cro-Magnon Man mantra of no excuses ....

Who are all these debutants we should have been giving a game ? Let’s not forget either that guys like Keppie and olakauatu entered the year with 3-4 games between them

Must admit it also amuses me when people who are hot on Des for not giving young players a go were also into Paseka and wanting him dropped most of the year

The one that perplexes me the most is Sipley, would have liked him to be used at some point rather than the 2 backrower bench

It is also very simplistic thinking to suggest that it’s just because Tom is out we don’t win, it’s James Hooper level intelligence.
When Tom has been out , we have also been missing plenty of other players which impacts the performance, most notable Walker and AFB with the likes of Taupau, Sironen, Thompson, Parker etc all thrown in
Des will give them a go at 20. That’s his limit. I cannot remember the last player he blooded as a teenager. Hoppa? The dogs were a geriatric borefest at the end. Pay went the youth route without leaders because he was forced to.We have a lot of experienced players to guide youngsters ( unlike Brisbane )so thats no excuse

Early this year we had most players in and Tom was the only one threatening and also stood out in defence so not sure I agree. Our footy was pretty awful even though effort was there.

What I do know is how many teams would tolerate ten tries in total from their first choice three quarters in 15 games regardless of Tom.There are half a dozen individuals players who have scored more.

With Tom out we do not actually run draw and pass backline movements. Not even in the game plan with him out.Its a combination of him being so good he hides vulnerabilities and our backs being so slow and hopeless re kicks without him.

That is a worry no matter how you look at it.Im one of Dessies biggest fans but it’s starting to get very strange out at Narrabeen.

Last edited:
I would read that as cumulative weeks i.e Tomm say 8 +Fainu +14 +walker for what ever etc
Fainu has missed all season = 14 games, Tommy has missed 8 games and Dylan 7 games - Total 29 ??

We knew that we would be without Fainu before a ball was kicked in anger this year - sure it's not ideal but we were at least given the opportunity to do something about during the offseason.

Looks like one of those stats that you just make up

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10