Manly sign Uiti Baker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Give the bloke a bloody chance boys!

Half of U have been bellowing for a big bloke, now he's too big??

He's coming from one of the gun-sides in NSW Cup. (I stand corrected. It was the Ron Massey Cup GF. It happened to be a better quality game, Mounties losin' to the Entrance in the last min, than the NSW Cup canter by the Riff over the Knights anyway).

He's honoured and keen to have a shot (NRL).

At least let the bloke have a pre-season AND play a few games with Us before writing him off.

Fair-dinkum, I'm convinced now some ppl aren't "happy" unless they're "unhappy" (or have something to complain about or criticize).

Ryan said:
Looks like he swallowed George Rose. Sorry guys, forwards need to be mobile as well as big. The games gone past the Jason King bulking / slow type of forwards.

The game has gone past Jason king because he has spent so long at the top. He has been a fantastic player for us on the field and even better off it. Yep old and "bulking" perhaps but take five years and some serious injuries off the bloke and he is exactly what we need now. He is at the end of a long and distinguishe career playing in the hardest position of all and if he had been given a chance at proper rep footy when younger and in his prime (as opposed to ryles bailey weyman white cross omeLy - who he outplayed on a regular basis at club level for the first half of his career in a losing side) then he would have been a champion.

In addition to what @"Top End Eagle" so eloquently and accurately said, I've never viewed King as ever bulking (average size only for a prop) and only slower in comparison in recent years, too.

Five to ten yrs ago he was more than adequate, mobility-wise (plus carrying a quiet, iron-will that added steel to our side, and forwards in particular).

I'd personally like to see Uiti Baker given that preseason, and legendary polish by Donny (and 2V etc) than splash out on Mateo. (He's had years in the NRL, different clubs and coaches) and never got close to consistency in 1st-grade, far less than fulfilling obvious potential.

Young, hungry, and malleable blokes like Baker are far less risk than major eggs in one older and fraying basket (Mateo). Of course he'd likely do better at Manly (like most do).

Something tells me he's just as likely to be the same "hot and cold" problem child here.

A young bloke like Baker is a far less risk, especially financially.

RiverEagle said:
In addition to what @"Top End Eagle" so eloquently and accurately said, I've never viewed King as ever bulking (average size only for a prop) and only slower in comparison in recent years, too.

Five to ten yrs ago he was more than adequate, mobility-wise (plus carrying a quiet, iron-will that added steel to our side, and forwards in particular).

I'd personally like to see Uiti Baker given that preseason, and legendary polish by Donny (and 2V etc) than splash out on Mateo. (He's had years in the NRL, different clubs and coaches) and never got close to consistency in 1st-grade, far less than fulfilling obvious potential.

Young, hungry, and malleable blokes like Baker are far less risk than major eggs in one older and fraying basket (Mateo). Of course he'd likely do better at Manly (like most do).

Something tells me he's just as likely to be the same "hot and cold" problem child here.

A young bloke like Baker is a far less risk, especially financially.
if you want to see how he goes,he is playing now in the Ron Massey cup on Fox

Big slow and a LOT of work to do before he is anywhere near 1st grade standard. Won't see him in the top 25.

FMD. U blokes are kiddin' surely.

He's not slow, not "fat" or even close to a George Rose-type.

He's a big unit, not even the biggest forward on the field, and mobile.

He played long-minutes and was referred to twice at least, that I heard, as one of Mounties best today, CORRECTION again: Ron Massey Cup. The point being he's one of the biggest and best props in that comp.

I can see why we're giving him a go. Even looking forward to that more now. And if you looked at Starling v Baker, you'd think Baker would be the better player. Looks can be deceiving, as I believe Starling proved himself a 1st-grader this season. And Baker, logically, could do the same or better.

And, apart from thinking about what a full pre-season here at Manly can do, I'd trust Dave Warwick, Tooves and Donny Singe, every bloody day of the year, before the "experts" here!

(Good game of footy too; at least decided by a golden-try, as well).

mickqld said:
We need players of the type like Cordner,Guerra,Taumalolo,Sims,Teo,Jackson,Docker,Burgess,Scott,Napa,Klemmer,Evans.

ALL of those blokes are very different for a start. And we've got the equal to a few in Lui, JSL, Symonds, Choc?

And most would be 5 to 10 times more expensive (than Baker) too.

Give the guy a shot FFS!

We spend to much of our cap in the backline when the game is and always has been decided by forwards. With due respect to our props they are a rung below the best. I hope we are adjusting our cap strategy with wingers getting the scraps.

RiverEagle said:
mickqld said:
We need players of the type like Cordner,Guerra,Taumalolo,Sims,Teo,Jackson,Docker,Burgess,Scott,Napa,Klemmer,Evans.

Give the guy a shot FFS!

He will get a shot in reserve grade. He has been at the Storm and the Raiders and bench for reserve grade is his standard. Toovey is a good coach but he isn't a miracle worker.

RiverEagle said:
Give the bloke a bloody chance boys! Half of U have been bellowing for a big bloke, now he's too big??
He's coming from one of the gun-sides in NSW Cup.
He's honoured and keen to have a shot (NRL). At least let the bloke have a pre-season AND play a few games with Us before writing him off.

Fair-dinkum, I'm convinced now some ppl aren't "happy" unless they're "unhappy" (or have something to complain about or criticize).
Hey, lol, @RiverEagle, that's incredible, you've described my soon to be ex wife perfectly !! Do you know her ?

RiverEagle said:

He played long-minutes and was referred to twice at least, that I heard, as one of Mounties best today, in the best the NSW Cup have got.

I can see why we're giving him a go. Even looking forward to that more now.

And, apart from thinking about what a full pre-season here at Manly can do, I'd trust Dave Warwick, Tooves and Donny Singe, every bloody day of the year, before the "experts" here!

Re - it is Ron Massey cup not NSW cup that he is playing in.

Starling was last years NSW cup prop of the year and this bloke is miles behind his standard

RiverEagle said:

He played long-minutes and was referred to twice at least, that I heard, as one of Mounties best today, in the best the NSW Cup have got.

Calm down precious. Leary / Baker are depth signings, and play as such. Signing with The Sea Eagles doesn't automatically make them SOO players. Both these guys would have Starling, Lawrence, JSL, Lui, Andrews, Hasson, Sao, Trbojevic before them in the pecking order anyway.

Therefore, peoples opinions about us needing the big, mobile, aggressive forwards have complete validity. We lack in that area, and got rolled over by the big teams accordingly.

The bloke was slow, even for that level. Slow and immobile.

RiverEagle said:

I agree, he wasn't too bad and with proper training he will improve a lot. I liked what I saw.

I'm not going to change my mind on Baker, because of semantics or pedantics, or even being called "precious" @Ryan

I disagree with your opinion right now.

I liked what I saw; in light of what improvement he could make with Manly.

I especially liked how "humble and grateful" he said he felt to be given an opportunity at a club like Manly.

And you can rest-assured he won't be costing us much on a 2nd-tier deal anyway.

ALL I'll ask, for the LAST time on the subject is: Give him a chance. If he fails next year badly enough to justify these insults, fair enough, THEN.

PS. Congratz @tookey for winning the Tipping Comp.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
RiverEagle said:
Give the bloke a bloody chance boys! Half of U have been bellowing for a big bloke, now he's too big??
He's honoured and keen to have a shot (NRL). At least let the bloke have a pre-season AND play a few games with Us before writing him off.

Hey, lol, @RiverEagle, that's incredible, you've described my soon to be ex wife perfectly !! Do you know her ?

I've known a few as close to it! LOL.

Some blokes here just mirror that old mate.

RiverEagle said:
I'm not going to change my mind on Baker, because of semantics or pedantics, or even being called "precious" @Ryan

I disagree with your opinion right now.

I liked what I saw; in light of what improvement he could make with Manly.

I especially liked how "humble and grateful" he said he felt to be given an opportunity at a club like Manly.

And you can rest-assured he won't be costing us much on a 2nd-tier deal anyway.

ALL I'll ask, for the LAST time on the subject is: Give him a chance. If he fails next year badly enough to justify these insults, fair enough, THEN.

PS. Congratz @tookey for winning the Tipping Comp.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
RiverEagle said:

I've known a few as close to it! LOL.

Some blokes here just mirror that old mate.

No worries mate - more than happy to give him 10 chances. If he comes in and kicks arse in the reggies, makes the team, and becomes the next beast of Brookie, I'll be one happy camper.

Talking to a Raiders player who knows Baker, said if Uiti is fit, he's ok, but he can be a lazy player. Donny will have to crack the Whip!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4